Breastfeeding

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Christy
Contributor
Contributor

Breastfeeding

Post by Christy »

Hi! I am a 3/4 and 38 years old. My Dad currently lives with us and has stage 5 dementia. I am very green and just finishing up reading “The End of Alzheimer’s”. I have a 4 year old and 1 year old and am still Breastfeeding, we plan to try for one more little one in about a year. I wonder if anyone has implemented/done research on the implementation of these supplements, etc while breastfeeding or pregnant? I also know that my lab work may be off because I am still nursing. I plan to begin adjusting my diet but don’t want to cut out things that are important for my nursling and potentially the new baby if we do become pregnant down the line. I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions as to where to start in my journey.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Breastfeeding

Post by TheresaB »

We have one thread that talked about breastfeeding Question! Breastfeeding moms and babies... which you may want to read, but I don't recall that it addressed the subject of supplements while breastfeeding. That's a good question. I hope we have folks here with some good answers for you.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hi Christy! I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I admire your willingness to try to help him and to be proactive yourself. That said, I'm unsure that the supplements Dr. Bredesen talks about in his protocol are appropriate for prevention in a young person. IMHO, the best thing you can do now to protect yourself from dementia is to avoid insulin resistance, eat a healthy whole food diet with plenty of DHA (so good for your babies while pregnant & nursing!) and as little sugar and refined carbohydrates as possible, exercise, try to reduce stress, optimize sleep and keep your brain engaged. Stay social, keep learning, and enjoy life. -xo
JudyH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JudyH »

Honestly Christy - you are young and healthy. Enjoy life and your beautiful children. Eat healthy as a family and worry about AD and prevention in a few years after your kids are in middle school or beyond. I thought JulieG's recommendations were spot on. This is not the time of your life to worry about this but just to work on health eating and activities as a family.
e3/e4
No family history of AD, they drop dead of heart attacks in their early 40's!
Celiac and Hashimotos
Christy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Christy »

Thank you each so very much, I appreciate your support and advice. I will and am in the process of striving towards your recommendations. ❤️