Supplement side effects

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
CoachJD
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Supplement side effects

Post by CoachJD »

I want to add my warm welcome to you, and hope that you'll keep us posted on what you discover about this frightening situation. We are a caring community and are here to support you in every way we can. NF52's "mom" advise is spot on, but I'll just add that our bodies can have bizarre reactions to supplement overload. Digestive problems from new supplements is not uncommon, so I also encourage you to start slow and build up. You didn't say if you were working with a physician or coach, but if you're new to taking vitamins and supplements, or need other support, that might be a good idea for you to get personal guidance. We hope to hear more from you! Welcome!
Joan Dickason, FMCHC
National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches, CertificationPending Fall 2018
"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional " Haruki Muraka
erikv
New User
New User

Post by erikv »

NF52 wrote:
erikv wrote:which of Dr Bredesen recommended supplements, when taken together could lead to a sharp pain in the appendix?

I took 4000iu vitamin D3, Alpha GPC, PQQ and Meriva 500 (Curcumin), and for some reason within a day I got abdomen area cramps and when pressing the appendix directly a sharp pain. I immediately stopped all supplementation and it went away after 3-4 days.
I searched google for supplement side effects appendix' but couldn't see any relevant answers.
Welcome erikv!

It sounds like a scary experience for you to have had both abdominal cramps and sharp pains when pressing on your appendix. So I will add to my warm welcome a little bit of "mom" advice:

I would recommend that you call your primary care provider's office and ask for an appointment due to "sharp pain in the area of my appendix". If you don't have health insurance, or a reasonably priced urgent care center, you could see if there's a free or sliding fee clinic nearby that could check you out. Appendicitis pain usually continues to get worse, but sometimes it comes and goes for a period of time and then become "acute". Some recent studies have suggested that appendicitis might be able to be treated with antibiotics and not surgery. Having seen my husband get appendicitis at the age of 36 with a temperature of 104, I would not want you to get that sick, if there's a chance that your symptoms weren't just due to the supplements.

It's entirely possible that the supplements somehow triggered some reaction in your digestion system that caused pain, and pain can be "referred" to areas far from where it starts (like a pinched shoulder nerve that causes your fingers to tingle). It's one of the reasons that we recommend that people usually start with one supplement at a time, and often with low doses, so their body can get used to that. 4000 iu of Vitamin D, for example, sounds like a pretty high dose, unless you had a doctor prescribe that.

You don't mention if you're concerned about having ApoE 4, but if that is an issue, you should know that you don't have to jump into the deep end and completely change everything you eat and do overnight! I'd recommend starting with browsing the Primer, written by a doctor who is a family practitioner, and who discusses supplements.

We're glad you found us, especially since this is a community of friendly folks who love asking questions and trying to find helpful answers. Most of all, we're here to support each other. I hope you stick around and tell us some more about yourself.
Hi CoachJD and NF52,

Thank you for the comments, I guess it was a pretty unique thing but I wondered if people on this forum who are potentially 'experimenting' with Alzheimer's prevention protocols and supplementation ever encountered such an experience before. To me the appendix reaction was odd. I live in Thailand where hospital facilities are state of the art but surgery and antibiotics are handed out like candy so I'd only go there if I don't have a choice (I don't like hospitals very much).

I have the APO-E4/E4 genotype, but also PPAR gamma and other interesting genotypes which I take into considering choosing my diet and supplements (I've reduced red meat consumption, and increased fish and EVOO most recently). To combat my high stress and inflammation response I'm also doing the Waking Up meditation course. I'm only 38, but my father already has Alzheimers symptoms (interestingly my mother of 64 has none, and the only dietary and lifestyle difference is wine and beer), and my partial photographic memory and ability to hold large abstract structures in my mind is unfortunately gone already. Hence my interest in Alzheimers prevention.

The primer is great resource and I've already skimmed thru quite a few sections. I'll be sure to return to this forum when I have specific experiences or questions.

Erik
Batwoman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batwoman »

Here's new side effect: Ashwagandha was recommended to me by my Neurologist, a Bredesen practitioner. I purchased dried root, from two separate companies, and used the dose recommended. It tasted so bitter I could hardly get it down. It caused instant and extreme nausea after a few days use. I discussed this with my N'gist who suggested I cut the dose way back, to less than 1/2 tsp per day. It had the same effect. I then remembered an herbal coffee substitute from India called Rajah's cup that had the same extreme bitter taste. I couldn't use it up - I had to throw it away. I searched for ingredients on line and sure enough, it has Ashwagandha root as an ingredient. My cortisol is high, so I'd hope that this might help, but sometimes one just can't. Anyone want nearly 16 oz. of Ashwagandha root?
TWBD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TWBD »

I’d dump the calcium, and take K2 along with the D3. Might test your parathyroid PTH and D levels.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20355523.
See link above. Too much calcium in the blood can cause arrhythmia.
Shortage on potassium can cause cramps. Try taking a tbsp or two of black strap molasses...it works really fast. Or increase potassium with avocados. Too much mag just cause loose stools. That can’t be the cause of arrhythmia...I think. Usually increasing mag helps with arrhythmia.
Need to test PTH along with D...increase D until PTH levels drop. I found but lost a fascinating YouTube interview with a doctor in Mexico about raising D with supplements until the PTH drops. Wish I could share.
https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/parathy ... BnsXxpMGf0
APOE 3/4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Turmeric in pill form gives me a stomach ache.

