Peter Attia podcast - Advancing Alzheimers disease treatment

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Peter Attia podcast - Advancing Alzheimers disease treatment

Post by Ski »

Interesting podcast with Professor of Neuroscience and Pharmacology & Toxicology.

Methylene Blue coming up again as a treatment.
A bold statement by him stating that "Amyloid Plaques are not causally related to late-onset Alzheimers at all" .

https://peterattiamd.com/franciscogonzalezlima/
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Peter Attia podcast - Advancing Alzheimers disease treatment

Post by SoCalGuy »

I listened to it once this morning and will surely listen many more times. I was interested to see the vascular component discussed. I don't have anything to add at this time but am interested in following along with the discussion on the forum. Thanks for posting and getting the conversation started!
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

One easy thing to track is blood pressure. According to Dr Gonzalez-Lima being below 120/80 seems beneficial as higher blood pressure seems to damage the endothelial walls.
cardiolvr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cardiolvr »

If I heard it all well, there was no mention of APOE4 in this podcast. Usually APOE4 is blamed to cause AD because of inefficient way to clear Amyloid. Would have been interested to see how this researcher fit APOE4 into his vascular/metabolic hypothesis for AD.
APOE 4/4 and hopeful.

diet -> IF 18/6 daily | ketoish 45/45/10 | week fast 4x/year | low carb 40/40/20 | min sat fats.
excercise -> 240 min/weekly +150bpm, strength training
McGido
Contributor
Contributor

Post by McGido »

Gonzalez seems like he's onto something. It's crazy at the start of the podcast how they remind us how little progress we've made in Alzheimers treatment but I can't help but feel that is about to change over the next decade. Really exciting to see practitioners looking at this disease in a different way

Has anyone read "Alzheimer’s Turning Point: A Vascular Approach to Clinical Prevention" that was recommended in the podcast? Interested in picking that up.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

I looked it up McGido, and it is pricey - $60 for Kindle. This idea makes sense to me. Diabetes raises the risk of AD. One of the likely results of long term diabetes is small blood vessel damage. What makes up most of the Blood Brain Barrier? The endothelial walls of blood vessels in the brain. Once it starts to leak, then you have more AB as it tries to clear the garbage coming in.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
McGido
Contributor
Contributor

Post by McGido »

mike wrote:I looked it up McGido, and it is pricey - $60 for Kindle.
Saw that, but might be worth the price, can't find any reviews but might take the plunge after I'm done with the current book i'm reading.

Couple other things..

- Gonzalez also mentioned infrared light therapy for mitochondrial restoration , does anyone currently use RLT or experimented with it in the past?

- Seems like he's supportive of the Keto diet as a means to prevention. Had a chuckle at Attia's comment when they were discussing it "so the original bulletproof coffee is actually mother's breast milk" :lol: Was interesting hearing Gonzalez say ketones are the primary energy source in infancy.
Larsmars11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Larsmars11 »

just bought Alzheimers Turning Point on Amazon for $37 plus shipping. can't believe Attia never asked G-L about Bredesen's theory on amyloid and the ReCODE Protocol. one them is wrong, and I would love to see a debate between them. they differ completely on beta-amyloid and probabilities of copies of E4 causing AD, altho they agree on a ketogenic diet and exercise. but if G-L is right that genetics only cause 10% of AD, we have a lot of people terrified probably needlessly. does anybody know what Bredesen thinks of the vascular theory of AD and why he doesn't agree ? if G-L is right , I guess we should all b learning how to get methylene blue into our bodies. and I wish Attia had asked G-L about vitamins , minerals and hormones. L.
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

Gonzalez-Lima also seems to be cautiously optimistic about using exogenous ketones to help provide energy to the brain as glucose uptake becomes compromised. I'd really like to learn more about this and it sounds like it's an area where he will continue to do research.
JimBG
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by JimBG »

Very interesting podcast. G-L's view is that AD is primarily a metabolic disorder of the brain. An energy deficit involving the mitochondria caused by insufficient blood flow resulting in cell death. Amyloid beta plaques are by-products of this process and are not causative, which is why all the drug trials targeting them have failed. Hence all things improving cardio-vascular health will help inhibit the progression of AD. He also noted that this view also accounts for why environmental insults to the mitochondria via toxins as well as head trauma also predispose one to AD. He cites numerous studies and experiments to support his view. Also interesting and very unfortunate is that pharmaceutical grade methylene blue in low doses, which is a way to "energize" mitochondria, is a very old drug, pre-FDA, hence there is no money in it for pharma to finance the needed trials to prove its efficacy. Perhaps the NIH or some wealthy person or group will be so inclined if this view gets enough traction. The ketogenic diet and perhaps even the use of exogenous ketones are another way to combat the energy deficit. It all makes a lot of sense, but I'm sure there are opposing views as well.