Keto diet and dry mouth

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
ElaineB
Contributor
Contributor

Keto diet and dry mouth

Post by ElaineB »

Since starting this diet about 6 weeks ago I wake up most mornings with an extremely dry mouth that feels parched. I was just wondering if this was common and what I can do about it. I don't want a lack of saliva in the night to damage my teeth. Is there something I need to do to stop this or will it go away in time?

Elaine
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Keto diet and dry mouth

Post by Sara »

Check out the link below and see item #3 about dry mouth. Bottom line... it is a common symptom of ketosis - drink plenty of water! To get an approximate idea of how much water to drink each day - divide your weight in half. So a person weighing 150 pounds should try to drink 75 oz of water per day. This is especially important when you are on the ketogenic diet. Good luck!

https://keystoketosis.com/the-4-ketosis ... oking-for/
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Julie G posted this link on how to manage possible side effects of ketosis for another member who complained of dizziness. Also a very good resource for self care while adjusting to ketosis.
Slacker
E4/E4
ElaineB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ElaineB »

Thanks Sara and Slacker, most helpful. Looks like I need to drink more water and take some salt. Very interesting links from both of you which I shall save for future reference.
ncjlhp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ncjlhp »

Elaine, I am experiencing this as well with a low carb diet. I am a dentist and have seen 1000s of time the havoc dry mouth can cause, especially in elderly patients on all those mouth drying drugs. Be positive your teeth are immaculately clean including flossed ((technique is important or you will miss the line angles of teeth- biggest mistake I see in flossers) just before going to bed. Don't use those mouth rinses with alcohol in it- they also dry the tissues. There are fewer of them on the market today. If you have receding gums (for any reason- I assume everyone on here understands the relationship of periodontal disease and inflammation in the body), dry mouth is even worse. Root surfaces are more prone to decay in all circumstances, especially in dry mouth circumstance. I am not a big pro fluoride person ( as is the ADA), I am just saying it works but if you keep everything clean, you should be fine. There are other protective substances, essential oils ( not all safe either), specific probiotics for theoral cavity etc. Control the bad bugs in your mouth, control the sugar ( carbs) , mechanical removal of the junk - it all works.
Maryann
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maryann »

Wow Thank you ncjhp! Its great to have a dentist among us!
seaweed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by seaweed »

ncjlhp wrote:Be positive your teeth are immaculately clean including flossed just before going to bed.
Would using liquid melatonin that is flavored with "natural black cherry flavor" right before bed (but after having brushed and flossed) cause problems?
4/4 & prior CIRS (lyme + mold)
ncjlhp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ncjlhp »

If there is no sugar ( any carb, not just processed sugar) in it, I do not believe it would be a problem. If there is alcohol in it, as in many flavorings, it could be a problem. I do not know this particular product.
seaweed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by seaweed »

ncjlhp wrote:If there is no sugar ( any carb, not just processed sugar) in it, I do not believe it would be a problem. If there is alcohol in it, as in many flavorings, it could be a problem. I do not know this particular product.
It says free of sugar and sweetener:

Other Ingredients: Vegetable Glycerin, Water, Natural Black Carrot and Black Currant Concentrates (color), Citric Acid, Natural Black Cherry Flavor, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Benzoate (preservative), Potassium Sorbate (preservative).

FREE OF: Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Soy, Yeast, Sugar, Artificial Flavor and Sweetener.
4/4 & prior CIRS (lyme + mold)
ncjlhp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ncjlhp »

I recommend Dr Lin " The Dental Diet" https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... even%20lin That is his FB page. I agree with some, but not all, of his thoughts and he is in alignment with Dr Bresdesen and Dr Gundry for the most part, although he isn't about Apoe4 at all. I am so impressed with everyone on this site. I know you will be able to discern fact from fiction, snake oil from medicine. I have practiced dentistry for 32 years. Some conventional dentistry is stellar and some of it is harmful. I will answer your questions if I can.
Jan 4/2