AD Prevention Trials Online Memory Tests

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

AD Prevention Trials Online Memory Tests

Post by NF52 »

The Alzheimer's Prevention Institute (API) a consortium led by the Banner Institute of Arizona, has started a free online clinical study of memory and thinking skills of people 50 and older. Alzheimer Prevention Trials (APT) Webstudy - Online

Below is an overview of the study. It appears that signing up to take memory and thinking tests every 3 months does not obligate you to participate in any future enhanced memory assessment or clinical trials. (The consent form listed would cover that.) For those who enjoy online brain training and testing, this is another way to see some tools researchers use for cognitive testing, check out your own scores over time and, if interested, have access to a comprehensive assessment with imaging, if offered.

Full disclosure: The API is also the parent organization of the Generation I and II Studies for people with one or two copies of ApoE 4. I am in Generations I--but get no "finder's fee" for encouraging others to sign up for other initiatives like this one!!
What is Involved:
...visiting the website: http://www.aptwebstudy.org

You will also be asked to review a consent form found on your online portal. Once you agree to participate, you will be asked to complete some brief questions about your life and medical history. This should take about 3 minutes to complete. Up next, you will be asked to complete computerized tests of your current memory and thinking abilities. These computerized tests will take about 20 minutes to complete.

Once you have completed these steps, this will be your first “visit” as a part of the APT Webstudy!

You will receive occasional reminder messages from the APT Webstudy, asking you to update your profile and to return for quarterly visits to retake the memory and thinking tests. These quarterly visits should take about 15 minutes to complete.

If we notice changes in your memory performance that show a possible increased risk for developing Alzheimer’s, you may be invited to visit a research clinic in your area that has partnered with the APT Webstudy to have additional testing performed.

The purpose of the Alzheimer Prevention Trials Webstudy (APT Webstudy) is to accelerate the enrollment for Alzheimer’s clinical trials by identifying and tracking individuals who may be at higher risk for developing Alzheimer’s.
The ultimate goal of the webstudy is to develop a large standing, online group of individuals who will allow their memory and thinking test scores to be tracked over time.
Background: the National Institute on Aging has a new focus on identifying people who may be able and willing to participate in trials prior to the trial recruitment period, to speed up the process of getting study data complete and shared with other researchers. The NIA reported in Octoober 2018 that 270,000 people will be needed for over 200 clinical trial programs guidelines Together We Make the Difference! Participate in Alzheimer's and Related Dementias Clinical Research
4/4 and still an optimist!
cflegal
Contributor
Contributor

Re: AD Prevention Trials Online Memory Tests

Post by cflegal »

I saw on the Banner website:
By joining the APT Webstudy, you will be given the scores of your memory tests, and you will be able to see any changes to your scores over time. You will also have access to Alzheimer's disease news and research updates explaining the latest findings and what they mean to you. Your information will always remain safe and private.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

cflegal wrote:I saw on the Banner website:
By joining the APT Webstudy, you will be given the scores of your memory tests, and you will be able to see any changes to your scores over time. You will also have access to Alzheimer's disease news and research updates explaining the latest findings and what they mean to you. Your information will always remain safe and private.
Welcome, cflegal!

Thank you for pointing out that important benefit of this study, in that participants can see their scores over time, and have access to both the latest research and invitation to possibly expanded testing to verify if changes in scores on one area are also seen in other areas. (I like to point out to people that since I never could draw better than the average 7 year old, I don't suddenly expect to become the artist Grandma Moses on tests of my drawing ability!)

I saw on your other post that you have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, presumably early-stage. You earn my deep respect and thanks for sharing that, as the diagnosis carries an undeserved stigma that keeps many people from being assessed, and sharing with their friends, family and co-workers if they receive a diagnosis of either MCI (mild cognitive impairment), Alzheimer's or one of the other dementias. It's long past time that we recognize that we give people with the AD diagnosis the same respect, support and expectation for a continued meaningful, purposeful life that people with cancer, or Parkinson's disease (another neurodegenerative disease) or mental health issues can expect.

Since you found the API website, I assume you have access to information on clinical trials recruiting people with early-stage, or mild-moderate AD, if those are of interest to you. And given your user name, I am guessing that you might have a well-trained legal mind with tons of cognitive reserve that will serve you well in both resistance and resilience to this disease.
Emily C
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Emily C »

Thank you NF52 from the Support Team for letting us know about this study. Seeing your message prompted me to sign up. I took the memory tests and found the exercises to actually be pleasant - it required focus but not in a stressful way. They are pretty short, another plus. I liked getting a score that will serve as a baseline for future tests. I sent the link to the study to friends and family as well - as we get older, it seems nice to know this kind of information.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

efcole wrote:Thank you NF52 from the Support Team for letting us know about this study. Seeing your message prompted me to sign up. I took the memory tests and found the exercises to actually be pleasant - it required focus but not in a stressful way...I sent the link to the study to friends and family as well - as we get older, it seems nice to know this kind of information.
Hi efcole,
I’m so glad the info was helpful. Thank you for not only signing up, but for sharing what the process is like. Like you, I plan to share the link with family and friends. I hope you will share updates as you proceed.
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Berri »

cflegal wrote:I saw on the Banner website:
Here is the latest issue of Alzheimer’s Research Today: The APT Webstudy Quarterly Review (Don’t forget to log-in and complete your memory assessments every 3 months!)

Two New Prevention Studies are Launching Soon.
Other new developments include the launch of two AD prevention studies. The first study, the A3 Study, aims to get closer to the goal of primary prevention of AD by preventing amyloid build-up in the brain. A3 will enroll cognitively normal individuals who have only slight amyloid elevation but who are at high risk for further amyloid plaque buildup. The A3 Study will compare the effects of elenbecestat (a drug that blocks the production of beta-amyloid) versus placebo, to test whether it can slow brain amyloid buildup at this very early stage of disease.

The second study, the A45 Study, will also target the pre-symptomatic stage of AD. A45 will enroll clinically normal participants (with no or only minor cognitive impairment) who have elevated levels of amyloid in the brain and are at high risk for progression to mild cognitive impairment and AD dementia. The A45 Study will use both a drug called BAN2401 (an anti-beta-amyloid antibody) to remove beta-amyloid from the brain, and a drug that blocks production of beta-amyloid (elenbecestat). In this combination trial, participants will be provided first with BAN2401 with the goal of clearing amyloid deposits from the brain. Then they will be maintained on elenbecestat with the aim of decreasing the production of beta-amyloid and preventing the re-accumulation of amyloid plaques.

Other News from the Field
• New Markers for Alzheimer’s disease Could aid Diagnosis and Speed up Drug Development (NPR, 07/04/2019)
• Is Targeting Brain Inflammation the Key to Beating Alzheimer's disease? (NBC News, 07/19/2019)
• Analysis Reveals Economic Cost of Alzheimer’s disease and Dementia are “Tip of the Iceberg” (Science Daily, 07/30/2019)

We are making great strides towards developing new treatments to stop Alzheimer's disease, or at least delay it, but more volunteers are needed to make it happen. Please tell friends and family members about the APT Webstudy; there is no cost, it's easy and can be done from the comfort of their own home.

-The APT Webstudy Team
http://www.aptwebstudy.org

Visit our website for the latest news about the APT Webstudy.