A favourite dish to eat

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

A favourite dish to eat

Post by Orangeblossom »

What is your favourite dish you have found which you really enjoy since changing food choices etc?

Mine is Fage greek yoghurt with berries (usually have blueberries and raspberries. You can get the greek yoghurt in zero fat too if you are avoiding sat fats and it still tastes nice. Sometimes have chopped nuts like walnuts on top.

It always just feels like eating this lovely 'pudding' and is a treat, have this most days! I like that it is something enjoyable too.

I am also liking cooking some new veggies in avocado oil, has an interesting taste and I understand, a high smoke point.

just wondered of others wanted to share a favourite dish to inspire others. Could be something simple, perhaps, or more complex.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Oatmeal pancake

Post by Starfish77 »

My favorite is very close to yours. I like frozen blue berries with Trader Joe's yoghurt (mixing half Greek and half European both non fat). The frozen berries make the yoghurt almost like sherbet. Walnuts are very good with it, but almost too good. I can really pig out on this if I add the walnuts so I usually eat it plain. I have to work hard to keep my
weight stable.

Another favorite: I make a pancake with 1/3 cup of 5 minute oats, 1/4 cup almond milk and 1 egg. It is a very thin batter. You can only make a single large pancake because it is a thin mixture. It has to be thin because the oats have to absorb the moisture to turn them into a pancake. I fry it using olive oil and a relatively low temperature. I don't eat wheat so this is a nice bit of crunch in my diet. I measure the oats and almond milk in individual metal measuring cups rather than a glass measuring cup, because the proportions have to be exact. If your measurments are even a little bit off, the result is either too soft and not crispy or too dry and not very edible.
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Re: A favourite dish to eat

Post by Magda »

I like to share new recipes and product;
Although, I am not very creative in the kitchen, I am very particular about what I and my family eat so I always search for new recipes and cookbooks. I would like to share with you that recipes from Dr Gundy's new Cookbook are very good. I have made a few so far- all delicious- but my favorite is a "sweet bite":
Chocolate mint cookies:)
1 cup creamy almond butter
2/3 cup confectioner's swerve
2 tbs non-dutched cocoa powder
1 tbs os coconut flower
2 tbs of water
2 large eggs
2 tbs melted, salted butter or coconut oil
11/2 tsp pure peppermint extract
1 tsp gf baking soda
1/4 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
Preheat oven to 350. Line a rimmed baking sheet with silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
In a large bowl combine all the ingredients, using a standing mixer with the paddle attachment or some serious arm strength, mix until all ingredients are well combined. Fold in chopped chocolate. Form the cookies dough into 2 inch balls to produce 12 cookies. Place on the baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow cookies to cool. Enjoy. (Page 226)

I also like to make super simple dish (not from the cookbook), sardines with pickles, radishes, parsley, and olive oil. The kind of pickles matters :) I particularly like this brand: https://bubbies.com/
Really simple and tasty, if you like sardines:)

Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
tesslo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tesslo »

I have emergency supplies around the house like trader joe's sardines in olive oil with a swiggle of mustard ontop and a supply of black olives and pickles (fermented foods)

I Love Gundry's okra chips, baked artichoke hearts (with almond flour best) and the paleo chips and guacamole
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

My favorite food discoveries since I made dietary adjustments are Siete tortillas (no grain and totally addictive) and CocoYo (a super tangy coconut yogurt) with blueberries.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Lindy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lindy »

What a great topic, floramaria! I think my great discovery was raw organic almond butter (I buy Artisana's version). It is insanely delicious and can be used as a decadent dip or stuffing for raw foods - celery, apple, jicama. or any plate of mixed raw vegetables. But my favorite thing to dip in almond butter is raw strawberries - it makes me feel like I'm having dessert in a five-star restaurant.
APOE-ε4/ε4 on the voyage of discovery.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Lindy wrote:What a great topic, floramaria! I think my great discovery was raw organic almond butter (I buy Artisana's version). It is insanely delicious and can be used as a decadent dip or stuffing for raw foods - celery, apple, jicama. or any plate of mixed raw vegetables. But my favorite thing to dip in almond butter is raw strawberries - it makes me feel like I'm having dessert in a five-star restaurant.
Hi Lindy, I am with you on The Artisana raw O almond butter 100% ; it has been one of my favorite Foods for a few years. It elevates everything it touches!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Lindy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lindy »

floramaria wrote:Hi Lindy, I am with you on The Artisana raw O almond butter 100% ; it has been one of my favorite Foods for a few years. It elevates everything it touches!

And I'm with you and Starfish 77 on berries in yogurt - I go with nonfat organic Greek yogurt, and I tend to prefer frozen berries, because then it makes a decent substitute for the ice creams and sorbets I had to give up. (I haven't tried freezing the whole concoction - maybe that would be even closer to ice cream niche.)
APOE-ε4/ε4 on the voyage of discovery.
WhatNext
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by WhatNext »

I love my coconut chicken curry! I use a lot of garlic and ginger, Thai green curry paste, light (okay, "lite") coconut milk, Thai fish sauce, and I confess, a tablespoon of brown sugar. I throw in plenty of veggies--whatever I have on hand but I like using red bell pepper and snow peas best--it's colorful. I add fresh basil when I have it. I eat it with brown rice.
What Next
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

As one of the simpler recipes, I love baked kale + collards tossed in olive oil and sea salt. Another favorite is pressure cooked chicken smothered with pesto. Pre-diet changes, you would have never caught me eating something green... let alone, kale and collard greens. :)