doing low lectin/low AGE/ and 16:8 and keto ?? adivce??

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Torimintz
Contributor
Contributor

doing low lectin/low AGE/ and 16:8 and keto ?? adivce??

Post by Torimintz »

Hi I am almost 47 and I have had my 23and me and have the 4/4. --restaurants are a no go

I am a good weight ,and not diabetic, but have always had blood sugar issues. I quit gluten and rarely eat rice and oatmeal or corn. So almost grain free.

I do Intermittent Fasting now and try to only eat in a 5 to 8 hour window. I am confused about what is best... Keto, low AGE foods or low Lectin foods...

I am doing a combo of this as many foods are "bad" for all of the protocols. I love how my blood sugar/insulin/glycemic levels are now. I don't crash in the day, feel moody, sad, or have headaches.
MY IBS problems have been solved , and I did lose 12 pounds, So I am 21% bodyfat now... my skin looks great too now
(I am English/Irish ancestry mainly)

so I have had overall great results and love the chicken bone broth, my salads and eggs... occasional fish and chicken too. My cooking skills have improved and organic produce shopping skills too...

Restaurants are basically a no-go because to get the quality food, It ends up being 30 to 50 bucks... I will never eat crap food again and it is hard to trust eating out.

I have saved money since not eating out... grocery bill is larger, yet I only eat twice a day and at home... I am never hungry and don't have to restric myself since my cravings are gone... cool surprise not to have to struggle... I now WANT the good foods.

But... it is confusing to decide which fruits and veggies to say no to.... glycemic level, AGE foods, and Lectin levels all considered

Advice please
genie
Contributor
Contributor

Re: doing low lectin/low AGE/ and 16:8 and keto ?? adivce??

Post by genie »

Hi T: Congratulations! It sounds like you're doing all the right things given your excellent results! That's wonderful.

As a fellow 4/4 with blood sugar issues (type 2 diabetes that I reversed with time-restricted feeding (OMAD), low carb healthy fat diet and exercise, no meds), I found Dr. Steven Gundry's "Matrix Protocol" very helpful in figuring out which foods to eat freely vs. which ones to restrict to one serving or totally eliminate from my diet. There is no one-size-fits-all protocol, but this list has helped me a lot in testing which foods seem to cause inflammation in my body (seen in my case as osteoarthritis in the fingers). The Plant Paradox Cookbook and GundryMD YouTube videos and recipes have also been a great resource for me.

The Matrix Diet Protocol has been posted in other threads, but since you're new here it's probably easier to just attach it here. I hope it helps you, too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Torimintz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Torimintz »

I have Gundry's , Plant Paradox . ... also, The new Grain Brain , by Perlmutter, and have read Wheat Belly and Info by Dr. Fung about Intermittent Fasting. I hear that Gundry is coming out with a new book in March.
That's great about reversing type 2. I have also had success with my numbness from occasional Raynaud.s, and sitff and soreness.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Hi Torimintz and welcome to the group from another 4/4 member a couple decades older than you!

I'm so impressed how much progress you've made changing your lifestyle and improving your health since learning your ApoE4 status. At your young age with your determination to research and incorporate healthful behaviors, you have a wonderful opportunity to make a real difference in your health outlook in the years ahead. As genie mentioned in an earlier post, there is so one-size-fits-all protocol, because we're all unique and don't necessarily respond to interventions in the same exact ways. That being said, as ApoE4 carriers we do have much in common and there certainly are key areas that we focus on and prioritize optimizing such as sleep, exercise, stress management, diet, glucose/insulin control, and so on. To help determine how successful our interventions are - whether we're following Dr Gundry, Dr. Bredesen, or others - many of us rely on frequent lab testing of important biomarkers for feedback and also by paying close attention to how we are actually feeling, which I think is so important to not lose sight of. The improvements you've noticed in your Raynaud's symptoms as well as your stiffness and soreness must be so encouraging!

To help guide you along the way, we highly recommend our site Primer written by Stavia, a practicing physician and also a member of the 4/4 club. It's a wonderful resource about our gene complete with prioritized lifestyle strategies discussed in detail to help us maintain health over the long haul. Additionally, you may want to check our our site Wiki for more in-depth discussions on topics of interest to the group. The Wiki How-To-Guide offers tips on navigating our site more easily and effectively. And of course our search function (the magnifying glass along the upper right of this page) is an easy way to find topics of interest to you in our forums.

Torimintz, please don't hesitate to share how you're doing along the way and ask questions as they come up. This is a welcoming community with a shared focus and purpose and we continue to learn so much from one another. Once again, welcome!
warmly, Lucy
srbogert
Contributor
Contributor

Post by srbogert »

Torimintz wrote:Hi I am almost 47 and I have had my 23and me and have the 4/4. -- I love how my blood sugar/insulin/glycemic levels are now. I don't crash in the day, feel moody, sad, or have headaches.
MY IBS problems have been solved , and I did lose 12 pounds, So I am 21% bodyfat now... my skin looks great too now
Hello Torimintz and welcome to the group. Congratulations on your progress and success in making healthy changes. Gundry and the other things you've been reading are all great resources. Since you are a new member of the group I'd like to suggest a couple more resources that I hope you find helpful. First is the ApoE4 Primer written by Stavia. She is a moderator of the group, a physician, and is 4/4 like you. The primer is a summary of current thinking on ApoE and what you can do about it. She does a good job of identifying the information that is considered "settled" and what is more controversial. While much of the content may be review for you, I believe that it will still be worth your while to scan through it to see her perspective, and you may find some new information as well. The other resource for you is the HOW TO guide. It will help you navigate the website, do efficient searches for information, and communicate with others through postings and direct messaging.

Again, Welcome to the group. We look forward to your participation.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach