First Blood Results: Very High Homocysteine

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: First Blood Results: Very High Homocysteine

Post by SusanJ »

I'm a big fan of Lynch's idea of dirty genes. Basically treat the symptoms, not your genetic variant or you can "overtreat" and cause more problems. For example, not everyone needs 800 mcg/day of folate, which seems to be a standard starting dose in the FM world. Lynch says to start low, go up to resolve symptoms and drop down once you are doing better to find the sweet spot. In some cases you might not need the supplement at all. Good advice for taking any supplement IMHO.

The pointinstitute.org article provides good background on homocysteine, but I'll take issue with the standard prescription for treatment, including the use of folic acid. Folic acid works for many, but for those of us with MTHFR and MTHFD1, it's hard to metabolize, causing other problems.

We have lots of information in the Methylation Wiki, including a link to the very useful posts by Chris Masterjohn. His posts are well researched, and for me, adding creatine, choline and glycine have done more for me personally than any other approach to lowering homocysteine. Chris Kresser also recently posted that he is seeing great results using Masterjohn's protocol in his patients.

Here is Masterjohn's post and scroll down to click on "MTHFR protocol" button for details.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

SusanJ wrote: IMHO, I would do one at a time, starting with B12. It will help you if you experience any side effects. If you get a side effect, lower the amount and if that doesn't work, as Plumster suggested, try a different form. Then add folate. Same thing, look for side effects.

Once you get a couple of months in on B12 and folate, then test both, along with homocysteine to see if you're going in the right direction. Methylation problems are definitely tweak and test, and as you improve, you might find you can lower doses over time.

And great A1c - I've love to have a number like that!

Good luck!
I'll opt for this route. Thanks Susan!
SusanJ wrote: Just saw this one on vitamin D and suggestions how to test and treat from Chris Kresser. Might want to talk to your doctor.

https://chriskresser.com/vitamin-d-more-is-not-better/
This is useful. I'm going to share it with my D3-supplementing family members. I'll look into testing my PTH next time I go for bloods.
4/4
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

SusanJ wrote: We have lots of information in the Methylation Wiki, including a link to the very useful posts by Chris Masterjohn. His posts are well researched, and for me, adding creatine, choline and glycine have done more for me personally than any other approach to lowering homocysteine. Chris Kresser also recently posted that he is seeing great results using Masterjohn's protocol in his patients.

Here is Masterjohn's post and scroll down to click on "MTHFR protocol" button for details.
Thanks! I've been finding the wiki very helpful. I've also been meaning to try Masterjohn's protocol (creatine, choline, glycine), but for now I'll stick to the plan of one thing at a time.
4/4
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

fxmedcoach wrote:Did you have a specific question with relation to your labs? If so that might be helpful so we gear our comments more towards what you are looking for vs throwing random information out there.

As others have stated, 18.9 is a high level for Homocysteine. But this is something that can be addressed. Here is a great resource from Point of Institute that you may find helpful -- http://www.pointinstitute.org/wp-conten ... steine.pdf.

A great reference for SNPs is Dr. Ben Lynch. He has a great book -- Dirty Genes, and his website is also full of information as well. He also offers a Dirty Genes course that is full of great information. You can find more information about the course at http://www.drbenlynch.com (under products tab). The VDR SNPs could be hindering your Vitamin D absorption contributing to the low Vitamin D levels.
Deborrah, thanks. I'm grateful for any comments or advice on the labs. Homocysteine seems like the main culprit to address, and all the posts so far have been very helpful.

However, my doctor isn't very knowledgeable about things like Lp(a), ApoA1 and ApoB, so I don't really know how well I'm doing here. My maternal grandfather has cardiovascular disease, so it's something to watch for me and my mom. Apparently my ApoB/ApoA1 ratio is "high", although the individual values for ApoB and ApoA1 are within range (at least, according to the targets set by the lab that did my tests). My non-HDL cholesterol is also "high", but again, I'm not sure whether this is something I should be concerned about.

Also, I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether or not I should supplement with magnesium. According to the lab, it's "normal", but I think Bredesen wants it higher.
4/4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Rainbow wrote:
Also, I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether or not I should supplement with magnesium. According to the lab, it's "normal", but I think Bredesen wants it higher.
The only target range for magnesium that I could find from Dr B is for RBC mag. I doubt that this is the test that you got. Double check! It's more common to order a blood or serum magnesium level.
Slacker
E4/E4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Rainbow wrote:I've also been meaning to try Masterjohn's protocol (creatine, choline, glycine), but for now I'll stick to the plan of one thing at a time.
Good approach. If B12 and folate don't get homocysteine to where you want, then try Masterjohn's protocol. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Markus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Markus »

I can attest to Masterjohn's protocol. Being compound heterozygous MTHFR and MTRR, as well as heterozygous COMT and VDR Taq, I don't do well with metyhlfolate and methyl-B12 but still need methylation support.

In addition to the above, I also take some B2 in the form of riboflavin-5-phosphate and magnesiumglycinate-malate.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I hope you've had good news regarding your homocysteine levels!
A word of encouragement: It took me 10 months, but mine is now at 7.7. We can do it, despite our MTHFR and finicky COMT++!!
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

Plumster wrote: A word of encouragement: It took me 10 months, but mine is now at 7.7. We can do it, despite our MTHFR and finicky COMT++!!
That's great news! I'm so happy :D
4/4
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

slacker wrote:The only target range for magnesium that I could find from Dr B is for RBC mag. I doubt that this is the test that you got. Double check! It's more common to order a blood or serum magnesium level.
Thanks slacker. Yes, mine is indeed serum magnesium.
4/4