Ashwagandha, Curcumin and Other Amyloid Interfering Supplements

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
pharmacydoc
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Ashwagandha, Curcumin and Other Amyloid Interfering Supplements

Post by pharmacydoc »

fahd wrote:Hi

After scouring the Web, I found the attached Theracurmin brand to be the best (90 mg curcumin/pill) and least expensive ($1.41/day) for a full dose of 90 mg twice a day as in the Study mentioned above. See attached screenshots.

1st Option $1.41/day for 180 mg in 2 pills
My Health Store

2nd option $1.50/day for 180 mg in 2 pills
Professional Supplement Center
Amazon has 60 tablets for $ 53, or $1.77 per day. I went ahead and ordered it myself based on the studies and comments. Since I still have a supply of Meriva, I will alternate doses with Theracumin until I have used up the Meriva.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

I’m also using Integrative Therapeutics theracumin . 2 capsules provide 180 grams curcumin.
shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shacherry »

I have a question. Do you guys know what your amyloid to tau ratio is? I had my spinal fluid tested and the ratio is in the very good range. Should I still be supplementing with amyloid interfering supplements? I'm APOE 3/4 age 53 with some memory issues, scoring a 25 on the MoCA just below normal for my age. It's the same cognitive test Trump got a 30 on. I've decided to study harder next time!
ApoE 3/4
rrao2015
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rrao2015 »

As a therapeutic Theracurmin is good. If it is for prevention, I suggest you use Turmeric root. Peel the top layer, chop into small pieces and add it to your pizza, salad, soup etc. I use nearly 4-5 small finger size turmeric root as part of my daily meal. Nearly all of the grocery stores at least in california carry this. It is usually kept next to the ginger root in the produce section.
Maryann
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maryann »

rrao2015 wrote:As a therapeutic Theracurmin is good. If it is for prevention, I suggest you use Turmeric root. Peel the top layer, chop into small pieces and add it to your pizza, salad, soup etc. I use nearly 4-5 small finger size turmeric root as part of my daily meal. Nearly all of the grocery stores at least in california carry this. It is usually kept next to the ginger root in the produce section.

I am curious, are you saying 4-5 finger sized pieces? Or is it a 4-5 inch piece daily?
rrao2015
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rrao2015 »

Unlike Ginger root, Turmeric root is generally smaller, finger or thumb size (3-5 inches long) and has far less branches. I take about 5 thumb size roots and chop them into small pieces for consumption.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Lucy5 wrote:I’m also using Integrative Therapeutics theracumin . 2 capsules provide 180 grams curcumin.
Lucy and anyone else using this brand of Theracumin: Do you have orange powder staining the inside of your bottle? After reading the article about fake supplements that slacker posted and having just bought a bottle of this brand from Amazon.com, I thought I'd ask.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

TheBrain wrote: Do you have orange powder staining the inside of your bottle?
Just checked my bottle, and I do. I also have a bottle of ProHealth brand Longvida and it has some as well -tho not as much. I’m assuming a bit of the curcumin powder escapes from the capsule....
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Lucy5 wrote:
TheBrain wrote: Do you have orange powder staining the inside of your bottle?
Just checked my bottle, and I do. I also have a bottle of ProHealth brand Longvida and it has some as well -tho not as much. I’m assuming a bit of the curcumin powder escapes from the capsule....
Thanks, Lucy. I should have asked this as well: Did you buy your bottle of Theracumin from an "official" source or from Amazon.com? I don't mind that some curcumin powder has escaped from the capsules, as long as I didn't inadvertently buy a fake supplement that has this characteristic.

I thought that perhaps going forward I'd buy this supplement directly from the Integrative Therapeutics web site. However, they don't sell their supplements directly to patients. They want us to buy their supplements from a healthcare professional who has an account with them.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

TheBrain wrote: I should have asked this as well: Did you buy your bottle of Theracumin from an "official" source or from Amazon.com?
I did buy them both off Amazon. Point well taken re: buying direct from company, but having to go thru a provider is a pain. Would be a nice test to buy direct and confirm that the product looks the same.