I'm here to help . . . and be helped

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
TheHormonePharmacist
Contributor
Contributor

I'm here to help . . . and be helped

Post by TheHormonePharmacist »

Just signed up for the forums.

I've been a compounding pharmacist, specializing in optimizing hormones, for the past 25 years. My area of expertise is patient education, especially helping women in menopause understand the benefits of optimal hormones, even if they never experience hot flashes or menopause symptoms. The research is clear that Alzheimer's prevention is just one of the major benefits of having optimal estradiol and progesterone over the long-term.

Professionally, I work with a company, WorldlinkMedical.com, that teaches healthcare practitioners to transform patients' lives by optimizing their hormones. We recently held a conference focused on the role of genetics, epigenetics, and optimal hormones in preventing and reversing cognitive decline, dementia, and Alzheimer's.

Within 2 weeks of that conference, I spent some time with my parents. My Mom is 78 and is showing signs of cognitive decline that I and my siblings have noticed. My Dad is 80 and also has some memory and gait issues, though not as much as my Mom.

I recently took both of them to Dr. Char Glenn in Portland, OR for an initial evaluation, after finding her on these forums. They're not entirely open to the idea that dementia is looming, especially my Mom. Trying to keep my expectations realistic.

I discovered the Bredesen Protocol at our conference and just finished reading The End of Alzheimer's. It's clear that Big Pharma is not our friend. Ideas like Bredesen's are the next big thing in healthcare, something that actually may work, even though it doesn't make pharmaceutical companies billions of dollars. The medical establishment has absolutely nothing as an alternative for patients facing this terrible mental decline.

As for my own health, I started working out at the gym 4-5 times a week 1 year ago. My wife and I lost 20-25 pounds each with Keto and we've been cutting back carbs as much as we can. I try to do 16/8 or 14/10 intermittent fasting as much as possible. I'm in the best shape of my life and looking to keep my brain as healthy as it can be.

I'm 55 years old and homozygous for ApoE4.
Steve Goldring, RPh The Hormone Pharmacist

I help patients and healthcare practitioners with easy-to-understand patient education resources - mostly about hormone optimization
SimpleHormones.com
srbogert
Contributor
Contributor

Re: I'm here to help . . . and be helped

Post by srbogert »

TheHormonePharmacist wrote:Just signed up for the forums.

I've been a compounding pharmacist, specializing in optimizing hormones, for the past 25 years. ...... I work with a company ....that teaches healthcare practitioners to transform patients' lives by optimizing their hormones. ... My Mom is 78 and is showing signs of cognitive decline... My Dad is 80 and also has some memory and gait issues, though not as much as my Mom..... Ideas like Bredesen's are the next big thing in healthcare, something that actually may work, even though it doesn't make pharmaceutical companies billions of dollars. .....As for my own health, I started working out at the gym 4-5 times a week 1 year ago. My wife and I lost 20-25 pounds each with Keto and we've been cutting back carbs as much as we can......I'm 55 years old and homozygous for ApoE4.
Welcome to the group!! Thank you for sharing about yourself. It is always helpful when medical professionals like yourself join the group and share their knowledge and perspective (As you did in this post). I think you will find the group to be very supportive and a great source of information. We welcome your contributions.

Many people on the site are dealing with parents who have some level of cognitive decline. Some resistance to change and denial on their part is normal. You just have to love them and help them in the ways that they can accept. As other posters share their experience, you may find some helpful tips on how to help your parents. It can be a frightening situation, but I'm glad to see that you are using it as motivation to improve your own life. Congratulations on the weight loss and other health improvements!!

Since you are new here, I'd like to share a couple of tips: First, check out the Primer written by site moderator Stavia. She is a physician and is ApoE4/4 like yourself. The primer is a great starting point for those learning about ApoE and how to manage it. She does regular updates to incorporate the latest and best knowledge available from many sources. As you use the site more, you will want to review the HOW TO page. This will help you navigate the site, do efficient searches, and create effective posts.
Please continue to ask questions and share your knowledge. The site works best when we all participate.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ChipW
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ChipW »

Welcome!
You mentioned having optimal estrogen and progesterone levels in your opening post. Do you mean that for men as well as women? What about testosterone levels?
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
TheHormonePharmacist
Contributor
Contributor

ChipW wrote:Welcome!
You mentioned having optimal estrogen and progesterone levels in your opening post. Do you mean that for men as well as women? What about testosterone levels?
Thanks.
Chip - Yes! Our Worldlink Medical community of 5000 providers across the US is focused on the benefits of "optimal" (as opposed to "normal") hormone levels for both men and women.

Women in menopause tend to have the most dramatic symptoms when their estradiol and progesterone drop, at around age 51. I've surveyed over 1400 women in menopause and their stories are heartbreaking. Women often feel miserable, desperate, unheard, and hopeless. But women who don't have severe symptoms may be the unlucky ones, since they may not make any changes in hormones or lifestyle until it's too late and they've already fallen into dementia, osteoporosis, or other serious consequences. That's my Mom!

Men also have symptoms of low testosterone, but they tend to come on gradually, over 8-10 years. The evidence in the medical literature supports the idea that helping both men and women maintain optimal hormones reduces their risks for multiple diseases, including cognitive decline.

As far as I (and my thousands of colleagues) are concerned, optimal hormones are a key cornerstone to optimal health over the long haul for both men and women.

Dr. Bredesen mentions hormones in The End of Alzheimer's as one of the 36 holes.

I help patients and healthcare practitioners with easy-to-understand patient education resources - mostly about hormone optimization
SimpleHormones.com
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

Greetings from another mid 50's 4/4. It sounds like you are doing a great job with prevention!

I'm sure many members of this group will very much appreciate your expertise in the area of balancing hormones.
TheHormonePharmacist wrote:Women in menopause tend to have the most dramatic symptoms when their estradiol and progesterone drop, at around age 51. I've surveyed over 1400 women in menopause and their stories are heartbreaking. Women often feel miserable, desperate, unheard, and hopeless.
Having gone through surgical menopause totally unaware of the challenges of balancing hormones or the impact on brain health, I know that menopause is an important, complicated, and grossly underestimated brain health issue.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
TheHormonePharmacist
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

SimpleHormones.com