Anyone use fibrates?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Anyone use fibrates?

Post by SoCalGuy »

I have very low HDL levels which seems to be pretty common for those of us with an APOE 4 allele. My last HDL reading was 43 which was actually a high point for me which I am attributing to running for 30 mins a couple times a week and regular consumption of olive oil due to the Dr. Gundry protocol. My Trigs are also a bit on the high side at 150. I am doing time restricted eating (20 hour fast/ 4 hour feeding window) and have really cut back on carbs to see if I can get the trigs below 100.

My question is whether anyone has used fibrates and if so can you give a general idea of what impact they had on HDL and Trigs? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Whatnow
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Anyone use fibrates?

Post by Whatnow »

Hi SoCalGuy,
No, I've not used fibrates. I am replying because I have problems with statins and also have T2 diabetes so fibrates are of interest to me. According to a study (it might have been VA-HIT?) fibrates reduced the rate of some diabetic complications (retiopathy, amputations, etc). However, I don't know whether or not it would do me any good so long as my triglycerides are okay. I'm on a LCHF diet and still on metformin as well so my triglycerides are not high. Anyway, fibrates are suppossed to reduce triglycerides (but I expet you already know that). Your high triglycerides and low HDL make me wonder if you have insulin resistance (my numbers are very similar when I am not on LCHF).