New here - At which other genes should I look?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Kili
New User
New User

New here - At which other genes should I look?

Post by Kili »

So 23andme results came back yesterday with 3/4, which I suspected, due to family history. I did promethease and am now trying to sort through it. During the last 24 hours as I have been perusing various sites and forums several times ppl are saying that they also have "this gene" or "that gene." My question - are there specific other genes to look at in promethease that can either lower or heighten risks?

On another note, I have told some family members, because I think knowledge is power, but they were not as open (even though the history speaks for itself) - so thank you for this forum.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New here - At which other genes should I look?

Post by SusanJ »

Kili wrote:are there specific other genes to look at in promethease that can either lower or heighten risks?

Hi Kili,

IMHO, Promethease is kind of overwhelming for anyone just dipping a toe in the genetic waters. And many genes listed in Promethease don't necessarily translate to any specific actions.

One place to start would be in your methylation genes. You can work your way through the list starting here.

Personally, the most useful information I've received back from any report was from Strategene. It's $45 but it lists a couple of pages of important genes, highlights your variants and gives some idea of what you might do to support those variants, based on published research and Lynch's own practice.
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

Kili wrote:So 23andme results came back yesterday with 3/4, which I suspected, due to family history.
Kili, I am so there! I am just starting week 2 with my results. Still reading kind of randomly. Thanks for asking the question I haven't gotten around to. Other genes? Which genes? LOL I have a lot to learn.

I was reminded today while hiking of what I learned many years ago, and you have now reminded me of it again.

I can handle pretty much anything as long as I am willing to go slowly enough and take small enough steps.

Now that seems to apply to how I can tackle these genes opportunities.

My best to you and all of us who are on this road.

Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

SusanJ wrote: One place to start would be in your methylation genes. You can work your way through the list starting here.

Personally, the most useful information I've received back from any report was from Strategene.
Susan, you did it again. This is the perfect answer for the questions I haven't asked. I'll start with the MTHFR as I know I saw some things about that in my report.

As of today, I am no longer stressing on DNA and back on my personal protocol plan. I'll save the DNA for rainy days and the occasional free evening when I can look into things for an hour or two, and make progress gradually, like unravelling a good book with a mystery.

You are a treasure!

Thank you,

Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Drae, I've just been where you all are standing. Not knowing exactly where to go next with all that genetic information. My doctor was the one who originally suggested looking at methylation genes because they underlie so much chronic illness (along with diet and lifestyle of course). It took me several years of research to only begin to understand the methylation stuff, and that's why I shared it on the wiki. Huge topic, but hugely important to health.

Small steps are definitely the way to do this genetic stuff.