Frustrated over finances

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
PretzelViking
Contributor
Contributor

Frustrated over finances

Post by PretzelViking »

I contacted The Recode folks a couple of days ago and found out that I would have to pay $75 per month for a year to get into the program officially; I can't afford that on top of the cost of living in my area and changing my diet, not to mention lab tests not covered by insurance. Then I called a nearby clinic in the program and on top of paying the $75 per month I would have to come up with $3500 as well as some lab tests and neutriceuticals. I feel very bad that after caring for my parents for 10 years and having to cover some of their expenses and wait up to 2 years to be reimbursed by the judge as guardian, now I can't afford the lab tests that I need to prevent the dementia that they suffered to haunt me later. There shouldn't be medicine for the wealthy while working class have to die...something is very wrong in America. :cry:
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Frustrated over finances

Post by NF52 »

PretzelViking wrote:I can't afford the lab tests that I need to prevent the dementia that they suffered
Hello again, friend,

It is frustrating to see the oasis in the desert (of Las Vegas, no less!) and not be able to get to it. I support universal health access, and yet know that in countries like the U.K. and Canada some of these same tests are not routinely approved.

I also think that many of the things you've done with your life, like singing and dancing 8 times a week (still amazes me) probably added years of healthy life, as does your intellectual curiosity. Much of what lab tests do is to give an actual number to guide decisions around diet and supplements. But I think you can use Stavia's PRIMER to give you ideas about generally helpful supplements. And you may be able to go to one of the free/sliding scale fee health clinics in Las Vegas below to get some basic labs: Vitamins D and B-12, cholesterol, iron. My grandmother lived to 93 mostly avoiding doctors like the plague, but growing berries and vegetables in a garden, eating nut butters, playing chess, and socializing with good friends at church and in the neighborhood.
Your parents had a vastly different life than yours; you inherited only 50% of the DNA of each one. Create your own best life out of their combined gifts.

https://www.freeclinics.com/det/nv_8914 ... h-services

https://www.freeclinics.com/det/nv_8910 ... -las-vegas

https://www.freeclinics.com/det/nv_Neva ... ters_ObGyn [This is a center for women's health services.]
4/4 and still an optimist!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

If you aren't aware, you can order your own labs through a variety of companies. If you search on online lab tests, you'll get a list. One such company is Walk in Lab. They are offering a 15% discount through July 5 https://mailchi.mp/walkinlab/taxes-you- ... 14afe7e22a (you only need to complete the order before 5 july, you can get the tests run up to 6 months, I think, hence). You could prioritize a few tests you want and order them without having to pay a doc. They run discounts every couple of months, you could order a few more tests later & etc.

The way these companies work is you a) create an account, b) you select what you want c) you pay them d) in your user area, they will have PDF lab requisition you print out. e) you take this to a nearby LabCorp location and get your test run (tell them it is prepaid) f) when the labs are done, you'll get an email telling you to go to your user area and get the PDF of the results to download and review (and print if you want).
Tincup
E3,E4
Poetry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Poetry »

PretzelViking wrote:I contacted The Recode folks a couple of days ago and found out that I would have to pay $75 per month for a year to get into the program officially; I can't afford that on top of the cost of living in my area and changing my diet, not to mention lab tests not covered by insurance. Then I called a nearby clinic in the program and on top of paying the $75 per month I would have to come up with $3500 as well as some lab tests and neutriceuticals. I feel very bad that after caring for my parents for 10 years and having to cover some of their expenses and wait up to 2 years to be reimbursed by the judge as guardian, now I can't afford the lab tests that I need to prevent the dementia that they suffered to haunt me later. There shouldn't be medicine for the wealthy while working class have to die...something is very wrong in America. :cry:
This is exactly why I never agree with a program (of any kind) that is set up for those with money. If we all can't do it (such as buy healthy food), then I don't participate.
I watched a lady on television some years back, who was dying of AIDS...she said, "Why is Magic Johnson's life more important than mine?". I've never forgotten that.
So if a program is costly to the point that MOST cannot afford it, I'm out.
I can afford it (not bragging at all); but it just doesn't feel right to me.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I too can't afford all that nor is it available in my country. It's almost a relief. not to have the financial stress and that of all the tests etc. I'd rather spend my little money on basic vitamins, eat well and get a gym membership. Oh and the local library is free to read books and improve my mind. I don't need all that additional stress and pressure, which might in itself add to the risk of AD...
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

