Concerns about low carbs

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Concerns about low carbs

Post by cdamaden »

I found this blog post by Dr. Sarah Ballantyne
https://www.thepaleomom.com/the-case-for-more-carbs/
very compelling to not limit carbs below roughly 100 grams a day. She broadly calls it ketosis, which I accept may be too loose. I’d be interested in other perspectives.
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by cdamaden on Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Concerns about low carbs

Post by slacker »

cdamaden wrote:I found this blog post by Dr. Sarah Ballantyne
https://www.thepaleomom.com/the-case-for-more-carbs/
very compelling to not limit carbs below roughly 100 grams a day. She broadly calls it ketosis, which I accept may be too loose. I’d be interested in other perspectives.
Great post Chris; I plan to read in more detail. She highlights how hormones have more than one function, and how too much and not enough can impact health. Our bodies seem almost infinitely complex, and that's before taking individual variations into consideration.

(one complaint: references available, but all mashed together at the bottom of the blog. Footnotes please! :( )
Slacker
E4/E4
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

Thanks, Slacker. I'm a bit confused if the health issues sited are due to being in the state of ketosis, simply eating low carbohydrates, or micronutrient deficiencies from limiting carbohydrates. Also, I know many here are looking to be in a mild state of ketosis where some of the studies she referenced dealt with a much deeper state for medical purposes.
I'm just coming off vacation where I was eating quite a bit more carbs. I'm not as sharp but that could also be due to the jet lag of coming back from Europe to California in one day with a layover in Montreal. I was influenced by a book I read called Brain Food by Lisa Mosconi, who doesn't like ketosis (conflates it with high saturated fat) but acknowledges that it has a clinical application.
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

This looked of interest on this topic

https://www.bmj.com/content/361/bmj.k2340

Dietary carbohydrates: role of quality and quantity in chronic disease

David S Ludwig and colleagues examine the links between different types of carbohydrates and health

Carbohydrate is the only macronutrient with no established minimum requirement. Although many populations have thrived with carbohydrate as their main source of energy, others have done so with few if any carbohydrate containing foods throughout much of the year (eg, traditional diets of the Inuit, Laplanders, and some Native Americans).12 If carbohydrate is not necessary for survival, it raises questions about the amount and type of this macronutrient needed for optimal health, longevity, and sustainability. This review focuses on these current controversies, with special focus on obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer, and early death.