PEMT RS7946(T,T) Fast Results After Phosphatidylcholine Supplemention

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Roamingseer
Contributor
Contributor

PEMT RS7946(T,T) Fast Results After Phosphatidylcholine Supplemention

Post by Roamingseer »

In late 2016, I found out I was APOE3/4 and began following ReCode since 11/17 as a DIY in a semi-strict (50% follow thru on supplements, adherence to a 9h tRF (since 8/4/17), no added sugar (since 2/1/17), avoiding foods with a glycemic index higher than 34, striving for 7-8h sleep, etc.). Just before starting ReCode, I had CBC labs done with the few added items that I could get my PP to approve (“Why do you want homocysteine test? That’s not useful.”) on 10/27/17. When the lab results came in, I was stunned by two items.

First, my Hb-A1C had dropped from an average of 5.4% to 4.5%. This is amazing because for the previous 3+yrs I have followed the 5/2 intermittent fasting protocol and never saw this drop- despite eliminating added sugars. BTW- 5/2 does lower Trig and overall cholesterol, but for me tRF does that plus drops A1C. BTW- my heavy aerobic exercise remained fairly constant throughout the years, since 2014.

Second, my homocysteine was 9.5 despite regular hard exercise (3-5days/wk), no processed foods, lots of raw vegetables and beans, little meat and taking regular B-vitamins. Also, in early 2017, I started following a strict Vegan diet, but by April decided to add in some small fish (sardines, herring, etc.) 1-2/wk. So, why was my homocysteine so high? I didn’t know for sure, but suspected that not using methylated B vitamins might play a role, so I switched to those.

At this point, that might of been the end of it, but I was reviewing Rhonda Patrick’s FoundMyFitness results based on my raw genetic file and they pointed out two SNPs that I hadn’t noticed before. FADS1, RS174548(C,G) points to intermediate phosphatidylcholine (PC) levels (not high or low, but in the middle). Okay, nothing to worry about there... But then there was PEMT, RS7946(T,T) that points to much lower production (no values given) of PC production in the liver (that’s where it is made from choline) & was implicated in fatty liver syndrome. PC is used in basic cell structure, along with neuronal support for memory and REM sleep, see https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs7946. So, I thought why not start eating eggs? Since I don’t convert choline very well, I chose 3eggs soft-boiled everyday for a week. I felt no difference, so I next chose to take 420mg PC lecithin gels (once at breakfast and another at early dinner time). I did notice that the seller’s website had a few reviewers claiming big memory improvements. What this means is hard to say seeing a daily flood of fake reviews (including fake people- Bots).

I noticed a difference on the first day as my mind recalled things with little effort. I noted it in my journal, but somewhat dismissed it as the placebo effect. The next day I noticed a series of events that showed me that my memory was functioning a lot better than I could remember. On one morning task, spelling was easy and executive function improved as I focused and could easily visualize what steps needed to be taken in order. And as I was writing notes my mind was helpful seeing connections that were not obvious at first glance. Later in the evening, I was in a meeting discussing a writer’s essay from the 1800’s. Again, I saw associations with “nature’s phenomena” and fractals. And at that moment thought, “I’ll never remember Mandelbot’s name.” As you might imagine, I was stunned, because I have always had a poor memory for names, even books I am reading.

I did look up RS7946 on APOE4’s site, and saw it mentioned several times in studies relating to dementia and as a factor in high homocysteine values (Aha- Is this significant for my elevated homocysteine??), but I didn’t notice anyone’s personal experience with it. It has only been four days now, but my memory is still working great. I’m not sure about the REM sleep as I have no good way to judge if it has improved dramatically, but I have had intense dreams. I will say that my holy grail of regular 7-8h sleep remains elusive. Since childhood, I’ve been a 7h sleeper, but if I have to get up early (say 3AM), I have a hard time falling back to sleep, and there seems to be more sleep interruptions the older I get . Further, it is possible that some of these improvements are related to ReCode itself as there can be many holes in one’s leaky roof as Dr. D. Bredesen might say.

