Gathering Recipes—I need your help!

ncjlhp
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Gathering Recipes—I need your help!

Post by ncjlhp »

Thank you , Slacker! I ate a piece of sourdough bread yesterday and it tasted like the Elixir of the Gods! Lectin Free Mama had a hack for getting the seeds out of canned peeled (organic) tomatoes using a salad spinner. I am going to do that, put them in the instant pot and try for some spagetti (less) sauce. Looking for a good noodle hack since apparently zucchini is a no no as well.
ncjlhp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ncjlhp »

Circular, thanks for the leek tip for soup. I do not like coconut in any form. I think I need to acquire a taste for it given everything that I have learned. I do fry up cauliflower rice with some veggies , seseme oil, lots of garlic, ginger and a little bit of rice wine (shaoxing). It is reasonable in flavor, not texture. I have to figure out how to get some of the water out of it. It certainly has some potential. My girls think it is gross and disgusting, but really it is quite tasty.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

ncjlhp wrote:Thank you , Slacker! I ate a piece of sourdough bread yesterday and it tasted like the Elixir of the Gods! Lectin Free Mama had a hack for getting the seeds out of canned peeled (organic) tomatoes using a salad spinner. I am going to do that, put them in the instant pot and try for some spagetti (less) sauce. Looking for a good noodle hack since apparently zucchini is a no no as well.
I was not trying to encourage anyone to cheat, just to fess up that perfection is elusive! And if one decides to cheat, enjoy it!

Zucchini is a no no if you are trying to follow the Gundry lectin free approach. Same with tomatoes, with the seeds particularly high in lectins (if I remember correctly). Not my expertise. Tincup and TeresaB live the Gundry approach, and are great resources on Gundry and lectins for future reference.
Slacker
E4/E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

In a pinch you can use Pomi tomatoes in a carton, which are already deseeded and peeled, but they're not organic.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
ncjlhp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ncjlhp »

Slacker, the tomato hack was not as easy as I thought..... but it did work some. I will work on it. I am not convinced of the lectin thing so far , but I also know that I am a beginner and maybe having some wishful thinking in terms of food. I have given up zucchini which is not a big deal. Good news, I did find a source for pastured chicken near me, so I will be implementing that part of the diet. I am having a hard time finding thoroughly scientific literature regarding lectins, MCT oil and other recommended dietary things. I am a biologist by training, BS, MS and a DDS for profession. I get evidence based medicine, and I am a scientist at heart. Big dose of skepticism thrown in for good measure. But still, hope springs eternal.
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

nc,

For an overview of threats to health and life, you might want to go here and choose your age group, sex and country, and choose DALYs.

https://vizhub.healthdata.org/gbd-compare/

Carriers of e4 can multiply the Alzheimer's area by a factor of 2 to 5. That still leaves a whole world of other unpleasant conditions.

When thinking of eating habits, I believe it's wise to consider an overview of threats. Otherwise tunnel vision can lead people to act against their own best interests.

Anti-cancer, anti-depression, anti-anxiety, anti-infection, anti-sarcopenia, anti-eating disorders, anti-loneliness, and more: all these are useful considerations in choosing healthy eating habits. Plus, there's the whole layer of palatability, feasibility and sustainability to consider on top of that.

I believe that the best eating habits for an individual are those which enrich their quality of life, increase their healthspan, and are sustainable by that individual. Sometimes this involves being sceptical about tunnel-vision analyses. I believe it's useful to pluck the low-hanging fruit in terms of clearly useful eating habits, and then keep tweaking to boost well-being and functional ability.

Reliance on scientific evidence serves you well, as does an overview of the interacting systems in the human body.
MadScientist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MadScientist »

Obviously, alter them to suit your needs (e.g. use some other oil or leave out cooking spray). I usually make up the "rub" and use it on an individual serving basis. Enjoy!

Sweet-Spicy Glazed Salmon

Sweet, spicy, salty, sour—just four ingredients hit all the flavor notes in the sauce for this top-rated dish. Chinese-style hot mustard has a sharp bite similar to that of wasabi. If you don't have it on hand, use Dijon mustard or 1 teaspoon of a dry mustard such as Coleman's.

3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
4 teaspoons Chinese-style hot mustard
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick)
Cooking spray
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 425°.
Combine first 4 ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
Place fish on a foil-lined jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes. Remove from oven.
Preheat broiler.
Brush sugar mixture evenly over salmon; broil 3 inches from heat 3 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet)

CALORIES 252 (37% from fat); FAT 10.3g (sat 2.3g,mono 4.4g,poly 2.5g); IRON 0.9mg; CHOLESTEROL 65mg; CALCIUM 33mg; CARBOHYDRATE 11g; SODIUM 470mg; PROTEIN 27.7g; FIBER 0.1g

Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2003

Sweet Orange Salmon
Cooking Light
Eight ingredients combine in a spice rub that would also be good on pork tenderloin medallions. Serve with orange wedges.

