Anxiety!

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Wondering
Contributor
Contributor

Anxiety!

Post by Wondering »

I am struggling more and more with anxiety. In particular, I wake up after only a few hours of sleep, and cannot calm down enough to fall back to sleep. I am averaging way less sleep than would be good for me, especially given the priority of Alzheimer's prevention.
Although I can always find something to worry about, and it's true that the current political climate, the news, etc., is certainly anxiety-producing for some of us :shock: , I suspect in my case that the anxiety is already happening, and my mind then latches onto something concrete to worry about as the "cause."

The typical anti-anxiety medications are counter-indicated for us E4s. Ditto most sleeping meds, though I don't have trouble initially falling asleep, so I don't think they'd help, anyway. I already exercise almost every day. My diet is usually pretty good. I don't drink coffee. I'm post-menopausal but a breast cancer survivor, so progesterone and estrogen are out. I am working with a skilled Naturopath/Homeopath, and with his help am now usually sleeping at least 5 hours before waking - which is an improvement - and sometimes can even fall back to sleep. It's nowhere near enough, though.

I'm looking for suggestions about handling anxiety in general, and about sleep in particular.

Thanks in advance!
E3/E4, both parents had LOAD
broiler_x
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Anxiety!

Post by broiler_x »

I struggle with sleep issues at times as well. And like you, it's not falling asleep that's the problem, but staying asleep. I also have what I call "racing thoughts" where my mind will not slow down. I assume that you are already using melatonin? I started meditating on a daily basis about 6 months ago, and that seems to have helped a bit. I wish I had more to offer, but it's a struggle for me as well...
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

"The typical anti-anxiety medications are counter-indicated for us E4s."

I wasn't aware of this. I had seen some studies showing (small) protective effects from SSRI's.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Perhaps Wondering is talking about benzodiazepine drugs.

Other options for anxiety are mediation and/or herbal adaptogens like ashwaghanda. There's a great wiki section on stress. You can find out more about ashwaghanda in a topic discussion here.
Slacker
E4/E4
Wondering
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Wondering »

slacker wrote:Perhaps Wondering is talking about benzodiazepine drugs.

Other options for anxiety are mediation and/or herbal adaptogens like ashwaghanda. There's a great wiki section on stress. You can find out more about ashwaghanda in a topic discussion here.
Yes, it's that family of drugs I was referring to. I do take Ashwaghanda already (twice a day with meals, as part of my regular supplement protocol). Perhaps I should take it closer to bedtime?

Thanks for the comments!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Wondering wrote: I do take Ashwaghanda already (twice a day with meals, as part of my regular supplement protocol). Perhaps I should take it closer to bedtime?
It wouldn't hurt to try!
Slacker
E4/E4
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hairyfairy »

During the 1980`s, I was addicted to benzodiazapines, & now I`m stressing about how much damage may have been done to my brain now that I`m aware of my apoe status.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Wondering wrote:I am struggling more and more with anxiety. In particular, I wake up after only a few hours of sleep, and cannot calm down enough to fall back to sleep. I am averaging way less sleep than would be good for me, especially given the priority of Alzheimer's prevention.
Are you exercising close to bedtime? That can cause issues. Also don't know where you live, but CBD oil is often helpful with anxiety. It comes from Cannabis, but does not have any mind-altering effects. It is not legal in many states/countries even so...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Wondering
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Wondering »

mike wrote:Are you exercising close to bedtime? That can cause issues. Also don't know where you live, but CBD oil is often helpful with anxiety. It comes from Cannabis, but does not have any mind-altering effects. It is not legal in many states/countries even so...
Hi Mike,

Exercise is typically morning or early afternoon, not usually evening, so I don't think that's it (though I will keep it in mind). The CBD oil is an interesting idea. I live in a state where it's legal (in fact, we use it as the primary calming medication for my dad, who has advanced Alzheimer's). So I am definitely familiar with it, and even know something about brands and where to purchase. Hmmm. Thanks for the suggestion.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Wondering wrote:The CBD oil is an interesting idea. I live in a state where it's legal (in fact, we use it as the primary calming medication for my dad, who has advanced Alzheimer's). So I am definitely familiar with it, and even know something about brands and where to purchase. Hmmm. Thanks for the suggestion.
Wondering,

The effects can be subtle. A friend tried it after not getting other stuff to work. She said she really didn't notice much, until at the end of her shift, she realized she had nor had any anxiety attacks the whole day... It sounded huge for her. Well need to see how it works over time. I've read in the past that it can promote brain healing as well.
Sonoma Mike
4/4