"Alcohol is biggest lifestyle risk"

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

"Alcohol is biggest lifestyle risk"

Post by Orangeblossom »

"People who drink to ‘chronic’ levels were 3.35 times more likely to develop dementia at any age compared to more moderate drinkers.
The French researchers analysed hospital records, meaning patients had to have been diagnosed with an alcohol problem to have been defined as chronic drinkers.
But the findings may also apply to drinkers who breach the World Health Organisation limit for chronic consumption. For men, the limit is 7.5 units a day or about three pints of beer, while for women it is five units a day or four small glasses of wine.
The paper is the first major study to look at the link between alcohol and dementia, the Lancet Public Health journal reports.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z57jTQRs6D
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: "Alcohol is biggest lifestyle risk"

Post by CarrieS »

Thank you for posting this Orangeblossom. I've reached the conclusion that anything beyond moderation isn't a good thing.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Brian4
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Brian4 »

We don't even know whether moderation is safe, esp. for 4s.

By the way, here's the free full text:

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpu ... 7/fulltext
ε4/ε4 (for now).
Brian4
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Brian4 »

Oh, and here's another new article, looking at the differential effects of (1) low, and, respectively (2) high levels of alcohol consumption on the glymphatic system. Fascinating article.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-20424-y

Beneficial effects of low alcohol exposure, but adverse effects of high alcohol intake on glymphatic function

But, as with the previous article, APOE status was not examined....
ε4/ε4 (for now).
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

In a secondary analysis of cognitive, genetic and alcohol consumption data collected from members of the Framingham Heart Study Offspring Cohort...

Results: Light and moderate alcohol consumption during late life was associated with greater decline in learning and memory among APOE e4 carriers, whereas light and moderate alcohol consumption was associated with an increase in learning and memory among non-APOE e4 carriers.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3865814/

I tried life with and without a small daily drink. Life is surprisingly good without. Forced me to practice generating a calm, relaxed, confident state without alcohol. I began to appreciate water more than before.
Nords
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Nords »

I always enjoy research which supports my confirmation bias.

I stopped drinking when my father (in early Alzheimer’s) could no longer remember how many drinks he’d consumed before dinner. This contributed to his malnutrition and his eventual perforated ulcer... and it’s what made us move him into a care facility.

http://www.alzheimersreadingroom.com/20 ... entia.html
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement". Royalties go to military charities.
Co-author (with my daughter): "Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation FI."
To contact me, please send a PM.
Jinger
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jinger »

I stopped drinking 1 can beer and one shot of Bourbon in the evening about two months ago after reading Dr Bredison's book. I was worried about the sugar (alcohol). I've seen a major difference in my brain function. I recently learned that I have a single e4 variant. So no more booze for me. I think the e4 issue is not well known. I see most everywhere that a class or two of red wine is ok. Not for me.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

I stopped drinking almost 15 years ago. I'm not good at moderation - abstention is easier.

Anyway, I'm dropping into this topic because I happened across an interesting article today that explores the surprising and oft-cited research showing that moderate drinkers live longer and in better health than teetotalers. Apparently, those touted studies did not exclude former heavy drinkers from the teetotaling groups, and the former heavy drinkers on average are much more likely than the lifelong non-drinkers to smoke, be obese, etc. - healthwise, former heavy drinkers have more in common with current heavy drinkers than they do with other non-drinkers!

There is a lot more here - effects of alcohol on women, youthful alcohol consumption as a mid-life breast cancer cause, alcohol as a potent carcinogen generally, and intentionally misleading advertising and research straight out of the Big Tobacco playbook.

Did Drinking Give Me Breast Cancer?
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Alcohol is in the news again today, I hear on the radio. new study in the Lancet. On general health

http://www.itv.com/news/2018-04-13/drin ... rch-finds/

Here is the article

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lance ... X/fulltext

I have found this challenging as some studies mention moderate drinking can help reduce heart attack risk (in general) and have this B2B2 CETP genotype which has specifically been linked with alcohol being more protective. However overall with the other health risks and the E4 as well think it's best to not drink or just have one small glass on special occasions. It can have a high sugar content as well.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Great article, Marc. I choose not to drink, also. Last time for me was in 2008, when I had a scotch with my brother after my mom passed. I don't miss it, and happy to forego it in social situations. Just not worth the after effects.