Conflicting Test Results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
paul820
New User
New User

Conflicting Test Results

Post by paul820 »

Hi everyone, I recently did the 23andme and Ancestry DNA tests to find out about my background and genetic risk factors. When I opened my 23andme results, I was surprised to find out that I had one copy of the APOE4 gene. I dug into the raw data further and found out I'm an E3/E4 (SNP rs429358 = CT, SNP rs7412 = CC). However, my raw data from Ancestry seems to indicate that I'm an E3/E3 (SNP rs429358 = TT, SNP rs7412 = CC). Just to see if there were any other differences, I compared several other markers related to Alzheimers betwen the two data sets, yet those all matched.

Has anyone else experience a similar result? If so, did you request a re-test from either company? I paid over $100 extra to obtain the 23andme results, so I'm more inclined to believe that result. However, you'd think for a gene with such high stakes, there would be more consistency between different testing services.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Conflicting Test Results

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, Paul! You're not alone with a mismatched result. Ancestry.com doesn't provide APOE data and has historically used a used a 3/3 default. We discuss it in this thread and probably others. I'd be inclined to go with the 23andMe result although even that one isn't 100%.
dcox
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dcox »

paul820 wrote:Hi everyone, I recently did the 23andme and Ancestry DNA tests to find out about my background and genetic risk factors. When I opened my 23andme results, I was surprised to find out that I had one copy of the APOE4 gene. I dug into the raw data further and found out I'm an E3/E4 (SNP rs429358 = CT, SNP rs7412 = CC). However, my raw data from Ancestry seems to indicate that I'm an E3/E3 (SNP rs429358 = TT, SNP rs7412 = CC). Just to see if there were any other differences, I compared several other markers related to Alzheimers betwen the two data sets, yet those all matched.

Has anyone else experience a similar result? If so, did you request a re-test from either company? I paid over $100 extra to obtain the 23andme results, so I'm more inclined to believe that result. However, you'd think for a gene with such high stakes, there would be more consistency between different testing services.
Welcome paul820!

Great advice from Julie G, although I couldn't get her link to work, so not sure if you had success with it. Here is another thread, it may be the same one she used, you may find answers to your questions about conflicting results there, unfortunately as Julie stated it is not an uncommon issue. Wouldn't it be great if we could trust them all 100% of the time! :)

I'm glad you found ApoE4.info, please take some time and explore the site. You will find this is a community of great people with a common goal to beat AD, dementia and cognitive decline, to offer advice, experiences, support and most of all hope for all who find themselves searching for answers.

If you are ready to dive into the site a little more these pages will give you great starting places and help you navigate the site easier: the Wiki Page, where you will find some more in depth topics; the Primer, written by Stavia one of our most active members and a Dr. and E4/E4 herself, this is an amazing place to start she truly put her heart into writing it; this page will help you learn how to use the site more efficiently "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website

We would love to hear more about you, please feel free to share your story in the Our Stories forum anytime. Also, ask questions and jump into the conversations that interest you, as you never know when your experience may help someone else.

Find your joy and hope in each new day and each new discovery along your path,
Deb
Deb
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Enrolled in Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches
Choose Hope
paul820
New User
New User

Post by paul820 »

Thanks for all the information! Before getting tested, I didn't know much about my genetic risk, since only one grandparent lived past their mid-70's (and thankfully did not get AD). I did suffer a concussion as a child, and I also have one copy each of the APOC1, TNF, and TOMM40 variants that contribute to increased AD risk. I'm sure those factors make being an E4 carrier even worse, but at least it's a good way to remain aware of the environmental factors that can be controlled.
Its Me
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Its Me »

Julie G wrote:Welcome, Paul! You're not alone with a mismatched result. Ancestry.com doesn't provide APOE data and has historically used a used a 3/3 default. We discuss it in this thread and probably others. I'd be inclined to go with the 23andMe result although even that one isn't 100%.
Thread link does not work.

Curious if Ancestory's raw data file differs than default 3/3. I've ordered, it has twice the snps covered above 23andme so will be interested when I compare the two. Both will be uploaded to Promethease for a compare.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Its Me wrote:Thread link does not work.
Hi "Its Me",
Here's the corrected link, which Deb (Dcox), one of our great health coach interns, linked to above. The forum software we use is "touchy" about the steps to linking to another post; one small mis-step and you're out of luck, as I've found myself. We'll be interested to hear how your comparison of Ancestry's raw data with 23 & me's show up on Promethease. Since each company is selecting only a small part our our enormous genome, some differences are likely to occur.

APOE mismatch Ancestry vs 23andMe
4/4 and still an optimist!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Fixed above! Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4785&hilit=ancestry.com Unless things have changed, Ancestry.com doesn't report APOE status.
Jlhughette
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jlhughette »

Julie G wrote:
Unless things have changed, Ancestry.com doesn't report APOE status.
Ancestry.com does seem to report ApoE 2/4 correctly. Both my father and sister’s were reported ApoE 2/4 on both Ancestry.com and 23andme.

Is it possible they just misstate 3/4 and 4/4? Seems random and strange if so.
Hughette
3/4