Carnivore/keto

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Bhinebaugh
Contributor
Contributor

Carnivore/keto

Post by Bhinebaugh »

I thought this was interesting.
https://youtu.be/tw8Rf9h0-Sk.
Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChipW
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Carnivore/keto

Post by ChipW »

I buy it. I really like Rogan and Jordan Petterson.

I compete in Jiu-jitsu, same as Rogan, and was having some weird joint and muscle pain . Popping advil like candy to go train. It was getting so bad that I was seriously considering giving up martial arts. Unrelated to that, I got my 23 and me results and found out I was 3/4 APOE. Cut out the carbs for my brain health and low and behold, most all my joint and muscle pain went away. No more advil and training harder then I have in years.
I did cut out the boxing though. Don't need any head trauma
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Bhinebaugh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bhinebaugh »

That’s great it worked for you. I think it would be hard to do just meat and greens. I just wonder about all of that saturated fat from the meat for those of us with apoe4. I have cut out bread, rice, etc but still eat lots of vegetables and a little fruit. I do have some autoimmune issues though and wonder if this may help. I may do an experiment for 30 days or so.

marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

ChipW wrote:I buy it. I really like Rogan and Jordan Petterson.

I compete in Jiu-jitsu, same as Rogan, and was having some weird joint and muscle pain . Popping advil like candy to go train. It was getting so bad that I was seriously considering giving up martial arts. Unrelated to that, I got my 23 and me results and found out I was 3/4 APOE. Cut out the carbs for my brain health and low and behold, most all my joint and muscle pain went away. No more advil and training harder then I have in years.
I had the same experience. Joint pain and a toenail fungus that my cousin calls "the family curse" both went completely away and have not come back, even though I actually increased most vegetables and kept eating fruit. Just different fruit, and less of it. It's been about four years now.
ChipW
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ChipW »

Interesting. I didn't have the toenail fungus but did have itchy, sometimes scaly skin. That's gone now as well.

Bhinebaugh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bhinebaugh »

Chip do you just eat meat - any veggies or fruit? Or nuts?

ChipW
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ChipW »

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I was eating pretty much all vegetables and meat. I have since cut back on the meat when I learned the dangers of saturated fat for E4's. I also eat some fruit but not much. I eat a ton of nuts. Mostly almonds. Legumes seem OK for me and I eat a lot of pinto beans. I need to research that more, however.

What I was saying worked for me was limiting or removing sugars and grains. For what it's worth, Rogan also eats other veggies besides greens and he eats nuts too. I think he was agreeing in a general sense with Peterson about a keto style diet. Peterson apparently does just eat meats and greens though.

Bhinebaugh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bhinebaugh »

Makes perfect sense. That’s exactly what I am trying to do. Thanks.

ChipW
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ChipW »

You will feel good. I still struggle with wanting sugar but win the fight most days. I did eat some icecream last Friday though. I hate when I do that

marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

ChipW wrote:I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I was eating pretty much all vegetables and meat. I have since cut back on the meat when I learned the dangers of saturated fat for E4's. I also eat some fruit but not much. I eat a ton of nuts. Mostly almonds. Legumes seem OK for me and I eat a lot of pinto beans. I need to research that more, however.

What I was saying worked for me was limiting or removing sugars and grains. For what it's worth, Rogan also eats other veggies besides greens and he eats nuts too. I think he was agreeing in a general sense with Peterson about a keto style diet. Peterson apparently does just eat meats and greens though.

What Chip describes is also my approach. I don't rule out anything completely and forever, but yep, that's what my diet looks like. And it works like gangbusters. Great lipid profile, as long as I put a limit on saturated fat. I eat lentils instead of pintos, almonds and hazelnuts mostly but smaller amounts of walnuts in certain dishes because I like 'em. I keep the meat portions small, usually surrounded by vegetables in a soup or salad. Fish 2-3 times a week. A little dairy, almost all fermented. Today I hit the low end of my preferred weight range and really don't want to go lower, so I bought a loaf of fantastic sourdough rye from a very good bakery. I have a little fresh out of the oven, then cut it up and freeze it and add it to the diet when I need to put the brakes on weight loss. I'm not sure why, but this type of bread, kept to small servings and eaten with fat, protein, and soluble fiber, doesn't give me any problems with blood sugar. I'm lucky to have no real sensitivities to any food.