How could my homocysteine levels go up on B-complex

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

How could my homocysteine levels go up on B-complex

Post by shacherry »

Hi all,

I was optimistic that with adding a quality B-complex vitamin I'd lower my already pretty good homocysteine level of 9 down to 7. To my surprise, it went up to 14.6. I just read that vitamin B reduces the level by around 25% so that meant my number would be even higher. Anyone know what's going on here. My lipids were good. Maybe this has something to do with being 52 but already having a 40% blockage in my main heart artery.

CHOLESTEROL 175.0 mg/dL

TRIGLYCERIDES 38 mg/dL

HDL CHOLESTEROL 110 mg/dL

LDL CHOLESTEROL/CALC 57 mg/dL

CHOL/HDL RATIO 1.6
ApoE 3/4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: How could my homocysteine levels go up on B-complex

Post by TheresaB »

One thought, did you lose weight? homocysteine can go up with weight loss.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I think Niacin can raise homocysteine.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Another thought... have you increased you meat intake? That can also increase homocysteine.

What's the breakdown of your B-complex? The starting point for homocysteine reduction is B12-1 mg, folate 800 mcg, B6 (P5P)-20mg. Also, how’s your Omega-3 status? B vitamins have been found ineffective at lowering homocysteine without adequate Omega-3.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

shacherry wrote:Anyone know what's going on here.
If I were you, I wouldn't change anything and retest. It might just be an outlier, given the large change.

Other places to look. Have you done 23andme or other test that you could run through an analytic program like Promethease, Strategene or Found My Fitness genetic tool? Hard to speculate without knowing what other snps might be in play.

Also, could you post the amounts of Bs in your supplement?
shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shacherry »

Hi all,

My diet has not changed nor has my weight since the blood test last December that showed 9. I follow a very heart healthy diet with little meat. The only medicine changes are now
I am on spironolactone that can lower blood pressure but I use it to block excess male hormones in my bloodstream and a green tea supplement for the same reason. Google said that the green tea supplement should have reduced homocysteine levels not raised them.

The Vitamin B-Complex is called vital nutrients the brand was suggested by a naturopath who was referred to me by Dr. Isaacson, (he heads Weill Cornell's Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic)

HIC 100 mg
Riboflavin 25mg
B6 25mg
folate 400mcg
B12 500mcg
biotin 400mcg
pantohenic acid 200mg

I take it once in the morning.

Aren't we humans such a mystery!
ApoE 3/4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I've read that decreased estrogen can raise homocysteine. Could a decrease in male hormones cause a similar effect? Just a thought with no scientific backing.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shacherry »

Plumster wrote:I've read that decreased estrogen can raise homocysteine. Could a decrease in male hormones cause a similar effect? Just a thought with no scientific backing.
The thought of hormone relationship came to me too. Could not only female but male hormones be part of the relationship to why more women get AD than men?

When I asked Google about androgens and homocysteine there was little info on its connection. I have very low estrogen since I took my ovaries out and had breast cancer. The male hormones were double what they should have been for women at 52. I am happy to report that the medicine and supplement got them to the normal range, so they are not really low now just normal. Studies show that high levels of male hormones in women grow breast cancer or helps it progress in women who already had it, so that was why I went on a quest to lower them. Hoping the success of the quest sticks when I re-test my hormones in 5 months!

I am going to ask your question to my endocrinologist. She likes smart patients.
ApoE 3/4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

shacherry wrote:The only medicine changes are now I am on spironolactone that can lower blood pressure...
From a quick check, spironolactone needs SAMe to be metabolized.

SAMe of course is created from B vitamins via the methylation cycle, so you are now using up extra B vitamins to metabolize spironolactone that in the past would have been used to recycle homocysteine.

You'll likely need to boost your Bs. Maybe try adding 400 mcg folate and 500 mcg B12 and retest in a few weeks. If that doesn't work, talk to your doctor about what you're experiencing.
shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shacherry »

SusanJ wrote:
shacherry wrote:The only medicine changes are now I am on spironolactone that can lower blood pressure...
From a quick check, spironolactone needs SAMe to be metabolized.

SAMe of course is created from B vitamins via the methylation cycle, so you are now using up extra B vitamins to metabolize spironolactone that in the past would have been used to recycle homocysteine.

You'll likely need to boost your Bs. Maybe try adding 400 mcg folate and 500 mcg B12 and retest in a few weeks. If that doesn't work, talk to your doctor about what you're experiencing.
Susan, it is always exciting to me when I meet, even through cyberspace, wicked smaht people like yourself. What a very possible reasoning for the homocysteine increase. Before I increase the B12 and folate I am going to run the amounts I'd be taking by the homeopathic cancer doctor I saw who suggested the green tea supplements. I don't want to take more of something that might put me at risk for breast cancer. I also am going to share this possibility with my cardiologist and endocrinologist. They might think I'm wicked smaht too, but I'll give you all the credit!
ApoE 3/4