I appreciate the views expressed by my fellow members. I also feel grateful that I have the resources at this time to implement portions of Bredesen's protocol to potentially avoid severe cognitive impairment. My brother, who is currently disabled from his Alzheimer's, was diagnosed at my age. I try to choose wisely.
Slacker
E4/E4
PretzelViking
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PretzelViking »

Thank you for your input! I also have modified my diet and work schedule, and I'm sleeping better because of it! I already take many supplements to support my health as I've worked on my feet for decades rather than a desk job. I went to a local health fair and was able to get a few affordable blood tests in April and I have an appointment with a local doctor later this month, I will try to find out how much a crucial test or two will cost so that I know better where other "holes in the roof" are lurking. He is a well known doctor in the area and is mostly a concierge doctor who would love for me to drop my regular insurance and pay HIM $100.00 a month instead...what a deal he claims he'd give me, lol. He has never heard of the ReCode Protocol so I will try to open his mind. ;)

I don't want to restrict my diet any further where I don't have to, nor do I wish to spend money on any (very expensive) supplements that I don't need, nor do I wish to take unnecessary supplements in my case which might actually be detrimental by unbalancing my body or overloading it. I want you all to know that I really appreciate being here and I feel more secure and cared about by being in this group!
PretzelViking
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PretzelViking »

Tincup wrote:If you aren't aware, you can order your own labs through a variety of companies. If you search on online lab tests, you'll get a list. One such company is Walk in Lab. They are offering a 15% discount through July 5 https://mailchi.mp/walkinlab/taxes-you- ... 14afe7e22a (you only need to complete the order before 5 july, you can get the tests run up to 6 months, I think, hence). You could prioritize a few tests you want and order them without having to pay a doc. They run discounts every couple of months, you could order a few more tests later & etc.

The way these companies work is you a) create an account, b) you select what you want c) you pay them d) in your user area, they will have PDF lab requisition you print out. e) you take this to a nearby LabCorp location and get your test run (tell them it is prepaid) f) when the labs are done, you'll get an email telling you to go to your user area and get the PDF of the results to download and review (and print if you want).
Thank you very, very much, Tincup!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

PretzelViking wrote:Thank you for your input! I also have modified my diet and work schedule, and I'm sleeping better because of it! I already take many supplements to support my health as I've worked on my feet for decades rather than a desk job. I went to a local health fair and was able to get a few affordable blood tests in April and I have an appointment with a local doctor later this month, I will try to find out how much a crucial test or two will cost so that I know better where other "holes in the roof" are lurking. He is a well known doctor in the area and is mostly a concierge doctor who would love for me to drop my regular insurance and pay HIM $100.00 a month instead...what a deal he claims he'd give me, lol. He has never heard of the ReCode Protocol so I will try to open his mind. ;)

I don't want to restrict my diet any further where I don't have to, nor do I wish to spend money on any (very expensive) supplements that I don't need, nor do I wish to take unnecessary supplements in my case which might actually be detrimental by unbalancing my body or overloading it. I want you all to know that I really appreciate being here and I feel more secure and cared about by being in this group!
I'm with you Pretzel! It's hard to figure out which are the "crucial tests." Stavia has suggestions in her primer. Focus on the insulin resistance tests first. You'll probably get the most bang for your buck with them. And please continue to post and ask questions! We're here to support you as best we can.

