A common antibiotic may help reverse one aspect of aging

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

A common antibiotic may help reverse one aspect of aging

Post by Julie G »

This is promising! Cellular senescence occurs when normal cells fail to divide. Despite no longer dividing, they remain metabolically active and tend to take on a pro-inflammatory phenotype contributing to aging. As we age, our brain cells also display senescent-like changes and accumulate. Work with mice has shown that drugs targeted at senescent cells prevents tau build-up, protecting neurons. Scientists in England have found that a common antibiotic, azithromycon, can effectively target and eliminate senescent cells in culture. At a single low-dosage, Azithromycin was shown to effectively kill and eliminate the senescent cells, with an efficiency of 97 percent. Moreover, the normal healthy cells thrived in the presence of Azithromycin.

Here’s the press release: Antibiotics eliminate senescent cells associated with ageing

Here’s the paper: Azithromycin and Roxithromycin define a new family of “senolytic” drugs that target senescent human fibroblasts
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: A common antibiotic may help reverse one aspect of aging

Post by circular »

:D I'd be afraid of the antibiotic having adverse consequences via the microbiome, so I wonder how well results will hold up in animals first, then humans, over years. I'm expecting that over time we'll begin hearing more about a brain microbiome. If bad players can go from the sinuses into the brain so can the good ones? Maybe in the year 2000 the abx will be administered with a probiotic cocktail through nasal inhalation and treat both problems :D
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
bladedmind
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by bladedmind »

Never mix azithromycin with berberine unless under full medical advice and supervision. Cardiac toxicity can result.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25976224
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

bladedmind wrote:Never mix azithromycin with berberine unless under full medical advice and supervision. Cardiac toxicity can result.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25976224
Great example of dangerous drug-herb interactions using a common antibiotic. We really have to be careful with our supplements. Thanks blade.
Slacker
E4/E4