Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Post by Tincup »

Werner wrote:Tincup,
thanks for your answer.
Yes, saturated fat is bad, for me, I know.
Digging out more lab results:

LipidPerOx: 64 mmol/ltr
OxLDL: 30 ng/ml

My Doc says, those values are good.
I am still eating "low carb bread" (tons of super good tasting bread in Germany), which is difficult for me to discard. Not much left to eat then, basically fish and vegetables.
I haven't tested LipidPerOx and the units on my OxLDL test are U/L so don't have a perspective on ng/ml. Perhaps lower LDL is not needed? A question I'd ask the doc. Gundry does not focus on LDL for us. There are other heart/blood vessel tests Gundry orders for us, If you've not seen, we've linked all our consultation transcripts and test results in this post.. We had a consult last week and will upload the results and transcript once the transcript is done.
Tincup
E3,E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

In this post is a transcript of our (Theresa's & my) 6th consultation with Dr. Gundry. Links to the other 5 are here. This link has a compilation of links to Gundry, Bredesen & Wahls interviews & etc. in addition to our previous transcripts & labs. In addition to discussing our labs, we have over twenty minutes of more general questions (which is true for our other consultations also).

Most recent food lists. Note, these food lists do not have Dr. Gundry's ApoE4 restrictions. In the animal/fish/dairy realm he suggests we restrict to shellfish, whitefish and omega 3 or pastured eggs. Also he suggests restricting coconut oil and he is unsure if MCT oil is good for E4's.

Consultation transcript, our diet and supplements and other notes:
G T Gundry Transcript Combined Diet Supp LabCorp.pdf
My labs:
18_02 Gundry consult redacted lab tests combined, Male.pdf
T's labs:
18_02 Gundry consult redacted lab tests combined, Female.pdf
Thanks hugely to Theresa who did the yeoman's work of transcribing the consult!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
E3,E4
Mechelle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mechelle »

This is absolutely amazing information. Thank you so much, Tincup! BTW, I am a huge fan of Dr. Ron Rosedale. When I was starting LCHF 6 years ago, both Gundry and Rosedale's books were important to me. Neat to now know they've never met. I assumed they had...
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

jeff wrote: 1) I am 73- apoe3/4 . What i thought were " quaint" Sr. moments, are predromal signs- immediate short -term memory problems.
I can't tell for sure from Bresenden Protocol what's best- H. E(Lion's Mane), Bocopa, citicholine- I just started Mg Threonate.
or maybe you do something else. Thanks, jeff
Hi Jeff, Obviously I am not Tincup, and perhaps you wanted to know specifically what he takes. For myself, as per Dr Bredesen's recommendations, I take all of the supplements you mention above every day, plus others Dr Bredesen recommends. My impression/hope, personally, is that they have a synergistic effect. I recently heard Dr Bredesen answer a question about the most important herbal supplements; he responded that he recommends that everyone take Ashwaghanda and Bacopa, so Ashwaghanda is another one you might consider.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

Tincup wrote:In this post is a transcript of our (Theresa's & my) 6th consultation with Dr. Gundry. Links to the other 5 are
Aren't you concerned about a B12 level so high?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

aphorist wrote:Aren't you concerned about a B12 level so high?
Per Gundry's previous comments on my B12 level, no. It was he that doubled my methylcobalamin to 10 mg/day last Aug. I'd been at >2000 in 2015 and we'd chatted about it then. It was not an issue for him this time.
Tincup
E3,E4
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

Tincup wrote:
Per Gundry's previous comments on my B12 level, no. It was he that doubled my methylcobalamin to 10 mg/day last Aug. I'd been at >2000 in 2015 and we'd chatted about it then. It was not an issue for him this time.
Yea, I'm sure it's all roses to a cardiologist like Gundry. Show that lab value to an oncologist and ask him what he thinks about the long-term cancer risk of being in the top 1%ile of B12 serum levels and he'll probably not have the same viewpoint.
NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NancyM »

Thanks for this Tincup and Theresa. So much interesting information. I ordered the OmegaVia DHA from Amazon before I even finished reading the whole interview!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

As a former vegan, with two half MTHFR mutations, not to mention my 4/4 status I’m ecstatic about having gotten my B-12 levels up.
When googling B-12, all the talk seems to be about deficiency which can lead to damage especially in the brain and nervous system.

According to Wikipedia (accessed 26 Feb 2018) – “Elevated levels of serum B12 (cobalamin above about 600 pmol/L) in the absence of dietary supplementation or injections may be a diagnostic sign of serious disease. In such cases B12 is thought to be a marker for disease, not the causal agent.” But I’m supplementing and have no other indications of disease.

So your comment
aphorist wrote:Show that lab value to an oncologist and ask him what he thinks about the long-term cancer risk of being in the top 1%ile of B12 serum levels and he'll probably not have the same viewpoint.
led me to refer to the book The Metabolic Approach to Cancer, co-written by Dr Nasha Winters, who is an integrative oncologist.

She speaks about the importance of B12 repeatedly in her book saying “this vitamin plays a starring role in maintaining genetic health.”
Also from the book:
Practicing a ketogenic diet, fasting, balancing amino acids, increasing methyl-donor and folate-rich foods, optimizing B12 levels, and consuming specific plant derived phytonutrients are the cornerstones of our genetic enhancement strategy.
And there is a growing body of evidence that certain dietary compounds - including folate, Vitamin B-12, tea polyphenols, cruciferous vegetables, and more have anticarcinogenic properties because of their relationship to DNA.” (footnote: Gordana Supic, Maja Jagodic, and Zvonko Magic, “Epigenetics: A New Link between Nutrition and Cancer,” Nutrition and Cancer 65, no. 6 (August 2, 2013): 781– 92, doi: 10.1080/ 01635581.2013.805794.)
Now she does caution about fortified forms of B12 being toxic. The book also says,
However, the form of B12 used in fortified cereals, bread products, milk, brewer’s yeast, supplements, and other foods is cyanocobalimin, produced using the chemical form of cyanide (potassium cyanide). Cynocobalimin is not a naturally occurring B12 despite its ability to raise B12 deficiency clinically. This artificial form of Vitamin B12 is mitochondrial poison!
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

Practicing a ketogenic diet, fasting, balancing amino acids, increasing methyl-donor and folate-rich foods, optimizing B12 levels, and consuming specific plant derived phytonutrients are the cornerstones of our genetic enhancement strategy.
Optimizing B12 levels to me does not mean, let's jack this value up to the top 1-2% of all individuals. Here is the NHANES data over various years/cohorts.

I personally have problems with B12. My B12 always runs low. I have to supplement to keep this figure up. But why on Earth should I or anyone shoot for 2000 pg/mL. It's crazy to me. I aim for 400-600 pg/mL range.
However, the form of B12 used in fortified cereals, bread products, milk, brewer’s yeast, supplements, and other foods is cyanocobalimin, produced using the chemical form of cyanide (potassium cyanide). Cynocobalimin is not a naturally occurring B12 despite its ability to raise B12 deficiency clinically. This artificial form of Vitamin B12 is mitochondrial poison!
This is a bunch of nonsense. Cyanide is something like 2% of the overall cyanocobalamin molecule. You will get more cyanide poisoning in a handful of almonds than a 500 mcg cyanocobalamin tablet.

Here is some more detailed math: http://jacknorrisrd.com/safety-of-cyani ... cobalamin/

Maybe Dr. Winters next book will be: "Mercury is in vaccines and it's killing all of us!"