Gundry Soda

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Gundry Soda

Post by ApropoE4 »

I thought balsamic vinegar died with sundried tomatoes and the nineties. :)

Apple cider vinegar, like most non-fancy vinegar, is water with 7% acetic + malic acid and some trace flavonoids. Other than being bad for your teeth it's very difficult to imagine it would have any effect or benefit.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

ApropoE4 wrote:I didn't say it's like drinking as much sweetened soda.
Right, you didn't say those exact words. What you actually said was much stronger:
Drinking this drink would be (1) the same as drinking soda
Brian4
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Brian4 »

Other than being bad for your teeth it's very difficult to imagine it would have any effect or benefit.
Imagine a bit harder! Or just do a PubMed search. The effects are small and not too impressive and probably all are a result of delayed gastric emptying. But still.

Either way, the fluid I prefer to drink is water. It does a body good.
Last edited by Brian4 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ε4/ε4 (for now).
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ApropoE4 »

MarcR wrote:
ApropoE4 wrote:I didn't say it's like drinking as much sweetened soda.
Right, you didn't say those exact words. What you actually said was much stronger:
Drinking this drink would be (1) the same as drinking soda
You're right. It would have been more accurate to say it's exactly like drinking less soda. (assuming you don't add more balsamic)

But then I'm not selling balsamic vinegar and I'm not misquoting studies to do so. Gundry is doing both.
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ApropoE4 »

Brian4 wrote:
Other than being bad for your teeth it's very difficult to imagine it would have any effect or benefit.
Imagine a bit harder! Or just do a PubMed search. The effects are small and not too impressive and probably all are a result of delayed gastric emptying. But still.

Either way, the fluid I prefer to drink is water. It does a body good.
You're right! There is one great use for cider vinegar:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30100831
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Ah, he IS selling balsamic vinegar. That puts the soda video in a different light for me.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Balsalmic vinegar is far from junk food, right? I happen to love the stuff (in moderation.) It's the perfect complement to my high polyphenol EVOO. A quick review of the science shows that vinegar seems to have beneficial health effects via various bioactives: polyphenols, micronutrients and antioxidants leading to antimicrobial, antioxidative and antidiabetic effects and more found in this and this paper among others. Debate on the science is welcome.

I don't think anyone appreciates Dr. Gundry's aggressive marketing, but the vinegar he sells appears to be a curation effort vs. direct sales. In the link Marc shares, he's gathered various low lectin foods that he deems compliant and then links to the various sellers- in this case Amazon.

Hey Theresa, what's the name of that vinegar you bought in San Diego at our Whole Foods dinner? It rocked my world and I need some :D.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Thanks for looking more closely, Julie - agree it's curation, so I withdraw my remark about the video.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

slacker wrote:I found a "low" cost store brand balsamic at Whole Foods without the caramel colorant.
Thanks for the heads up, slacker!
4/4
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

Interesting discussion. I appreciate the skepticism, because there's so much sensationalist health advice out there.
ApropoE4 wrote:You're right! There is one great use for cider vinegar:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30100831
I honestly have no idea how significant the benefits of vinegar consumption are, but this made me laugh :lol:
4/4