Thoughts on RECODE

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Thoughts on RECODE

Post by floramaria »

Hi Antimatter, It sounds like you are well on your way to to “life extension through healthy living” yourself! Congratulations on all the positive changes you have made. The dietary piece is a tricky one, and I applaud your ingenuity at adding the veggie powder to begin getting some of the benefits of vegetable consumption without actually eating vegetables. Is there not even one vegetable that you like? Do you hate each and every one equally? If you could start with just one serving pe day of one veggie, maybe you could learn , if not to like it, at least to tolerate it as a “necessary evil”.
Are there ways you could sneak some vegetables into you diet without really noticing? Smoothies can be a great way to do that; a handful or two of spinach in a blender doesn’t affect the taste much as long as thee are other, flavorful ingredients. Or, if you eat tomatoes and like marinara sauce, some chopped onion celery, parsley and basil can melt away and disappear into the redness.
that said, I also encourage you to just take it easy and approach these changes slowly. There is no reason why you have to fully implement every element of the protocol right now. Give yourself some time. And also some appreciation for what you have already accomplished! You are already doing so many things that will support your long term health. Your exercise routine (and that you have been at it for four decades) is really impressive. I have heard, many times, that exercise is the most important thing for cognitive health.
That positive attitude that you express in the final paragraph of your post will serve you well too. There was a post recently about the benefits of optimism on long term cognition.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
antimatter37
Contributor
Contributor

Post by antimatter37 »

The RECODE program currently has no clinical trial results to point to, however there are two newly announced, large-scale, federally funded trials involving multiple universities across the country. These two trials focus on two of the most important components of RECODE, the diet and exercise portions. One would have to think that these trial results, when available, will have an enormous impact on the RECODE program as well.

The MIND trial is a new 3-year trial focusing on diet alone. The "MIND" diet to be used in this trial is a hybrid of the Mediterranean diet and the DASH diet. Without going into specifics, this trial diet is very similar to that included in RECODE (just search online for MIND diet trial to see specifics). There will be 600 individuals, 65 years or older, with no apparent cognitive impairment. The group will include healthy as well as overweight persons and persons who currently are eating an unhealthy diet. The trial completion date is in the year 2021.

The IGNITE trial is a clinical trial focusing on exercise alone and its effects on Alzheimer's. Here, there will be 640 persons ages 65-80 years old. This trial will look specifically at subgroups within the main group including groups based on APOE status, demographics, and baseline amyloid beta burden. Participants will be subject to MRI and PET scans to track the effects of exercise on AB. This trial will begin in September 2018 and end in 2022.

If one or both of these trials show positive results, it will be an exciting time for those of us at higher risk for LOAD!
LBKnudson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LBKnudson »

In a previous post I mentioned that I have dehydrated, powdered and encapsulated spinach, kale, broccoli, parsley and a few other vegetables and herbs. I have noticed that if you ask people if they eat kale, for example, they'll say yes, of course. But ask them when was the last time they actually ate it. It's usually not every day. Same with the others. I originally did it because I'm sort of a prepper and didn't know how to store a lot of those kinds of vegetables for the long term just in case. A whole year's supply of those doesn't take up much space, just a little two-foot square box and it's simple to take it every day. No muss, no fuss. But if somebody serves you a regular salad, so much the better. You can eat all the regular greens on top of the pills but you will be sure to get them every day if you take the pills, too.