2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon grated orange rind
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
Cooking spray

1. Preheat broiler.
2. Combine first 8 ingredients in a small bowl. Rub spice mixture over both sides of salmon fillets. Place salmon on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil for 8 minutes or until salmon flakes easily when tested with a fork. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet).
4. CALORIES 303 (39% from fat); FAT 13.3g (sat 3. lg, mono 5.7ft poly 3.2g); PROTEIN 36.2g; CARB 7.5g; FIBER 0.5g; CHOL 87mg; IRON lmg; SODIUM 235mg; CALC 33mg

Indian-Spiced Roast Salmon (1)

1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1/1/4-inches thick)
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon olive oil
¼ cup plain yogurt
4 lemon wedges

1. Heat oven to 400 ℉.
2. Combine first 8 ingredients in a shallow dish. Sprinkle fillets with salt, dredge fillets in spice mixture. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium- high heat. Add fillets, skin sides up; cook 5 minutes or until bottoms are golden. Turn fillets over. Wrap handle of skillet with foil, bake at 400 ℉ for 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove skin from fillets; discard skin. Serve with yogurt and lemon wedges. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet, 1 tablespoon yogurt, and 1 lemon wedge).
Calories 301 (46% from fat); FAT 15.4 g (sat 2.7g, mono 7.7 g, poly 3.2 g); PROTEIN 35.9g; CARB 2.6 g; FIBER 0.3 g , CHOL 111 mg; IRON 1.6 mg; SODIUM 390 mg; CALC 54 mg.

Indian-Spiced Roast Salmon (2)

Cooking Light

4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1-inches thick)
Cooking Spray
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
2/3 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

1. Preaheat oven to 425 ℉
2. Place salmon, skin sides down, in a roasting pan or jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Brush evenly with juice. Combine ½ teaspoon salt and next 5 ingredients (salt through red pepper), and sprinkle evenly over fish.
3. Bake at 425 ℉ for 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Combine yogurt and cilantro, and serve with fish. Yield 4 servings (serving size: 1 salmon fillet and about 3 tablespoons yogurt mixture.

CALORIES 300 (40% from fat); FAT 13.2g (sat 3.1g, mono 5.7g, poly 3.2g); PROTEIN 38.7g; CARB 4.3g; FIBER 0.3g; CHOL 88mg; IRON 0.8mg; SODIUM 403mg; CALC 107mg.

Spice-Rubbed Roasted Salmon with Lemon-Garlic Spinach

SALMON:
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (2 1/4-pound) skinless salmon fillet
2 cups thinly sliced onion
Cooking spray

SPINACH:
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (6-ounce) packages fresh baby spinach
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

REMAINING INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Lemon wedges (optional)

Preheat oven to 400°.
To prepare salmon, combine first 6 ingredients; rub spice mixture evenly over fish. Place onion in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Place fish on top of onion; bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness.
To prepare spinach, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic to pan; cook 1 minute. Add half of spinach; cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add remaining spinach; cook 4 minutes or until wilted, stirring frequently. Sprinkle spinach mixture with rind and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in juice; remove from heat.
Place salmon on a platter. Arrange onions and spinach evenly around salmon. Sprinkle salmon with chopped fresh cilantro. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
Wine note: This salmon has lots of rich, piquant flavor and needs a wine that won't be intimidated by such bold spices as cumin, coriander, and cinnamon. Riesling's fruitiness offsets the spices while its clean, pure freshness is exactly the right counterpoint to the rich salmon.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 4 1/2 ounces salmon and 1/3 cup spinach mixture)

CALORIES 325 (37% from fat); FAT 13.2g (sat 2g,mono 4.6g,poly 5g); IRON 3.6mg; CHOLESTEROL 107mg; CALCIUM 76mg; CARBOHYDRATE 10.7g; SODIUM 472mg; PROTEIN 40.3g; FIBER 3.4g

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2007

Broiled Salmon with Peppercorn-Lime Rub

4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 3/4 inch thick)
Cooking spray
2 teaspoons grated lime rind
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
Lime wedges (optional)

1. Preheat broiler.
2. Place fish, skin sides down, on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Combine remaining ingredients except lime wedges; sprinkle over fish. Broil 7 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Quinoa-vegetable salad: Combine 1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth and 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa in a medium saucepan; bring mixture to a boil. Cover and simmer 12 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed. Stir in 1 1/2 cups chopped zucchini and 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet)

CALORIES 318 ; FAT 18.5g (sat 3.7g,mono 6.6g,poly 6.7g); CHOLESTEROL 100mg; CALCIUM 28mg; CARBOHYDRATE 2.2g; SODIUM 336mg; PROTEIN 34.1g; FIBER 0.6g; IRON 0.8mg

Cooking Light, MAY 2009

Grilled Pastrami-Style Salmon
The classic seasonings associated with beef pastrami taste fantastic on this grilled salmon. Allspice is a fairly strong spice, so if you're sensitive to its "burn," use the lesser amount. Purchase a whole center-cut salmon fillet so that It will cook more evenly than a cut that contains the thinner tail end.

