New study on anticholinergic drugs

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

The risk of dementia increased with greater exposure for antidepressant, urological, and antiparkinson drugs with an ACB score of 3. This result was also observed for exposure 15-20 years before a diagnosis.

"A robust association between some classes of anticholinergic drugs and future dementia incidence was observed. This could be caused by a class specific effect, or by drugs being used for very early symptoms of dementia. Future research should examine anticholinergic drug classes as opposed to anticholinergic effects intrinsically or summing scales for anticholinergic exposure."

https://www.bmj.com/content/361/bmj.k1315
ncjlhp
Contributor
Contributor

Dementia and Anti Cholinergic Drugs

Post by ncjlhp »

I just read this newly published article regarding the strong relationship between some anti-cholinergics drugs and dementia:
https://www.bmj.com/content/361/bmj.k1315
What I found most interesting is my mother who had a long and horrible course with Alzheimer's disease also had a long history of taking Elavil. While I have a strong family history on her side of AD, neither my grandmother nor great grandmother had the long suffering AD that my mother did. This may mean nothing, but I am always struggling to find out why she had the most serious case and they seemed mildly affected.
Jan E4/2
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New study on anticholinergic drugs

Post by marthaNH »

I have wondered about the exact same thing in regard to my dad's experience. No way to know exactly what he did or didn't take because he was an MD and I'm positive he treated himself off the books. I am very careful about this stuff now and how to avoid all these, including the ones with only anticholinergic "effects" because -- why take any avoidable risk? There's so much we can't control. My doctor didn't seem impressed with my reasoning on that topic but she went along with me when I asked that an otherwise effective calcium channel blocker (antihypertensive drug) be replaced. Here's a recent post on that topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3422&p=53392#p53887
ncjlhp
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New study on anticholinergic drugs

Post by ncjlhp »

MarthaNH,
I am filing that post away should I ever need BP meds. thx.
Jan