UK Support and Tips Thread

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Toujourtor
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: UK Support and Tips Thread

Post by Toujourtor »

Tuesday wrote:Great thread, Orange ;)
However, the home test kit for Homocysteine is provided by York Labs and is £149.00. Yikes!
If you guys happen to cross the Channel, I paid only 60 euros for a homocysteine test here in France. It's also not covered by our national healthcare. I guess you could get one without a prescription if you kindly explain why you need it in the lab.

Envoyé de mon SM-G930F en utilisant Tapatalk
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: UK Support and Tips Thread

Post by Orangeblossom »

Yes- I feel the same about the cost! I was thinking to myself I might do it in my 50s, as in a few years it might have come down by then. I mentioned it to my GP and he said 'not on the NHS' but he did something else which seemed to be a test for Creatinine levels. Not really sure why or if is related.

I have got this healthcare which is kind of discretionary and covers things the NHS do not, but don't think it would cover it, not sure. It says there needs to be a 'clinical need'. Hmm. the other thing I have seen advertised is this home testing kit which tests for folate, HB1AC, and cholesterol. It seems to usually have a discount code on it if you check online.

https://thriva.co

Discount code online seems to be FIRST50 which is valid until November this year, for a first test. (they want you to sign up to 3 monthly tests but you can cancel after the first one)

I mean it is kind of basic but it would give some things to start with.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

GemmaJ wrote:I really like Cytoplan website and blog. I use it a lot and buy my supplements on it too - They often have 3 for 2 - actually they nearly always have 3 for 2 so don't ever pay full price! They can also put you in touch with practitioners in your area who has been trained in the Bredesen protocol through them. They're good!
Good to hear, thanks Gemma. ;)
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Orangeblossom wrote:Thanks Circ!

Yes it seems we can't get the same kind of testing over here that is possible in the USA. Maybe that will happen with time. So in the meantime have to do our best with what we have I guess.
The downside of all the possible testing in the US is having to wrap one's brain around it all to decide what is truly clinically and economically useful. With professional opinions running in every direction, it's a bit of a wilderness at times.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Cas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cas »

Hi all,

This is a great thread!! I have some contacts at Cytoplan and recently attended one of their Brian health workshops. If you have a look at the website below you can find more details of the sessions they are offering:

https://thebrainhealthprogramme.co.uk/a ... programme/

You can search for a licensed brain health practitioner near you on their site.

Enjoy the long weekend!

Catherine
Functional Medicine Coaching Academy Student
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Thanks for letting Yanks post here as well. 8-)

For people who have no cognitive issues, I feel that the fist fulls of supplements are the least helpful intervention. Nutrition, exercise, sleep, and stress management are most likely the most important areas on which to focus. The unavailability of many of the suggested lab tests with NIH makes it difficult to pin down which supplements might potentially be helpful. Do the best you can with the situation you are in. The US medical system has a different set of problems - no universal insurance coverage, people with insurance going broke paying for their medical care...etc etc. Stavia's advice in the Primer on blood work and supplements is quite rational.
Slacker
E4/E4
ElaineB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ElaineB »

Just to say my GP in Taunton did the homocysteine test, no problem. So it must be available on the NHS! Perhaps some GPs don't see the need for it.
julespaps
Contributor
Contributor

Post by julespaps »

Hi

I did the York test through a Nutrisionist.it a blood spot test. Bit fiddly but got there in the end. Results came back 10 or so days later measured at 10. Bit of work to get it under 7 but definitely going in the right direction.

All other blood work I have done through my GP. Recently did a Vitamin D test which I was deficient with previously and it came back normal so was over the moon.

I get lost supplements from Amazon and I try to get the cheapest which probably isn't the best idea. I do eat quite a bit of Yoghurt and I try to eat lean meat as in Chicken or Turkey as I must admit I cannot switch off totally from having minimal meat. All in all cutting out Carbs has worked wonders for me. I have had the odd mishap but defo going in the right direction.

Will keep an eye on this thread for other UK Apoe4 ideas and tips.

Thanks Orangeblossom

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
ellenjanemccallum
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ellenjanemccallum »

Hello all from a lovely sunny Dartmoor!
I am a (4:4) naturopathic nutritionist working in Devon I use various suppliers for the supplements but love Avicenna for the herbal tinctures - their bacopa monnieri is particularly fantastic and I have seen some very quick results in reducing inflammation using it.
I am currently studying the protocol with the IFM and will be running workshops later in the year, can't wait to share more with my clients & family too!

Ellen
wac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wac »

Hi All, I was looking to get a Recode Report undertaken to give me a baseline. The cost in the US was $1399, however when you google UK practitioners the price for these tests are way higher. Has anyone started with a Bredesen approved UK practitioner to get these tests done?