Lost in the rabbit hole -- want a reality check.

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Jlhughette
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Lost in the rabbit hole -- want a reality check.

Post by Jlhughette »

I have a lot of the same issues, and more challenges and stress than I would wish to have. I walk around with a list of habits to adhere to during the day, and worry if I haven’t made time for brain games, exercise, dealing with sick family members, eating well, and work. And supplements! There are some in the cupboard that I know I ordered in some alternate state of mind. And preparing, hoping and sometimes managing to sleep well. But I’ve discovered something a bit odd. That is, I seem to be able to DO more and also to be able to relax at unexpected times and places. Having an unexpected walk with my sister who seems to be improving ever so slightly and gradually reversing her AD! Small incremental changes make me euphoric, even though I try to curb overblown enthusiasm which may just be wishful thinking. Am I just projecting that my sister is a little better or is she? I’m so glad you brought these seemingly irreconcilable differences to light. Still, I think great progress can be made testing these things within ourselves and enjoying what we can.. I’m feeling this uphill battle, and at times things fall apart, but also some excitement that clues are all around us and coming together some of the time. Although I’m afraid I DO tend to believe the purpose of life is to avoid AD. Maybe I’ll evolve past it, but for now it informs most of my sense of having a purpose.
Hughette
3/4
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

I'm very grateful for the company of such wise and generous people. I think I'm getting my equilibrium back. Good advice. Thanks for taking the time.
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Stavia wrote: Lets all think about our purposes.
Mine is to live my life with joy and passion, do my best, strive for excellence, but have fun. To value relationships. To try and make decisions rationally, ethically and justly. To face obstacles with courage.
Certainly my purpose is not to count my saturated fat grams each day.
Yes of course I do my best to follow a reasonable, prudent diet and lifestyle regime - but that's a rational choice, not fear driven (any more as it was in the beginning).
Thanks for this!! I think I need to post this on a sticky note and read it daily!
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

anne from california wrote:Also no expert on much of this, but certainly an expert on the going-too-hard-and-hitting-the-wall routine. And the saying yes to work crap that not only doesn't serve me in the short term, but later comes back later to bite me in the keister. (For example, agreeing to do a project myself to avoid our having to pay a contractor, but then later being told to base a new budget on the lesser amount we paid out the first time!) I've bought supplements I don't end up taking--because I forgot why they were important. (NAC and ashwaghanda, anyone?) I've bought ingredients that went bad because good intentions on Sunday meant rotten dandelion greens on Friday, or good intentions in September meant out-of-code almond flour in April, when I rediscovered it. Self awareness is a good thing, until you're microanalyzing every shred of your personality with a perfectionistic eye--that's when I start getting into trouble. I'm in a testing phase right now--23andMe, bloods, NutrEval--and so much new information will be revealed in coming months, and I'd like to be able to come at it with a balanced approach. Your post definitely resonates!
Exactly. Thanks for this (also to Stavia, Susan, Searcher, Brain and Orangeblossom! What a group!) I have long been a solo act, but when I'm sick or get a bad test result it kind of sucks to not have anyone here to moderate my panicky response. Leaving a week from tomorrow to spend three days and nights with nephews -- one getting married, one having a baby, the third just-engaged! That will get me out of my own head and focused on the good stuff.
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

Jlhughette wrote:I have a lot of the same issues, and more challenges and stress than I would wish to have. I walk around with a list of habits to adhere to during the day, and worry if I haven’t made time for brain games, exercise, dealing with sick family members, eating well, and work. And supplements! There are some in the cupboard that I know I ordered in some alternate state of mind. And preparing, hoping and sometimes managing to sleep well. But I’ve discovered something a bit odd. That is, I seem to be able to DO more and also to be able to relax at unexpected times and places. Having an unexpected walk with my sister who seems to be improving ever so slightly and gradually reversing her AD! Small incremental changes make me euphoric, even though I try to curb overblown enthusiasm which may just be wishful thinking. Am I just projecting that my sister is a little better or is she? I’m so glad you brought these seemingly irreconcilable differences to light. Still, I think great progress can be made testing these things within ourselves and enjoying what we can.. I’m feeling this uphill battle, and at times things fall apart, but also some excitement that clues are all around us and coming together some of the time. Although I’m afraid I DO tend to believe the purpose of life is to avoid AD. Maybe I’ll evolve past it, but for now it informs most of my sense of having a purpose.
This is a wonderful, upbeat post. I worry about my own sister (mother of all those nephews), who doesn't want to talk about AD and loves sweets and good wine. But she is moderate, sensible, and more robust than I! As for distrusting the good news and giving in to euphoria -- I do that, too. Thanks for making me feel a little less wacky.
vermillion
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vermillion »

I love this post.
Stavia wrote:
Searcher wrote: But it's not helpful to pretend that the purpose of life is to avoid Alzheimer's
exactly. This is the most important thing I have read on the boards this week.

Lets all think about our purposes.
Mine is to live my life with joy and passion, do my best, strive for excellence, but have fun. To value relationships. To try and make decisions rationally, ethically and justly. To face obstacles with courage.
Certainly my purpose is not to count my saturated fat grams each day.
Yes of course I do my best to follow a reasonable, prudent diet and lifestyle regime - but that's a rational choice, not fear driven (any more as it was in the beginning).
You will find you place of balance Martha. Include seeking for that balance in your searches.