New an trying the Keto diet

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
tyannda
New User
New User

New an trying the Keto diet

Post by tyannda »

Hi, I'm 74 years old and have a lot of health problems. The main one that's on my mind right now is breast cancer. I've read that the Ketogenic diet shrinks tumors.
That's not what brought me here, however. I had an unknown father so I joined Ancestry and 23andme after running the DNA test to find him. I found him and also found I had a 1/2 sister that died of Demetria in her 50's. I ran my raw data through Promethease and found out I have one AopE4 and an ApoE 3 gene and it mentioned this site. At the time I was overwhelmed with the Cancer diagnosis, it was my second breast cancer. They removed that breast, did chemo an I'm taking anastrozole.
Recently I updated my Promethease data, seeing it again I decided to check this site out. That's when I saw your mention of the Keto diet. I've read a lot of your material and was a little confused about MCT oil, for one thing, I saw that it might not be good in some cases. I'm going to need help trying to balance the Keto diet for two different health problems.
A lot of the things I have health problems with points to fats.
In my 40's I was diagnosed with high cholesterol and put on a strict low-fat diet to keep off Lipitor. The diet didn't work so I take Lipitor now. Not long after that, I was diagnosed with MS and bought a book on diet and talked about good oils but still limited my fat. A few years later I was diagnosed with Breast cancer at about 58 the first time.
Is it possible all this is related?
I've got permission from my PCP to be on this diet and he's monitoring my cholesterol I live in Central Arkansas is there anyone in this area trained to help me. All he told me is eat bacon and butter and no bread. I find recipes all over the internet but it's difficult to cook for family and something different for myself.
Thanks
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: New an trying the Keto diet

Post by TheresaB »

Welcome Tyannda
tyannda wrote:a lot of health problems. The main one that's on my mind right now is breast cancer. I've read that the Ketogenic diet shrinks tumors.
Yes, Dr Thomas Seyfried, cancer researcher, has found keto diets do shrink tumors, in fact, in the interview that Dr Peter Attia conducted with him, one of the things Dr Seyfried would like to see is patients, who once diagnosed with cancer and if time allowed, that they be put on a strict ketogenic diet to shrink the tumor to allow the tumor to be excised more easily and completely.

Another one who advocates ketosis to help (it's not a standalone treatment for cancer, but it is a force multiplier) is Dr Nasha Winters. Her book, The Metabolic Approach to Cancer should be a must read given your situation. I read that book right after I read Dr Bredesen's book The End of Alzheimer's and found there's a lot of overlap even though they're targeting two different health concerns. There are also a lot of interviews with her and some videos they can be found here: https://optimalterrainconsulting.com/media. Do be advised she's changing the name of her website soon (I think first of the year) so hopefully that link will still work in a few days. Dr Nasha (as she calls herself) is easy for laypeople to understand and a long time cancer survivor herself.
tyannda wrote:a little confused about MCT oil,
MCT oil is a great aid for ApoE4s to "kick start" a person who is trying to become ketogenic, but continual use is not advised and there are other issues to consider with MCT oil. You might want to visit our wiki Coconut Oil, MCT oil, and other Ketone/Cognition Boosters (salts, esters)
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Gillyp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gillyp »

A very warm welcome tyannda. I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. With everything you have going on thank you for having the courage and taking the time to post your story. It sounds like you've done lots of information gathering and studying to help you be proactive with your different health issues. I know that takes time and effort but I believe the more you know the more it helps. The Ketogenic diet may work for you and TheresaB has suggested a couple of great resources. You may also want to consider working with a health coach to help you implement the Ketogenic diet. You'll find a list of coaches here. https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/ApoE4-Aware_Health_Coaches. A coach may also be able to help you with your questions about good fats, which are so important to the body and our health.

As you probably already know there is a wealth of information on the site. A good place to start is with the Primer (viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418). You can also search the Wiki for specific information. If you have any questions, or have information you'd like to share, please continue to post to the community. We are all here to support each other. Again, welcome.
ND, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
FMCA/Reversing Cognitive Decline - Pending Fall 2018
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

Hello tyannda,

One book you may want to consider checking out is Valter Longo's book the Longevity Diet. He is a leading researcher on the impact fasting has on our genes with regard to cellular aging and disease. His book also covers using fasting prior to cancer treatment to help kill off the cancerous cells. I thought it was a quick, easy and fascinating read.