Welcome!!!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Korie
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Welcome!!!

Post by Korie »

Hi Foxfors5 :) So glad you found us and are already getting such great info from our members. Hope you find the site informative, supportive, and engaging!!
Functional Medicine Health & Wellness Coach
Apoe4 Intern
ncjlhp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ncjlhp »

Hello,
I am brand new here and was not surprised to find I had one copy of APOE4 given my family history. The surprise was finding out that the other copy was APOE2. Not much out there about that combination that I could find. So, I am appreciative of this group already and have already gone low carb for weight control reasons but now have another reason. I am not a scientist/researcher or academic- just a dentist who enjoys learning about genetics, now with a whole new interest!
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Hi nc, We have a few others with the rare combo of 2/4 which has risks of Apoe4 modulated by the protective Apoe2. As a dentist, good oral care particularly the lack of periodontal disease or amalgam fillings bodes well. Out hygienist declared that my 3/4 mom (non-AD) on the cusp of 100, has unbelievably good gums and teeth. I'm sure we can learn more from you. Please consider posting an intro on "Our Stories".
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

HI ncjlhp,

In addition to all the protective factors of high education level and occupation level (since when is a dentist not a scientist?!) and your interest in lifelong learning, that ApoE 2 one of your parents gave you may confer some real benefit.

Here's an excerpt of a meta-analysis of 4 large cohorts published in March 2017:

APOE-related risk of mild cognitive impairment and dementia for prevention trials: An analysis of four cohorts
http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/a ... 254#sec019
The Generation Study elected to disclose the following “lifetime” risks of MCI or dementia to its potential participants: 30%–55% for individuals with APOE-e4/e4; 20%–25% for individuals with APOE-e3/e4 and -e2/e4 (with a note that risk might be lower for those with APOE-e2/e4); and 10%–15% for individuals with APOE-e3/e3, -e3/e2, and -e2/e2 (with a note that risk might be lower for those with APOE-e2/e3 and -e2/e2). These values are consistent with our findings, but use round numbers for intelligibility, and broader ranges to reflect statistical and other sources of uncertainty.
[Emphasis added]

I'm guessing that you have lots of time to try out a number of strategies, especially with the pace of clinical insights and research on prevention. And if along the way, you find out how to identify and change the genetics in my family that makes most of us reliable (and grateful) frequent flyers to dentists' offices, that would be great too!
4/4 and still an optimist!
ncjlhp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ncjlhp »

I can't seem to figure out how to post to Our Story? Seriously I am not a big dummy- lol! MAybe a little bit dummy..
Maryann
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maryann »

Hello ncjhp! Welcome to the group! Navigation is bit tricky, but gets easier with time.
There is a navigation bar at the top of the page , click on the heading for Welcome. Clicking on that will lead you to good information. You can look in the paragraph Join us, and click on introduce yourself to share more about yourself and your journey. Just above that is a link to the primer that has wonderful information for you as well.
If you are a little dummy you are in good company ... ME ! ( took me time to get used to it too)
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Click instead on the Board Index tab. That will give you the overview of the most recent posting in each Area (Getting Started, Our Stories, Prevention, etc. ) Click on Our Stories; that will take you to current threads. At top, look for starred box with title New Topic. Click on that and give yourself a subject name. “Dentist with ApoE 2/4”? “Dentist turned genetics student”? If you’d like, I’m sure one of our Moderators can just move this thread over:)
4/4 and still an optimist!
Raison
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Raison »

Hi!

I'm new here. I first came across the board a couple of months ago when I first discovered that I'm 4/4, but I wasn't yet ready to register. I'm 51 years old, and I was actually a bit shocked to find this out. I had done DNA testing for other health problems I have, as well as health problems of other family members, not because I had any idea I had such a high risk of AD. Anyway, I've braved the reality, and I'm here now. I look forward to getting to know you all and learning from you all, and I hope eventually to be able to contribute as well.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Raison wrote:Anyway, I've braved the reality, and I'm here now
As a fellow 4/4, I'm glad you're here. Maybe my moniker should be Pollyanna, but because of this website, I'm no longer scared of being 4/4, I feel empowered.

Regardless of how you feel, I'm just glad you're here.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Raison
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Raison »

Thanks so much, Theresa!