I do think that Bacopa, Ashwagandha, Shankhapushpi and others do help, but for me, I was quite startled by the memory improvement. Have anyone else noticed improvements with PhosphatidylCholine (PC) supplementation?
Last edited by Roamingseer on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: PEMT RS7946(T,T) Fast Results After Phosphatidylcholine Supplemention

Post by SusanJ »

Hey Roaming, I am hetero on the PEMT. Ben Lynch says TT is about a 30% drop in activity. You will likely see a drop in homocysteine - providing PC spares methyl groups for other uses (like recycling homocysteine) instead of using methyl groups to create PC from choline. I didn't see any changes in memory when I started PC, but we're all different WRT what works. Hope it continues to provide you benefits.
Roamingseer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Roamingseer »

Thanks SusanJ. I have never seen a RS7946(T,T) # before. My guess is that being vegan (no organ meats or eggs) dropped my PC levels. I plan to cutout the eggs & continue the PC. Thank you, I hope so too...
woleile
Contributor
Contributor

Post by woleile »

Wonderful that you found that piece of your puzzle, Roamingseer.

My results were similarly dramatic when I started phosphatidylcholine, at least five years ago now. I'm only heterozygous on RS7946, but was a vegetarian with an egg allergy so wasn't getting any choline at all from diet. My sister, also heterozygous, had brain fog so bad, she hadn't been able to read in years. Within days of starting to supplement, she started reading again. She was so thrilled, she went through three books that first week.

I should say we didn't take PC alone. We took (and still take) Jarrow's NeuroOptimizer formula, which also includes phosphatidylserine.
Woleile
E4/E4
Bredesen type 3 (mold toxicity)
homozygous MTHFR C677T, COMT
Roamingseer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Roamingseer »

Woelie, thank you & it’s good to read of someone else with a similar experience.
Last edited by Roamingseer on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Hi, I have the TT also as you describe and the others the same too Roaming- just did my report yesterday. I often keep hard boiled eggs for a snack in the fridge, basically as they are good when hungry but it is good to hear they might benefit in other ways and might try a supplement also. I have something called sunflower lecithin, not sure if that is any help - or choline in supplements? :? thanks for sharing.
Roamingseer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Roamingseer »

Orangeblossom, I'm concerned about eating too much choline since there is an association with it and TMAO, see https://nutritionfacts.org/video/eggs-c ... nd-cancer/. See also, https://www.foundmyfitness.com/news/s/i ... activation. Actually, taking lecithin is also associated with higher TMAO, so I'm not sure about sunflower lecithin. I used this for what it's worth- http://www.country-life.com/store/phosp ... ex-1200-mg.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

I've come to the conclusion that TMAO forms when you have an unhealthy balance of gut bacteria or missing some other nutrients.

Try this summary I did a while back on eggs and TMAO. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=570&p=51215&hilit=TMAO#p51215
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Have you seen this recent study on eggs? I found it helpful.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/he ... ack-stroke

What about a standard Choline supplement, such as by Solgar, would that not be useful? It is bit cheaper...

PS i noticed in the report it said 55% of us are TT, so quite common.
Roamingseer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Roamingseer »

SusanJ- Thanks for the research. I’m trying to get my head around it. I am aware that vegans apparently can eat occasional meat (or eggs) w/o an accompanying rise in TMAO, which points to intestinal gut flora. That one paper, “Prognostic value of choline and betaine depends on intestinal microbiota-generated metabolite trimethylamine-N-oxide” was fascinating. I’m left wondering what specific measures (probiotics, enzymes) we can take to reduce TMAO.

BTW- I have an egg sensitivity that shows in me as increased phlegm that created a long (11mo) bout of bronchitis decades ago, along with ineffective antibiotic use during that time. Even now, i have noticed an increase in phelgm & am discontinuing the eggs.

Thank you SusanJ! G