Dr Bredesen's DHEA Target High???

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Dr Bredesen's DHEA Target High???

Post by circular »

My DHEA lab came back 141 mcg/dL. The Labcorp range is 26-200. My doctor understandably feels it's fine. Dr. Bredesen's 'target' is 350-430 mcg/dL in women and 400-500 mcg/dL in men. This is so much higher than the lab range I'd really like to see some papers justifying it, even if it's a neurosteroid like pregnenolone. His target for pregnenolone is much more in line with lab ranges.

Any thoughts?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dr Bredesen's DHEA Target High???

Post by slacker »

circular wrote:My DHEA lab came back 141 mcg/dL. The Labcorp range is 26-200. My doctor understandably feels it's fine. Dr. Bredesen's 'target' is 350-430 mcg/dL in women and 400-500 mcg/dL in men. This is so much higher than the lab range I'd really like to see some papers justifying it, even if it's a neurosteroid like pregnenolone. His target for pregnenolone is much more in line with lab ranges.

Any thoughts?
Great question. I don't know the answer but can share what my functional medicine/hormone replacement/Bredesen trained MD told me about my DHEA level. Now that I'm reviewing my labs for the last 1.5 years (sheesh! time flies), I notice an inconsistency. My misunderstanding? Don't know. Here goes...

My initial DHEA reading without any hormone/supplement use was 39 ug/dL. My notes from that lab review with FM MD indicate >500 as target.
My levels on DHEA 5mg supplementation have been in the 120's, and she said that was "ideal." Flip a coin?

That being said, my estrone levels have been high since starting rx bHRT with DHEA and pregnenolone 10 mg supplements. Estrone is considered a marker for a metabolite of estradiol that increases risk for breast cancer. Three attempts at lowering the estrone levels - adding 2 different supplements in stepwise fashion (Estrosense and Calcium D Glucarate), and lowering the estradiol dose - helped lower the estrone but not enough. Fourth step - stopping DHEA. And voila! Normal estrone level. This most recent result has not yet been reviewed with said MD, and won't be for another month. I plan to ask about slowly reducing the Estrosense and Calcium D Glucarate to lighten my stack load.

Somewhat tangential N=1 story, but definitely related to DHEA. Tread cautiously.
Slacker
E4/E4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

All I can say is that I’d probably develop facial hair if my DHEA were that high.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Surupe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Surupe »

Did you ever get resolution on this issue, circular? I am having the same issue with DhEA. Mine is 452 which is a bit high. I did take DHEA supplements (25mg) because I was low before. I also started esting a lot of meat in this time frame thanks to Keto. However, my doc wants the levels around 200 and he’s concerned.
E4/E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Surupe wrote:Did you ever get resolution on this issue, circular? I am having the same issue with DhEA. Mine is 452 which is a bit high. I did take DHEA supplements (25mg) because I was low before. I also started esting a lot of meat in this time frame thanks to Keto. However, my doc wants the levels around 200 and he’s concerned.
Hi, I never supplemented. I can't justify following Dr. Bredesen's advice with something to go on. But something tells me maybe this has to do with a difference between DHEA and DHEA-S??? Dr. Bredesen's recommendation is for DHEA-S. I can never find time to enter all my old labs into my lab results app, so I'm not sure if I tested DHEA or DHEA-S.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
harpsicon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by harpsicon »

I think they're the same. Dr. Bredesen talks about dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), but in his goals, he talks about DHEA Sulfate, and gives the numbers quoted here. Probably that's the "S"... but you're certainly right, his goals are more different here than in most categories, although a theme of his book is how "normal" readings may be very "Not OK".

Bredesen, Dale. The End of Alzheimer's: The First Program to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive Decline (p. 131). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I was just listening to this podcast interview with BHRT expert Dr. Lynne Mielke and she wants DHEA at 200-300. She then widened her range to 100-300.

Transcript and podcast:
https://www.drkarafitzgerald.com/2018/1 ... ne-mielke/
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

circular wrote:My DHEA lab came back 141 mcg/dL. The Labcorp range is 26-200. My doctor understandably feels it's fine. Dr. Bredesen's 'target' is 350-430 mcg/dL in women and 400-500 mcg/dL in men. This is so much higher than the lab range I'd really like to see some papers justifying it, even if it's a neurosteroid like pregnenolone. His target for pregnenolone is much more in line with lab ranges.

Any thoughts?
I've been curious about this too. 400-500 seems pretty high for men. In my 30's I'm at a pretty modest 147, and it's supposed to go down with age. I've read about prostate cancer concerns (as well as estrogen balance issues) with boosting the number higher.
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

Just adding to the conversation on this somewhat old thread since I too am trying to figure out what level is appropriate. A couple years ago my DHEA-Sulfate was 76 without supplementation (lab range 15-200). I added 1/4 of a 5mg micronized tablet per day to nudge it a little higher and it went to 146, so I've continued at that dose ever since then. (Supposedly micronized increases absorption, so doses can be smaller). I just tested again and am at 109 (Lab Corp Range 29-221), which seems like an acceptable number, but my Bredesen-trained doctor says that it should be 150-250 and wants me to increase my dose. This is what's in the Wiki notes, but these numbers seem mighty high:
DHEA sulfate (women) = 350-430 mcg/dL
DHEA sulfate (men) = 400-500 mcg/dL

Any thoughts on a target for a postmenopausal 4/4 woman?

Also, do we get dependent on DHEA supplements if we take them long term?
~Anna
4/4 but so much more