Book or Website Meal Plan Recommendation

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
caroline8o9
New User
New User

Book or Website Meal Plan Recommendation

Post by caroline8o9 »

Hello,

I have one copy of the Apoe4 allele and both my mother and her mother had advanced dementia for over 10 years each. I would like to find a good meal plan to follow to get me started eating correctly. I tried the Diet Doctor online, but I felt that meal plan contained too much of the bad fats - a lot of red meat, butter, mayonnaise, etc. Then I bought Maria Emmerich's 30 Day Ketogenic Cleanse, which seemed healthier, but that is definitely too complicated for a beginner and working mother. It is only 2 meals/day plus very complicated recipes for each meal. Are there any books or websites that provide a recommended meal plan - not just guidelines - that is fairly simple to follow?

Thank you!
Caroline
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Book or Website Meal Plan Recommendation

Post by TheresaB »

I haven’t read the book, but I’ve heard the author in a couple podcast interviews— Genius Foods by Max Lugavere (sp?). He went through the experience of cognitive decline in his mom. He impressed me as having done a lot of research and being well spoken, so I’m guessing the book is good, but please investigate it, I’m not sure or has the meal plans you’re looking for. Maybe someone else has read it and can chime in.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

caroline8o9 wrote:
I would like to find a good meal plan to follow to get me started eating correctly.
Hi Caroline;

Members have submitted recipes that are found in the wiki. There are many different approaches to eating well; hopefully you will find this resource helpful.

You can check out Dr Mark Hyman's "Eat Fat, Get Thin" for recipe ideas as well. He includes meat.
Slacker
E4/E4
Boireann
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Boireann »

Hi Caroline; I too, have Maria Emmerich's 30 Day Ketogenic Cleanse. I have had to substitute most of her meat recipes for my 'non-mammal' preferences. This helps with the unhealthy saturated fats that I need to stay away from since heart disease runs in the family. Many of her recipes are complicated but I have pulled out a few that I really like so her book is worth it to me. In addition, I have incorporated the 'cereal' recipes found on the wiki site here. The cronometer is a helpful tool in counting my carbs. I have also subscribed to a CSA; Farm Fresh to You, for weekly organic produce. I am always searching for quick, easy, put-together meals that are Keto friendly. I have yet to find the magic meal plan though. So my basic advice is eat simple! I am no longer a 'foodie'; I am no longer a 'great' cook/baker. But I can make a mean salad dressing in less than 30 seconds!
~Boireann
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

caroline8o9 wrote:Are there any books or websites that provide a recommended meal plan - not just guidelines - that is fairly simple to follow?
You might want to consider "The Longevity Diet," by Valter Longo. The guidelines are straightforward, and he provides some meal plans at the back to get started. The book also emphasizes the importance of periodic fasting.