Should I stop supplementing with b12?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Alexis
Contributor
Contributor

Should I stop supplementing with b12?

Post by Alexis »

Hello

My last bit of blood work showed my active B12 to be quite high and outside the normal range.

I stopped supplementing with b12, but am now wondering whether I should have — especially given the importantance Bredesen puts on the vitamin. Perhaps being outside the normal range is a good thing?

Any wisdom would be gratefully received.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Should I stop supplementing with b12?

Post by Julie G »

Cognitive decline is associated with low "normal" B12. You can read more here. Dr. Bredesen's recommended levels are optimized to be neuroprotective.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Alexis;

US units for Vit B12 are in pg/mL. A conversion program I found showed 218 pmol/L is equivalent to 295.32 pg/mL. One national US lab company (Lapcorp) has a "normal" range of 232 - 1245 pg/mL. This is very different from the normal range shown in your attachment.

Would someone else check my "math"?
Slacker
E4/E4
Its Me
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Its Me »

Alexis wrote:My last bit of blood work showed my active B12 to be quite high .,, Any wisdom would be gratefully received.
FWTW fact sheet - https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vitam ... fessional/
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Alexis wrote:Hello
My last bit of blood work showed my active B12 to be quite high and outside the normal range.
Hi Alexis,

I noticed that you mentioned the NHS on a previous post, so thought I'd check with what UK recommended levels are currently. This is from 2018 guidance in Hull and Yorkshire, but does suggest what Slacker said: that you lab chart seems off, not your current level.
The normal ranges for B12 and folate levels based on the above methodology are:B12 (115 to 1000 pmol/L) (B12 levels just within the normal range can lead to symptoms so results 115-150 should be assessed on an individual basis)
Guidelines for the Investigation and Management of Vitamin B12 and Folate Deficiency
4/4 and still an optimist!
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

I just returned from an appt with Mitsu, Dr Gundry's PA. My blood levels for B12 (taking 1000 mcg daily) is 1376 pg/ml by Veridia labs which is at the top for normal on Veridia's standards. Mitsu increased my intake to 5000 mcg's daily. Seemed high considering. And yes I am heterozygous genotype for MTHFR C677T and A1298C and 4/4. She also Doubled my intake of TMG to 1000 mg's daily but left folate at 1000 mcg daily.
This was my initial appt with Gundry's office. I will follow up this visit in 6 months and see Dr Gundry in August.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Did you stop taking B12 supplements 2-3 days before your lab test?

B12 will circulate in your body before your body gets rid of it. Keep taking B12 (except before a test) as there are no drawbacks, only advantages. Your body will naturally get rid of what you don't use.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Alexis
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alexis »

slacker wrote:Alexis;

US units for Vit B12 are in pg/mL. A conversion program I found showed 218 pmol/L is equivalent to 295.32 pg/mL. One national US lab company (Lapcorp) has a "normal" range of 232 - 1245 pg/mL. This is very different from the normal range shown in your attachment.

Would someone else check my "math"?
Thanks!

I used a private company called Medichecks. It’s bizarre that what they stipulate as the normal b12 range should be so conservative — looks like I’ve got relatively low levels (at least in the US! :) )
Alexis
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alexis »

NF52 wrote:
Alexis wrote:Hello
Hi Alexis,

I noticed that you mentioned the NHS on a previous post, so thought I'd check with what UK recommended levels are currently. This is from 2018 guidance in Hull and Yorkshire, but does suggest what Slacker said: that you lab chart seems off, not your current level.
The normal ranges for B12 and folate levels based on the above methodology are:B12 (115 to 1000 pmol/L) (B12 levels just within the normal range can lead to symptoms so results 115-150 should be assessed on an individual basis)
Guidelines for the Investigation and Management of Vitamin B12 and Folate Deficiency

Thank you!

By the that metric, my levels are definitely not high. I think I’ll contact the lab test provider!
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Plumster, I did not stop B12. They did recommend I stop another vitamin which I wasn't taking at the time.