THC and HRT questions

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
wendibart
Contributor
Contributor

THC and HRT questions

Post by wendibart »

Good morning,
I have 2 medical questions I am hoping someone can weigh in on.
1. I saw an article regarding the use of THC to remove amyloid plaques. This prompted me to do a little more research and I see there are many studies supporting this. Does anyone have any practical knowledge or experience with this to share?
2. I'm 53, APOE 3/4. I've scheduled an appointment with my doctor to explore HRT. I did not get my results from 23andme, my doctor ordered genetic testing to validate my prescriptions, but my daughters did. Thankfully, neither have the APOE4 mutation, but both have Factor V Leiden. Since I do not know if I have this, I believe I will need to know for certain before I pursue HRT. I would hate to save my brain from Alzheimer's through RECODE, but end up having a stroke! Any thoughts?

Thank you! ~Wendi
Wendi, 54, 3/4
SGW811
Contributor
Contributor

Re: THC and HRT questions

Post by SGW811 »

Wendi, thanks for posting with this question. I am 55 y.o, and heterozygous for Factor V Leiden and have not been on any HRT. I did not know of the potential risks of HRT in this situation, until your post.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Hi Wendi
I dont know anything about THC but I can comment on HRT and stroke risk.

Firstly, you may be confusing arterial strokes with venous clots. Oral oestrogen and Leiden factor V are two separate but additive risks for clotting in the veins, called VTE for short, Venous Thromboembolism. These arise in the veins of the legs or pelvis and can travel to the lungs ie pulmonary embolus. The clots cannot get to the brain unless there is a "hole in the heart". This is an undiagnosed gap between the right and left sides that a clot can slip thru. Oral oestogen increases the risk of VTE even in the absence of any extra genetic conditions. Leiden Factor V is an absolute contraindication to the oral contraception and oral HRT. In the absence of Leiden factor V, the risk of VTE with oral oestrogen, is smaller but still real. This risk appears to be less with transdermal oestrogen, as it bypasses the liver, where the issues with clotting and inflammation arise.

Strokes are blockages in the brain arteries. There are three main causes. Bleeds, not related to HRT. Emboli, bits of plaque that break off the carotid arteries and travel to the brain. Thromboses, clots that occur directly inside the brain arteries due to the same risk factors that cause coronary thrombosis (ie heart attacks. ie hypertension smoking dyslipidaemia obesity diabetes etc). The effect of HRT on the latter two strokes is complex. The risk of strokes is higher with oral HRT and higher dose transdermal HRT. It appears safer to use lower dose transdermal oestrogen when considering stroke risk.

https://www.bmj.com/content/340/bmj.c2519

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

wendibart wrote: I saw an article regarding the use of THC to remove amyloid plaques. This prompted me to do a little more research and I see there are many studies supporting this. Does anyone have any practical knowledge or experience with this to share?
Try a search on THC using the magnifying glass on the tool bar (right upper corner) for prior conversations on THC.
Slacker
E4/E4
MerileeV1
New User
New User

Post by MerileeV1 »

HI I am heterozyg for factor 5 Leiden and apoe4 hetero ..they want be off hormones but I am unable to function..I am back on the patch 0.05mcg and oral progesterone..then they added Trazadone and or effexor ..which I think both would not be good for the APOE 4 carrier status..after two weeks had to stop, was living in a complete fog..waking up with pounding heart rate and hot sweats in night..am going to go up to 0.075 on the patch but want to know what others have done for this and were successful and also protecting their brain function. thank you. Merilee
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

As presented in our Wiki article Cannabinoids, Cannabidiol (CBD), THC, HEMP, Marijuana, Cannabis there are studies that INDICATE there MAY be something to THC aiding in the amyloid clearance, neuroprotection, etc, but nothing is conclusive, virtually all the studies say further research is needed, which is not likely to happen as there is not profit incentive to investigate this as THC cannot be patented.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
dscoachRN
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dscoachRN »

MerileeV1 wrote:HI I am heterozyg for factor 5 Leiden and apoe4 hetero ..they want be off hormones but I am unable to function..I am back on the patch 0.05mcg and oral progesterone..then they added Trazadone and or effexor ..which I think both would not be good for the APOE 4 carrier status..after two weeks had to stop, was living in a complete fog..waking up with pounding heart rate and hot sweats in night..am going to go up to 0.075 on the patch but want to know what others have done for this and were successful and also protecting their brain function. thank you. Merilee
I'm glad to see that Stavia has commented on your other post. I wanted to add my welcome to our ApoE4 community! We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the site here: Primer and by visiting: Wiki 'how to'
We look forward to continuing the conversation!
dscoachRN