Sinusitis, Biofilms and Biocidin

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Sinusitis, Biofilms and Biocidin

Post by SusanJ »

circular wrote:To stay on it or not to stay on it
I might try it again down the road when I feel my gut is a bit more healed.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Bettylacy wrote: ... https://microgendx.com where I did the testing...
I came back here to check this site out a little more. I was getting ready to do another nasal culture and thought I should look into the DNA approach. I found this explanation on their website about biofilms helpful. It seems to say that chronic vs acute infections relate to whether or not there is biofilm (chronic). I'd been calling chronic infections 'colonizations' after seeing that word used that way, but it may be more helpful to say 'biofilm infections'?
3. Interpretation of the Lab Report - What Does All This Mean?

Detecting multiple species in a sample may be overwhelming, especially seeing species that you do not recognize. We are providing a complete picture of the microorganisms at the site the sample was taken from. If the sample was taken from an area of the host which has an established microbiome, (sinus cavity, mouth) interpretation can be more of a challenge. The following are points you should consider when reviewing our report.

When treating a chronic infection you are dealing with biofilm phenotype.
CDC and NIH “have estimated that biofilm infections now constitute 65% to 80% (respectively) of bacterial infections treated by physicians in the developed world.
All bacteria / microorganisms will move to a biofilm phenotype.
If we detect multiple species from a host site that is normally sterile, there is a high probability you are dealing with a Biofilm.[Emphasis added]
Now here is Chris Kresser on biofilms, which makes me think biofilm busters like Biocidin (assuming it does what it's purported to do) could backfire just as abx can, yet he goes on to make suggestions about how to address biofilms (some I haven't heard of):
Fourth, biofilms might also play a role in the healthy gut, making it difficult to distinguish between pathogenic and healthy communities (4, 7).
As usual the comments are interesting.

I keep thinking that instead of being in attack mode against infections and biofilms, which can backfire on any number of fronts, isn't there some way to get at them through the back door, by restoring the health of the epithelium from the inside such that it will kick off the biofilm for disposal? This is probably part of the protocols and I just never thought about it that way?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

Circ, hope you feel better soon. Hugs betty
APOe 3/4; If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together. African proverb. :D
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

circular wrote:This is probably part of the protocols and I just never thought about it that way?
Starting to look at my healing path in this light. I, and I'm sure you, have dropped supplements when I felt they accomplished what they needed to do. For example, I've stopped taking curcumin at the moment, because it can negatively affect some other enzymes, like MAO-A. And stopping it has not made my joints worse, or caused other inflammatory issues. I stopped quercetin a while back because it impacts estrogen metabolism, and don't feel like I need it for histamine balance anymore. So, for at least some supplements, we might need to reassess from time-to-time if we need to keep taking them once we get over a particular hump.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

SusanJ wrote: Starting to look at my healing path in this light. I, and I'm sure you, have dropped supplements when I felt they accomplished what they needed to do. For example, I've stopped taking curcumin at the moment, because it can negatively affect some other enzymes, like MAO-A. ... So, for at least some supplements, we might need to reassess from time-to-time if we need to keep taking them once we get over a particular hump.
Definitely agree and have cut back quite quite a bit on supplements as a trial and to save money. I figure that if I can have such a relapse of my old health issues on the pretty much the same protocol as I used to heal from them, then something else is up. I'm also meditating more and longer, which of course is very helpful. I actually think it will do more for me long term than most supplements.

I'll have to look more into curcumin and enzymes. I keep the curcumin because I do have more pain when I stop it. I think I have a MAO mutation I forgot all about.

I've just started using a personal vaporizor (handheld mask type) to see what affect simple hydration might have on my sinus issues. It occurs to me that any nasal spray treatment might not be very effective if the sinuses are dried out and up as mine often are. And what if I just am not draining and infections aren't the real issue?

My first pass at using Tinofend made me very bloated. I had read something about it having lectins in it, and sure enough I had my usual response to lectins. I'll be trying it again to be sure that was the cause, and then decide what to do with it.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

There's also the notion that kimchi juice has microorganism(s) that assist with treating sinusitis. CarrieS mentions her nephew using it with success here.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

I used to get sinus infections at least yearly with sinus swelling or congestion most of the time. Antibiotics at least yearly. And I used fluticasone (flonase) spray daily which definitely helped. Also neti pot. I don't need the spray anymore and haven't had a sinus infection in a few years. For me, I think going gluten free made the difference in nasal congestion. This wasn't the first difference I noticed and was gradual enough to be a subtle improvement. Also, once in desperation, searching the internet for help, I had read something online about using probiotics in the neti pot/salt mix. So I opened a capsule and added a bit twice per day. This seemed to work.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

I do use the Xclear nasal spray sometimes -- xylitol, saline and grapefruit seed extract!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks for sharing your experiences chrissyr! I think when it comes to sinusitis the treatments will end up being quite individual, so sharing lots of ideas for people to try is good.

I personally have trouble with the Neti pot and ear discomfort. I've also used Xclear but found it too irritating. Having been off gluten for 10 years I'm sure that's not it for me.

Lately I've been using the mypuremist handheld steamer. It's quite expensive and I found it cheapest using a 20% off Bed, Bath and Beyond coupon. Then there are the darn refills you have to buy. However, I have felt much better since using this twice a day, and better than similar cheaper items made me feel. There are some bad reviews online, but so far I haven't had any issues with it and think it's helping to just assist my battered mucous membranes with everything this way.

Also see this thread I just posted about mycotoxins in coffee and nasal stuffiness.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

Thanks for the coffee info. Glad there are some better options as I'm not willing to go without it!