PS. Many doctors have negotiated rates with lab companies. If your "well known" doc has negotiated rates, it might be helpful to compare these with the self order lab draw companies like Tincup mentions. If you have insurance, they also have negotiated rates for lab tests - always a fraction of the listed price. The price I pay with my insurance, for example, is typically 15% of the list price. Since I have a high deductible plan, I'm paying the balance myself. Still a heck of a lot of money, but much much less than it could be. I know all this research is a hassle, but probably worth your time.
Slacker
E4/E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

As an engineer, I tend to look for "root causes" and also apply the "Pareto Principle" which is also called the "80/20" rule. Meaning that 80% of the benefit comes from 20% of the action.

In her Primer,
Stavia wrote: Strategy 1. Lowering insulin resistance
Strategy 2. Exercise
Strategy 3. Sleep
Strategy 4. Stress management
Strategy 5. Eating a healthy diet with heaps of micronutrients.
Strategy 6. Cognitive enhancement
Strategy 7. Social enhancement
Strategy 8. Selected supplements
Strategy 9. Reducing inflammation in your body.
Strategy 10. Avoid Smoking
Strategy 11. Avoid having high blood pressure
Strategy 12. Avoid hitting your head hard enough to sustain a concussion
So I thought I'd go through things that I do to attack these strategies with small or no cost. This does not mean that anyone should do what I do or that I think I have the "right" answer. I do not. I'm just giving examples.

1. I restrict my eating to 2 hours/day. I periodically water fast for 5-days. Though I eat low carb, you can accomplish this goal eating about anything, if you combine it with fasting. Toronto nephrologist, Jason Fung, came up with his fasting protocol for his patients just this reason. He has a lot of info in his blog and book. You can also find many presentations he's done.

2. I do a lot of body weight exercise. I use a suspension trainer which can be constructed inexpensively.. A search on "TRX exercises" will show many options. I also do super slow to failure workout. These do not need to be frequent so I do them 2x/month. I go to a rec center to do them at $5/visit. However you can do them at home as per Doug McGuff's video. McGuff has a website with much info, here as well as many videos and podcast interviews.

3. I try to not eat at least 3 and preferably 4 hours before bed. I try to meditate and not watch screens before bed (breathing meditation down load here). I tape my mouth shut so I will nose breath (minimize possible apnea) at night. Other tape. I try to have my room as dark as possible. I do not keep devices or screens in my bedroom. I try to spend as much time outside in sunlight as possible during the day in as few clothes as possible without glasses, contacts or sunglasses. I try to spend at least a few minutes in the hour after sunrise outside looking toward (not at) the sun.

4. I try to always breathe through my nose whatever I'm doing, including exercise. When I breathe, I try to make it diaphragmatic, but very light. As the Taoists say, the best breathing is when the fine hairs in your nose don't move. Breathing should be nearly imperceptible to me and to any observer. I try to stay in the present as much as possible. I do the breathing meditation linked in #3. I also do some "hardening." That is i cold adapt by wearing as few clothes as possible in the winter as well as taking cold baths. Once adapted the hormonal cascade from doing this is stress reducing.

5. I try to choose foods that have a direct relationship to the sun. That is either a plant or something that ate a plant. That is single ingredient foods that are not processed.

6. I read papers in PubMed, am currently trying to help a family member with a glioblastoma stay alive as standard of care does not have great statistics. This is challenging as I don't have a biology or biochem background.

7. I try to set up social engagements frequently with friends, preferably outside in the sun doing something active.

8. I must take large quantities of magnesium to keep atrial fibrillation at bay, however I buy it in powdered form in bulk to defray costs.

9. I've had allergies and rhinitis since an infant. When I eat a low lectin, low glycemic and low in seed oil diet as well as practicing the breathing as mentioned in #4, which aims to increase serum CO2, this is much reduced.

10. I quit smoking in 1980.

11. All of the above keeps my BP normal.

12. I am careful about what activities I'm in, I practice balance exercises and I wear a helmet when appropriate (like riding a bicycle).

I think this covers much more than 20% but most of what is listed above is little or no cost. Hopefully this will give an idea as to how I approach this.
Tincup
E3,E4