58 year old 3/4 fitness entusiast

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
kytexas
Contributor
Contributor

58 year old 3/4 fitness entusiast

Post by kytexas »

My story

I have been an fitness enthusiast, all my life. I have competed in ironmans, road races, marathons, ultra races (100milers) and, bodybuilding events.

My diet has been on both sides of the coin, for 15 years I was eating a low fat vegetarian diet and eating high fat low carb diet. The vegetarian diet was to enhance my endurance sports endeavors. Then I can transitioned and moved on to more of bodybuilding diet of high protein and high carb and low fat.

Around 1995 I switched over to a Paleo diet more of HFLC to support more of my strength workouts and aging, less inflamation.. So thats where I have been till I find out that I have Apoe4 gene, 3/4. THe results made me question if I was eating the correct diet for myself.

Now after a year of researching, (Primer and this site), books, articles, podcasts, I have switched to mostly plant diet with wild caught salmon and sardines, lots of olive oil, nuts and leafy greens with time restricted eating protocol. Along with quite a few supplements.

I have not yet shown any symptons of AD or CVD. I still weigh the same as high school but with much more muscle. But I do want to stay ahead of game.

I think my exercise routines for the last 40 years have been the most important part of my protocol. Its the one thing that has remained constant.

I still lift weights 5 days a week every morning before work and run/walk an hour after work. On the weekends the runs go much longer (2 hrs) depending on what I am trainng for but at least an hour.

My goal is to continue to research, open to change if need be. I am not married to any way of eating or living, I am all about optimization. I have expeirmented with lots of anti aging protocols some that have proved to be useless or maybe even bad.

Things I continue to research and look forward to more data on :
the perfect diet for my epigentics/NAD/MCT Oil/Metformin/peptides/sarcopeia/protein/alcohol consumption/

items I continue to monitor at this time
fasting insulin, blood lipids, glucose, Thyroid, B12 levels, ferritin levels, CRP, sex hormones, vitamin levels

Love this site!
Its Me
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 58 year old 3/4 fitness entusiast

Post by Its Me »

kytexas wrote: … the perfect diet …
Tex, you remind me of my friends over on the atrial fibrillation forum. People new to that keep looking for the triggers. And for most there really is nothing clear as to why they "got" this. A handful of things seem to make one at risk - and those in extreme sports seem to be, it stretches and expands the left atria, adding fibrosis of the heart where afib arises. So moderate exercise seems good, we have some real hiker and bikers enthusiasts, even running marathons, but smaller ones now. The people who live the longest are in countries where they always move around and walk everywhere. And eat well.

Life style I think is key to staying healthy. Genes are only a risk and this can be influenced by so many things.

I am also 3/4, female, age 71.5. Doing just fine. There is no perfect diet, I think. I keep reading the best diet, not a fad, is the Mediterranean diet and it sounds like you have headed that way. I posted my take on diet on the thread "81 and still sane". Cholesterol is linked with dementia, heart disease, etc. so keep that under control (and don't mix niacin with statins per https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Niaci ... fessional/ )
kytexas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kytexas »

Thank you
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

kytexas wrote:Things I continue to research and look forward to more data on :
the perfect diet for my epigentics/NAD/MCT Oil/Metformin/peptides/sarcopeia/protein/alcohol consumption/
I'm 67 years old and also exercise regularly. I am not diabetic, but I started taking metformin last February after listening to several discussions of its anti-aging benefits on Peter Attia's podcast episodes.

Peter sent an email today referencing a New York Times article, The article says metformin blunts the health benefits of exercise in healthy older adults. Metformin diminishes improvements in skeletal muscle mitochondrial respiration, cardiorespiratory fitness, and whole-body insulin sensitivity after aerobic exercise training.

The mechanism of this blunting is likely because metformin is anti-inflammatory, and reduces reactive oxygen species (ROS) and oxidative stress. Those are good things if you have a chronic condition like T2D, but they are bad for acute episodes of stress such as follow exercise since inflammation and ROS signalling appear to trigger the hormetic response that builds muscle and cardiorespiratory fitness.

Peter is trying to sort this out and has, in the meantime, reduced his metformin dose to one a day in the evening to distance it from his exercise sessions. Since I'm older than Peter, and growing and preserving muscle mass is more difficult at my age, I am probably going to discontinue use altogether, although I may do it in two steps with evening-only use for a couple of weeks.