Gathering Recipes—I need your help!

Emily C
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Gathering Recipes—I need your help!

Post by Emily C »

Brain Health Kitchen wrote:Hello! I am new to this community and was thrilled to see your post. I am a physician who created a cooking school to help people learn how to cook to fend of Alzheimer's and other dementias: Brain Health Kitchen. The food is mostly based on the Mediterranean diet and follows the MIND diet guidelines. If you want to use any of the recipes on my website http://www.brainhealthkitchen.com, please do! I would love to share them with the group. And I can't wait to see what you all are cooking.
Annie Fenn, MD
Hi Annie - welcome to the community! I went on your website and your recipes look great! I've got my eye on the avocado mayo and sweet potato fries among many other things. Thanks for sharing the link to your website, and again, welcome!
Mclisby
New User
New User

Post by Mclisby »

Very excited to find your site. I am a 4/4 and my father had late onset Alzheimer's. I eat a lot of beans and while no one can say exactly what we should eat, the greener and more colorful the better, seems to be a common ground. They is what I try to do. So am loving what I see so far on your site.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Mclisby wrote:Very excited to find your site. I am a 4/4 and my father had late onset Alzheimer's. I eat a lot of beans and while no one can say exactly what we should eat, the greener and more colorful the better, seems to be a common ground. They is what I try to do. So am loving what I see so far on your site.
Welcome Mclisby! I'm a 4/4 daughter of a grandmother with late onset AD and a mother with earlier onset AD (probably due to herpes). This is a great, supportive community and we're glad you found us too. I love that you've found the "more colorful the better"
information. Eating a rainbow of colors each day is a fun and creative approach to help us get those important polyphenols. I look forward to reading more of your posts.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Gillyp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gillyp »

A very warm welcome to our community, Mclisby. It sounds as if you are pretty creative with your colorful meals. Have you read any of Deanna Minich or Gabriel Cousins' work on rainbow diets?

As you have probably already found, there's a wealth of information available on our site which you may find interesting and helpful for both your father and for yourself. You may want to check out The Primer (viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418) which has been compiled by Stavia, a practitioner and fellow member, and provides several lifestyle factors to optimize cognitive health. If there are particular topics you are interested in the search feature may help and save you some time. We'd love to hear more about your own story if you feel like posting. Again, I'm so pleased to welcome you into our community.
ND, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
FMCA/Reversing Cognitive Decline - Pending Fall 2018
beccabob
New User
New User

Post by beccabob »

Help! I found the recipe page but the nutritional content (Carbs, fats, fiber, protein etc) is not listed. Any chance of getting this info?
dcox
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dcox »

beccabob wrote:Help! I found the recipe page but the nutritional content (Carbs, fats, fiber, protein etc) is not listed. Any chance of getting this info?
Welcome to ApoE4.info, beccabob!
Thank you for pointing this out and asking. It looks like many of the recipes have P/F/C (Protein/Fat/Carbs) listed at the end of the recipe. I'm not sure if there is a plan to get the nutrients added to all of the recipes, but I will bring it up to the support team, and let you know.

We would love to hear more of your story and what has brought you to ApoE4.info, feel free to post on the Our Stories forum anytime.

As you will find as you explore this site, you are surrounded by like-minded, caring and courageous people who are determined to reverse, prevent and stop dementia, AD and cognitive decline in its tracks! As you will also find there is a huge amount of information in these amazing pages. Here are a few highly recommended pages that will give you great places to start taking a deeper dive into the site: the Wiki Page, where you will find some more in depth topics; "How-To" get the most out of the APoE4.info website page, is very easy to use and will allow you to spend your time on the site more efficiently. I also highly recommend the Primer it's a great place to start and to learn more about AD, it was written by Stavia, one of our most active members who is also a doctor, and is E4/E4 herself.

We are all here to support each other, so feel free to reach out to me or anyone else on the site as questions arise.

Enjoy your journey, stay positive and find hope,
Deb
Deb
Enrolled in Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches
Choose Hope
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

beccabob wrote:Help! I found the recipe page but the nutritional content (Carbs, fats, fiber, protein etc) is not listed. Any chance of getting this info?
Hi beccabob--let me know if there is a particular recipe for which you would like the information. I can run it through Cronometer.com and get the macronutrient (Protein/Fat/Carbohydrate) ratios. We are a group of volunteers here, so I have not had time to run each recipe. (And, keep in mind, if a member submitted a recipe without specific quantities of ingredients, it is not really possible to give an accurate nutrient ratio.)

I'm happy to help.
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
Ned
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ned »

My recipe for mayonnaise is as follows:

Separate some egg-yokes.
Beat them with a balloon whisk for about 10 seconds.
Whisk in some oil (extra-virgin olive-oil is my preference).
Keep beating and adding oil until you can’t get anymore oil to mix (seems a bit random but actually it’s quite obvious when you get there).
Add a little citrus juice (lime is my preference but I’ve used lemon and - in January when the marmalade oranges are in the shops - I’ve used Seville orange juice).
Keep whisking and adding juice and suddenly it’s mayonnaise.
The whole thing takes about ten minutes.

I'm a big fan of home-made custard as well...
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

Hey, guys did the wiki page get setup? Some of these recipes look very yummy. Does anyone have some pics of their favourite meals?
52 years of age, 4/4, BMI ~19, Omad, No cognitive decline as of yet ;)
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Richard McG wrote:Hey, guys did the wiki page get setup? Some of these recipes look very yummy. Does anyone have some pics of their favourite meals?
Hi Richard McG,
Are you wondering if we set up the wiki page with recipes? You can find it here. There are just a few photos in there (check out the Pizza with Cauliflower Crust).

Which recipes are you referring to that look yummy? We're always looking for new ones to post.
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach