Mercury in root canal

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
nrusso82
New User
New User

Mercury in root canal

Post by nrusso82 »

Has anyone ever heard of Memory loss in an APOE4 (age 68) patient after a root canal?
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Mercury in root canal

Post by TheresaB »

I have not heard of that, but if you go to our Wiki, there's an articleHow to get the most out of the ApoE4.info website where there's a subheading "Searching the site for information". When I popped "mercury" in the advanced search box, I got 415 hits and 93 for "root canal."

I also know Dr Bredesen discusses mercury as one on the toxic metals that promotes amyloid-beta plaques development.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

nrusso82, I can't speak specifically to your dad's issue, but we are building evidence that E4 carriers are suceptible to accumulating more mercury (than other APOE genotypes) and experiencing more deleterious effects. You might find this recent study helpful.

You may want to consider taking your dad to a biological dentist and simply having the tooth pulled. The QuickSilver Tri-Test is the one Dr. Bredesen uses to check mercury levels. If high, your dad may want to consider chelation therapy.
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Hi nrusso82 and welcome to the APOE4.info site. We are happy to have you on board! I have not heard of memory loss after a root canal although since you are concerned, Julie offers some great advice. I wonder if the tooth that received treatment might have had some mercury removed during the procedure that entered this person's system. I have heard of sedation causing memory loss and wonder if this might also have been a factor in the root canal procedure. Dr. Hathaway (who works with Dr. Bredesen) recently discussed a patient who came in to see her who experienced memory loss following a surgical procedure. She was started on a treatment which I believe included supplements, chelation and IV (Vitamin C/Myers Cocktail) and she was making great progress. This is something a Bredesen trained physician could support you with. As time allows we invite you to peruse our Primer... and Theresa's idea to search the site for root canal and mercury is a great idea. Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
docdewitt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by docdewitt »

Mercury is a heavy metal that can cause type 3 Alzheimer’s BUT ApoE4 carriers are supposed to actually be resistant to these types of toxins. That’s why the ApoE4 allele exists... to fight infections, toxins etc. It doesn’t make you immune to infection...just resistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ncjlhp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ncjlhp »

There is some evidence coming to light recently that the materials used in filling the root canals are not as biologically inert as once thought. specifically the gutta percha most dentists use. That being said removal of the mercury/silver fillings, is much more likely to cause any mercury related issues in dentistry.
Jan conventional DDS, near retirement, not biologic
APOE2/4
docdewitt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by docdewitt »

Yes, removal of mercury can cause the mercury to be more easily absorbed into the body. We utilize American Biodental for patients looking to safely remove heavy metals from their dental work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

docdewitt wrote:Mercury is a heavy metal that can cause type 3 Alzheimer’s BUT ApoE4 carriers are supposed to actually be resistant to these types of toxins. That’s why the ApoE4 allele exists... to fight infections, toxins etc. It doesn’t make you immune to infection...just resistant.
I'm a little unclear on the terms "immune" versus "resistant." Those with ApoE4 alleles appear to be less affected by biotoxins and heavy metals in comparison to non-E4s, but still have the ability to be sickened by them. Just might take a little longer. My understanding is the Dr Bredesen is seeing more ApoE4's with type 3 AD. Anyone with cognitive decline, with or without an ApoE4 allele, especially at a "young" age, would be well served by investigating the presence of biotoxins and heavy metals.
Slacker
E4/E4
docdewitt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by docdewitt »

100% agree!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Important clarifications, slacker. Perhaps I’m also confused, but I was under the impression that ApoE4 is particularly vulnerable to the effects of mercury intoxication because of our increased inability to bind it coupled with our more permeable blood brain barrier. Section 5 of this very recent paper offers a nice overview with references.