23andMe founder: "Good health care comes to those who complain"

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
hill dweller
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

23andMe founder: "Good health care comes to those who complain"

Post by hill dweller »

Anne Wojcicki is the kind of friend you want in your corner. She twitter-shamed Stanford into waiving a huge deposit from a critically ill, uninsured friend, and twitter-shamed the timely transfer of his medical records. She called 911 to get care for a grandmother in hospice. Says she learned it from her mother (a locally famous high school teacher):
When they were growing up, Anne said her medical chart had an asterisk, warning doctors about Esther. “This mother can be a bit difficult to deal with,” it said.

“It was a point of family pride,” she laughs. “We learned not to be afraid to demand the care we needed.”
Go Anne!

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04/05/ ... al-center/
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 23andMe founder: "Good health care comes to those who complain"

Post by TheBrain »

What a story! I surely have an asterisk in my medical chart at various providers I’ve seen over the years.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Kenny4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kenny4/4 »

I like Anne Wojcicki. She fights the good fight. Thanks to the company she co-founded and is CEO of I know of my 4/4 status and my daughters know that they carry one and possibly 2 apoe4 alleles. We can hopefully mitigate our risks with lifestyle changes.

Thanks Anne!
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

This was a good interview released a few days ago:

"How far away are we from someone being able to spit in a tube and you telling them like, Here's what you need to have a good shot at living to 100." "That's one of the things that's most exciting, like what we can do by having a community of people who are all engaged... Success for me is at the end of this decade, I will tell you what to do... give me another few years." "That's pretty exciting." "I'm on it... I'm on it Sam."
Novell
New User
New User

Post by Novell »

hill dweller wrote:Anne Wojcicki is the kind of friend you want in your corner. She twitter-shamed Stanford into waiving a huge deposit from a critically ill, uninsured friend, and twitter-shamed the timely transfer of his medical records. She called 911 to get care for a grandmother in hospice. Says she learned it from her mother (a locally famous high school teacher):
When they were growing up, Anne said her medical chart had an asterisk, warning doctors about Esther. “This mother can be a bit difficult to deal with,” it said.

“It was a point of family pride,” she laughs. “We learned not to be afraid to demand the care we needed.”
Go Anne!

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04/05/dying-friend-of-anne-wojcicki-gets-help-from-stanford-after-the-23andme-founder-shamedcodesthe-medical-center/
Thanks for sharing!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
All the best: https://diceus.com/dashboard-software-open-source/
Last edited by Novell on Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ccfield
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ccfield »

Hello and Welcome Novell!

We are glad you are here! If you are so inclined, you can post your story in the Our Stories forum. We'd love to know more about you.

Also, if you've not yet read the Primer, it's quite extensive in its information on ApoE4. It was written by physician member Stavia who continues to update it with new information so I highly recommend it.

There is also a Search function at the top of the page if you would like to search for a topic that may have already been discussed in the forums.

We are glad you are here and if you have any questions, please feel free to private message me or start a new thread in one of the forums.

Welcome!

- Carrie B
- Carrie B
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Reminds me of the line from a Disney tune.... You sang so loud you should be proud! :D
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD