Question about stevia...

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Nannies23
Contributor
Contributor

Question about stevia...

Post by Nannies23 »

Besides carrying the 4/4 Gene, my blood work also showed I was at risk for insulin resistance, which was another shock, (but not quite as electrifying as the 4/4 news), which surprised me because I’m not much of a sweet eater. I’m not one to eat desserts , cakes, candy or anything like that but I am a salt freak; chips, popcorn, pizza, French fries. So I guess most of my sugar comes from foods like breads, which is going to be the hardest thing for me to give up; yogurt chips, popcorn, etc. So now I’m researching the use of stevia and I’m getting all kinds of mixed info; some say it’s good for you and others say it isn’t. What are your opinions on stevia? Yay or nay?
Jennifer
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Question about stevia...

Post by Jennifer »

Dr. Gundry talks about eating it in his book, the plant paradox. I use stevia in my morning coffee. However, I use the liquid stevia (only takes a few drops), not the powdered stevia that has other "stuff" in it.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Nannies23 wrote:Besides carrying the 4/4 Gene, my blood work also showed I was at risk for insulin resistance, which was another shock, (but not quite as electrifying as the 4/4 news), which surprised me because I’m not much of a sweet eater. I’m not one to eat desserts , cakes, candy or anything like that but I am a salt freak; chips, popcorn, pizza, French fries. So I guess most of my sugar comes from foods like breads, which is going to be the hardest thing for me to give up; yogurt chips, popcorn, etc. So now I’m researching the use of stevia and I’m getting all kinds of mixed info; some say it’s good for you and others say it isn’t. What are your opinions on stevia? Yay or nay?
In general, I'm a yay for stevia. I was recently turned onto the butterscotch and vanilla liquid stevias at Omica Organics after listening to a Ben Greenfield podcast. I also use erythritol from time to time, or a blend of the two. I don't look at these as being good for me, so much, as often more in line with my goals, and unlikely to be bad for me in the overall scheme of things, taking diet adherence into account. Occasionally, I splurge and switch over to raw honey.

On a low carb diet, you can squeeze quite a bit of salt into your diet, so you're in luck there. Collard / kale chips, pickles, and olives make a decent chip alternative. Instead of pizza, I'll do something like pesto on portobello. It takes a minute to give up the old foods, but then it soon doesn't really matter and you take up new favorites.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

apod wrote: Instead of pizza, I'll do something like pesto on portobello.
brilliant idea!!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

I use Whole Foods’ brand (365) organic stevia extract. It’s a white powder with nothing other than stevia in it.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

I am still trying to learn more about Stevia - I haven't found any cons yet so if anyone knows of any please let us know. I enjoy adding a couple of drops of vanilla creme stevia to a glass of sparkling water. But I am also still holding on to those last few pounds so I may try going without for a while. I'll let you know if it makes a difference!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I use Sweet Leaf brand stevia, but in moderation - once or twice a week. This is because I understand that anything with a sweet taste can provoke an insulin response, even if zero calories.
Tincup
E3,E4
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Sara wrote:I am still trying to learn more about Stevia - I haven't found any cons yet so if anyone knows of any please let us know. I enjoy adding a couple of drops of vanilla creme stevia to a glass of sparkling water. But I am also still holding on to those last few pounds so I may try going without for a while. I'll let you know if it makes a difference!
It can have quite a bitter aftertaste, maybe try a little first as it can be quite expensive. ;)

Also, sweeteners in general have been shown to alter the gut microbiome. I am unaware if this applies to stevia in particular though.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

I've had to cut all sweeteners out to keep my sugar monster at bay and reset my taste for sugar. I'd also read that Stevia can have an impact on hormones. Here is an excerpt from Dr. Sarah Balllantyne in her book The Paleo Mom.
https://www.thepaleomom.com/teaser-exce ... th-stevia/
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Orangeblossom wrote:Also, sweeteners in general have been shown to alter the gut microbiome. I am unaware if this applies to stevia in particular though.
My understanding is that stevia is OK in this regard.
Tincup
E3,E4