Total time: 35 minutes
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 (1 1/2-pound) center-cut salmon fillet
1/2 teaspoon olive (or avocado) oil
Cooking spray

1. Prepare grill.
2. Combine first 7 ingredients. Place salmon fillet, skin side down, on a cut-ling board or work surface; brush evenly with olive oil. Sprinkle spice mixture evenly over salmon- gently rub mixture into fish. Cover lightly with plastic wrap, and chill 15 minutes.
3. Place fish, skin side down, on a grill rack coated with cooking spray, grill 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 4 1/2 ounces).

CALORIES 230 (41% (ram fail: FAT 10.5g (sat 2.4g. mono 4.7g,
poly 2.4g); PR0TEIN 27.4g CARBS 4.9g, FIBER 0.6g; CHOL 65mg;
IRON 0.8mg: SODIUM 532mg; CALC 26mG

Elizabeth Karmel is the creator of GiRLSATTHEGRILL.com. From Cooking Light

Wild Salmon with Rosemary Sweet Potatoes and Lemon Asparagus
(unsure of source)
Serves: 2
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes

“Rosemary for remembrance,” an age-old adage, holds true today, as this aromatic herb in the mint family offers antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits important for memory.

• 2 small sweet potatoes, sliced
• 1 small yellow onion, sliced
• 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• pinch sea salt
• 1 clove garlic, pressed
• 2 tsp. dry mustard
• 1 tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
• 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
• 1/2 pound fresh asparagus
• zest of 1 lemon
• 8 oz. wild salmon cut into two 4-ounce portions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit on a cookie sheet, and then lay it on the sheet. Wash the unpeeled sweet potatoes and onions and slice 1/4" thick. Put sweet potatoes and onions on the parchment paper in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and salt. Bake for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix garlic, dry mustard, lemon juice, and rosemary to make a paste, and set aside.
Remove sweet potatoes and onions from oven (keep on the cookie sheet). Place the asparagus on the paper next to the sweet potatoes and onions. Sprinkle the lemon zest and on the asparagus. Lay salmon on top of the asparagus and onions. Spread mustard paste on top of salmon.
Return sheet to oven and roast for 12 minutes. Salmon is done when flesh flakes with gentle pressure.

Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: Calories 548; Carbohydrates 46 g, Fiber 10 g, Protein 40 g, Fat 25 g, Cholesterol 94 mg, Sodium 230 mg, Calcium 150 mg
ApoE 3/4, female, 63 yrs
MTHFR compound heterozygous
MadScientist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MadScientist »

I made this and left off the apple cider, and it still tasted good. I bought 1-lb frozen organic kale from whole foods, and used one chopped apple, and avoided nitrates/nitrites in the bacon.

Braised Kale with Bacon and Cider

Yield
6 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup)
JUDY LOCKHART
January 2004
RECIPE BY COOKING LIGHT
This recipe calls for what might appear to be a lot of kale, but it wilts to a manageable amount in the pan. The dish is a suitable side for roast chicken or pork. Also, consider using kale as a stand-in for spinach in other dishes. This low-calorie side dish has about 15 percent of the minimum daily recommended amount of fiber.
Ingredients
• 2 bacon slices
• 1 1/4 cups thinly sliced onion
• 1 (1-pound) bag chopped kale
• 1/3 cup apple cider
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
• 1 1/2 cups diced Granny Smith apple (about 10 ounces)
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

How to Make It:
Step 1
Place a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon; cook 5 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in pan. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
Step 2
Increase heat to medium-high. Add onion to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add kale, and cook 5 minutes or until wilted, stirring frequently. Add cider and vinegar; cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add apple, salt, and pepper; cook 5 minutes or until apple is tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with bacon.
ApoE 3/4, female, 63 yrs
MTHFR compound heterozygous
McGido
Contributor
Contributor

Post by McGido »

While we are on the topic... is there a least harmful type of rice, and a least harmful way to prepare it? It's the only food I really struggle to give up because Sushi, Indian and just love it as a base for veggies.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

McGido wrote:While we are on the topic... is there a least harmful type of rice, and a least harmful way to prepare it? It's the only food I really struggle to give up because Sushi, Indian and just love it as a base for veggies.
Cauliflower "rice" looks pretty decent on paper. Broccoli rice seems to take the fiber content a step farther, but it's pretty hardy stuff... the broccoli chunks from the grocery store (Green Giant) are almost sharp around the edges. As a base in vegetables, it works great. In sushi, it leaves much to be desired. I like to use them as an alternative to beans in chili recipes.

Pressure cooked sprouted Red Rice or Brown Basmati also looks decent to me. I've heard the argument that white could be better from a lectin stance. I've had these cooked with a pinch of saffron, then tossed in a cap of longvida curucmin extract with olive oil, where you got a polyphenol powerhouse of a rice. The lecithin from the curcumin actually makes long grain rice sticky like sushi rice (it's a feature, not a flaw!)

For sushi rice, I've read you can cook with a bit of coconut oil in the pot, then cool it, reheat (bonus points if you cool & reheat twice), and you get a low GI (RS-rich) sushi rice. Post workout on a carb refeed day, I think you can squeeze any of these in without major concerns. Ymmv.

I've been meaning to get around to trying this out:
https://blog.bulletproof.com/purple-swe ... ll-recipe/