Inconsistent Keto-Mojo Results-Discouraged!

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Inconsistent Keto-Mojo Results-Discouraged!

Post by TheresaB »

Another thought for why a person might think they're getting inconsistent ketone readings has to do with the body becoming accustomed to being in ketosis and it just isn't pumping out excess ketones anymore. The body likes to be efficient. From our wiki Ketosis and Ketogenic Diet in the discussion on blood meters,
Blood meters measure the ketone Beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB), which is the current buffer of ketone energy in blood; in other words the BHB is in storage ready for use. When the body’s store of BHB raises, this indicates that the body is purposefully making ketones for energy and that person is in ketosis, so a blood meter is a very good tool that produces consistent results and is easy to use. However it’s important to understand the limitations. ... especially after a person has been practicing a ketogenic diet for a while and the body becomes more efficient at using ketones, a zero or low value may indicate that the person is in ketosis but out of stores for BHB, or it could just mean that person is not in ketosis.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

I don't know if this matters as much on the ketone side, but I find for glucose testing that I need to wash my fingers well and rinse well to get off the soap, or my readings can be high.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

circular wrote:I'm not sure what I think about maintaining structured diets for the long haul. I don't think my ancestors ate at the same time every day and according to a plan...
Of course I'm certain my early ancestors didn't eat as many avocados or eggs as I do. ;)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

genie wrote:You could always do OMAD = One Meal A Day, which will keep you in nutritional ketosis all the while you're not eating. Your eating window could be 1-2 hrs to get enough calories for the rest of the day. It's like a Feast-Fast schedule that is easy to follow once you're keto adapted.
This would be hard. My aunt did it. Needs a lot of discipline and it is an ascetic lifestyle. I couldn't do it bc no matter how much I eat, I get hungry after 6 hrs.
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

thjj wrote:I couldn't do it bc no matter how much I eat, I get hungry after 6 hrs.
I don't like going off topic of irregular meter readings, but I notice you are new and I suspect you are not yet ketogenic and what you are experiencing is the body's demand for more glucose even though you don't really need to eat. When ketogenic, or at least metabolically flexible, which is just a fancy term for your body being a fuel hybrid that can easily switch from glucose to ketones for energy, a person tends to be less hungry and can go longer periods of time without eating. I've been mildly ketogenic for a few years now, do I get hungry? Sure, but not nearly as often and when I do, it's not that ravenous gotta eat or die feeling.

This of course assumes all other issues being equal. For example, I know someone who is battling cancer. Knowing that deep ketosis is an effective strategy in combating the cancer and enhances the effectiveness of traditional cancer treatments, this person transitioned to a ketogenic diet. However the stress and drugs boost his glucose despite also making ketones (there's supposed to be a reciprocal relationship: high ketones - low glucose, high glucose - low ketones) and he continues to deal struggle with hunger issues.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

TheresaB wrote:
thjj wrote:I couldn't do it bc no matter how much I eat, I get hungry after 6 hrs.
I don't like going off topic of irregular meter readings, but I notice you are new and I suspect you are not yet ketogenic and what you are experiencing is the body's demand for more glucose even though you don't really need to eat. When ketogenic, or at least metabolically flexible, which is just a fancy term for your body being a fuel hybrid that can easily switch from glucose to ketones for energy, a person tends to be less hungry and can go longer periods of time without eating. I've been mildly ketogenic for a few years now, do I get hungry? Sure, but not nearly as often and when I do, it's not that ravenous gotta eat or die feeling.

This of course assumes all other issues being equal. For example, I know someone who is battling cancer. Knowing that deep ketosis is an effective strategy in combating the cancer and enhances the effectiveness of traditional cancer treatments, this person transitioned to a ketogenic diet. However the stress and drugs boost his glucose despite also making ketones (there's supposed to be a reciprocal relationship: high ketones - low glucose, high glucose - low ketones) and he continues to deal struggle with hunger issues.
you are correct. Thanks Theresab--I am definitely not ketogenic yet--taking my time converting most carbs to fats in my kitchen! As for my aunt she doesn't even know what ketosis is; she was just doing it to control her weight (struggled in her later years with keeping weight off) & for religious (fundamentalist) reasons.
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none