what is the prevelance of atrophic Alzheimers

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Stefan
Contributor
Contributor

what is the prevelance of atrophic Alzheimers

Post by Stefan »

Dale Bredesen talks of 3 subtypes of Alzheimers. Does somebody know what is the prevalence of the atrophic Alzheimer type in relation to the sum of all known Alzheimer types? I could not find a reference in his papers. He talks only of subtype 3, the toxic A., being about 10 % of the total....
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Re: what is the prevelance of atrophic Alzheimers

Post by Sara »

Greetings Stefan. This is a great question and I'm sure someone will have an answer for you. I'll check back in later and if we don't have an answer for you I will dig in and see what I can find out.
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
Jlhughette
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jlhughette »

Hi Stefan,

I don’t know the prevalence of it either except to offer that my Bredesen trained doctor said that she has had good outcomes treating the atropic type.

I’m curious to know as well.
Hughette
3/4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Stefan wrote:Dale Bredesen talks of 3 subtypes of Alzheimers. Does somebody know what is the prevalence of the atrophic Alzheimer type in relation to the sum of all known Alzheimer types?
Hi Stefan,
I think the quick answer to your question is this: Dr. Bredesen's description of types of Alzheimer's is based on his research and clinical practice. It is not currently used widely as a diagnostic or categorization methodology--the whole field of diagnosis is still evolving! Research studies of the incidence of Alzheimer's now mostly focus on using consistent criteria across studies, which mostly have to do with degree of significant change on various measures, or evidence of neuro-degeneration paired with clinical signs of loss of function.

So if someone is evaluated for Alzheimer's, he or she may have a variety of tests (blood tests, imaging tests such as an MRI, more rarely a PET scan, and neuropsychological tests of memory, visual processing, daily living skills, new learning etc.) Based on those tests, the person may meet a cut-off of functioning below typical for people that age and be given a diagnosis of "mild cognitive impairment", "vascular dementia", "Lewy Body Dementia" Posterior Cortical atrophy, or Alzheimer's.
In general, it's likely that in the recent past, many people died "with" dementia, but without the diagnosis of it, and others probably were "diagnosed" with Alzheimer's, but may have had vascular dementia, or other causal illnesses.

I wouldn't rely too heavily on percentages for types; it's more important to look at what your own risk factors might be and work on those.

Hope this helps!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Stefan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stefan »

Hi NF
I want this info just for the sake of knowledge, as i am writing my homepage. I think it is an important figure to be known to the public. And Dale Bredesen mentions in a 2016 paper that the toxic A is about 10 % of the total. Myself being a 4/3 i have run quite a few blood tests, but not having symptoms i try to keep my blood values optimal. And knowing if the percentage of the cold A is 20 or 50 % , with the info on the blood parameters for this type of A given by Bredesen i could optimise my prevention strategy. Anyway i will be having a seminar with Dale Bredesen this spring and will ask him personally this question...
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

How does the treatment for Atrophic differ from the other subtypes?
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

aphorist wrote:How does the treatment for Atrophic differ from the other subtypes?
Treatment for atrophic subtype prioritizes optimizing hormone levels.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Stefan wrote:Hi NF
I want this info just for the sake of knowledge, as i am writing my homepage. I think it is an important figure to be known to the public. And Dale Bredesen mentions in a 2016 paper that the toxic A is about 10 % of the total. Myself being a 4/3 i have run quite a few blood tests, but not having symptoms i try to keep my blood values optimal. And knowing if the percentage of the cold A is 20 or 50 % , with the info on the blood parameters for this type of A given by Bredesen i could optimise my prevention strategy. Anyway i will be having a seminar with Dale Bredesen this spring and will ask him personally this question...
This is just my opinion based on my understanding, and certainly not definitive. My understanding is that the subtype categorization helps to understand what contributing factors are most likely the most important ones having the greatest impact. That can guide interventions. For example, if inflammatory markers are the ones most out of the ideal range, then that might be first area of focus. If markers of insulin resistance show up, then that would be the first priority. The sub-types often overlap. In some recent interviews, I have heard Dr Bredesen state that he has been taken by surprise with the number of type 3 markers he is seeing and that some level of toxicity is much more common than he expected. a friend of mine’s father who was experiencing cognitive decline tested with the highest level of mercury that his doctor had ever seen. Reducing his mercury brought some improvement right away. But that doesn´t mean that if his HbA1c is high, he wouldn´t need to worry about his blood sugar ¨because he is a Type 3¨.
For me, personally, I have not sustained many knocks to the head, my inflammatory markers were good and blood sugar markers were good and hormone levels were almost nothing, so I have been thinking of myself as mainly Type 2 and taking steps to get all the hormones in line. Meanwhile I am checking my heavy metals (results next week) and have looked at the blood markers for CIRS (results good). If Mercury or lead comes back very high, it may be that I would be classified as Type3 and that toxicity is the biggest factor to be looking at. But that would not mean that optimizing hormones was not important. It is easier to say what a subtype is when all of the testing has been done at once, so the comparative “out-of -whackness” of each area can be evaluated.
Again, this is just my interpretation.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Stefan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stefan »

Coming back to the AD subtypes. I asked Dr Bredesen at the London seminar on the prevelance of the different main subtypes. He said they are most often mixed, the prevelance of each type being: inflammatory: about 10%, trophic about 30-40%, toxic being the most prevalent being around 50-60%. I was surprised that the toxic has the highest prevalence!!
I cite that a US nutrigenomics company:
At Lifecode Gx, the APOE Plus DNA Test can help identify and analyse these three subtypes based on genetic results.named at that
i hope this helps
according to my blood valued and my nutrigenomics analysis, being a 4/3, i guess that I have to prevent a dement mixture of the 1.5 and the trophic type.....
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Stefan, thanks for sharing this information with us. I’m not surprised that the toxic subtype has the highest prevalence, given all I’ve learned about mold toxicity, which is one of the issues I’m dealing with. Unfortunatley, mold toxicity is still largely unrecognized. Of course, there are other causes of toxicity, but mold is a big one.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!