Turmeric is also a methyl donor and not recommended in large doses for all, especially someone with COMT met met.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Josiah
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Josiah »

SusanJ wrote:I typically add new supplements and wait a month before making changes, unless I get immediate side effects.

Stavia,
I've been on magnesuim citrate for years, and yes, it helps my foot and leg cramps. Adding the Magtein is definitely one I wondered about, but the effect certainly wasn't immediate. Maybe it took time for my blood levels to exceed some threshold. Added ALCAR and then citicoline, again waiting a month between each.

I take 225mg/day for osteopenia in my hip. I don't eat any dairy - haven't since 1989. Any suggestions for the osteopenia? I've upped my walking, hoping that will help. I know Julie posted a while back on what she had done, so I also need to look that up.

KatieS,
Thanks for your experience with citicoline. I also have an autoimmune disease (RA). There is a little in my multi, so it might be that adding the extra capsule into the mix put me over some threshold.
I have suffered from Afib for some years and have been active on a forum of Afib sufferers where the consensus is that magnesium in any form is beneficial for heart arrhythmias and should always be taken to bowel tolerance.
E3/E3 male age 84
gmpicket
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gmpicket »

I tried calcium supplements years ago. After taking them for a year or two, I started having arthritis like pain in my arms. I quit taking the calcium and the pain went completely away in about a week or so. I have never tried them again.

I tried taking various B vitamin supplements. I've been taking B12 (methyl version) for a decade or more with no trouble. But when I tried other B vitamins, I had trouble sleeping. So only B12 for me.
Hboroughs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hboroughs »

Batwoman wrote:Here's new side effect: Ashwagandha was recommended to me by my Neurologist, a Bredesen practitioner. I purchased dried root, from two separate companies, and used the dose recommended. It tasted so bitter I could hardly get it down. It caused instant and extreme nausea after a few days use. I discussed this with my N'gist who suggested I cut the dose way back, to less than 1/2 tsp per day. It had the same effect. I then remembered an herbal coffee substitute from India called Rajah's cup that had the same extreme bitter taste. I couldn't use it up - I had to throw it away. I searched for ingredients on line and sure enough, it has Ashwagandha root as an ingredient. My cortisol is high, so I'd hope that this might help, but sometimes one just can't. Anyone want nearly 16 oz. of Ashwagandha root?
Someone on a different thread indicated that Dr Gundry (I think) recommends Relora for elevated Cortisol. I tried it and definitely noticed a calming of my cortisol elevation, and much deeper sleep.
LBKnudson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LBKnudson »

There seems to be some talk on this thread about leg cramps. I have had them for years and I finally found something that will stop them immediately. It is 'Concentrace Trace Mineral Drops' found at www.traceminerals.com. When I get a cramp, I take 1 teaspoon of it in water. It tastes horrible, but it works.
KiminCalifornia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KiminCalifornia »

TheBrain wrote:
KiminCalifornia wrote:I have Osteoporosis and ApoE4 (heterozygote)... I have a 25% bone loss and was told recently to continue with calcium supplements by a specialized treatment group for Osteoporosis at Kaiser Permanente. However, they told me that I should try a "premium source" of calcium like Red Algae. I've read studies about red algae calcium and it does increase osteoblasts and bone density if taken. Some suggest taking it with Strontium to maximize the benefits.
Hi KiminCalifornia,

I have worsening osteoporosis, and my doctor wants me to start an osteoporosis Rx (I don’t yet know which one). May I ask: Why did you stop the Fosamax? And what brand of red algae calcium are you using? Are you taking a 800 mg dose? Lastly, has your osteoporosis stabilized? It sounds like you do a lot to manage your osteoporosis.

Actually, I’m also wondering about your comment about HRT increasing a cardiovascular event. Are you taking conventional HRT or bioidentical HRT?
I'm sorry that I didn't respond back then. I had to go off Fosamax because I had been on it for 12 years and you should take a holiday from it after five. I had a client who was a pharma rep for the drug and she was shocked when I told her how long I had been on it. Apparently, the chances of jaw bone decay and thigh/ leg bone snaps increases the longer you take it. The drug stays in your system for up to two years after you stop. Now that they finally pulled me off of it, they have me get a DEXA every year and I had stabilized. However, with Covid and a broken foot, then a blown knee, I haven't been exercising as much as usual (I usually do 3-4 days in the gym while also walking the dogs every day.) I am not on any drugs except for the Red Algae/Strontium/ Zinc/ Magnesium regimen. I take 1000+ mg each day of the red algae calcium along with 500mg of strontium. However, I don't take them together because the strontium will slow the absorption of the calcium if taken at the same time. So I take the Red Algae in the morning and the Strontium at night. I buy both from Piping Rock. I only take estrace. I sat down with two doctors and went over the heart/HRT studies and was convinced that for me the benefit of estrace outweighed the slight increase in heart problems.
Kim in California