Curcumin and Turmeric Explained

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
cflegal
Contributor
Contributor

Curcumin and Turmeric Explained

Post by cflegal »

Curcumin and Turmeric and Curry.
Curcumin in a nanoparticulate formulation labeled Theracurmin has been demonstrated to remove amyloid and tau plaque in a UCLA RCT (randomly controlled trial).
That is a very BIG deal so it is important to first get our terminology correct. Turmeric is a root known for centuries throughout Asia for health benefits. It is used in preparing curry. Curcuminoids are minor components of Turmeric. One of the curcurminoids is curcumin. Curcumin by itself has been extensively studied for many health benefits. It is well known that different preparations of curcumin have different bioavailability and have different effects. A decent summary can be found at: https://www.superfoodly.com/best-turmer ... upplement/.
In the interests of this forum see UCLA comments on Apoe4 at https://alzheimer.neurology.ucla.edu/Curcumin.html.
A recently completed UCLA trial is the most significant. The trial was headed by Dr. Gary W. Small, et al, "Memory and Brain Amyloid and Tau Effects of a Bioavailable Form of Curcumin in Non-Demented Adults: A Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled 18 Month Trial," (UCLA), Am. J. of Geriatric Psychology, https://doi.org/10.1016/japg.2017.10.010 (see also Forbes, Jan 23, 2018). UCLA used: “the commercially available curcumin supplement Theracurmin: six capsules, containing 30 mg of curcumin each, per day (180 mg total curcumin/day) for 18 months.” "Exactly how curcumin exerts its effects is not certain, but it may be due to its ability to reduce brain inflammation, which has been linked to both Alzheimer's disease and major depression," said Dr. Small. An initial clue that has steered researchers towards curcumin spice is the lower prevalence of Alzheimer’s disease in India. Compared to the United States, the rate of people age 70-79 with Alzheimer’s in India was 4.4 times less. Dr. Dale Bredesen also recommends curcumin to control inflammation without specifying nanoparticulate formulations.
Possible mechanisms of action in which curcumin modifies AD pathology include:
- inhibits the formation and promotes the disaggregation of amyloid-β plaques
-attenuates the hyperphosphorylation of tau and enhances its clearance,
-binds copper,
-lowers cholesterol,
-modifies microglial activity,
-inhibits acetylcholinesterase,
-mediates the insulin signaling pathway,
-and is an antioxidant
(The Mechanisms of Action of Curcumin in Alzheimer's Disease, Tang M1, Taghibiglou C1., J Alzheimers Disease, 58(4), p1003-1016, 2017) .
Curcuminoids have been approved by USDA as “Generally Recognized as Safe” (GRAS). Good tolerability and safety profiles have been shown by clinical trials, even at doses between 4,000 and 8,000 mg/day. The Joint United Nations World Health Organization and the European Food Safety Authority report the Allowable Daily Intake (ADI) as 0-3 mg/kg.
Like Dr. Small’s study (above), “bioavailability” is a key parameter distinguishing various commercial sources of curcumin. Dr. Small demonstrated Theracurmin (Theravalues, Tokyo Japan), to be the most bioavailable form of curcumin for the brain. He compared it to Meriva by Indena (Italian Corp). Both formulations, and others, utilize nanometer sized particles of curumin (not tumeric) encased in lipid particles.
Longvida, is a patented nanoparticle formulation by other researchers at University of California Los Angeles which has been used in numerous studies. Longvida is currently in a RCT conducted by UCLA and the U.S. Veterans Affairs (NIH CLINICAL TRIALS.GOV NCT01811281).
sealypealy
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Curcumin and Turmeric Explained

Post by sealypealy »

Excellent information- I take it daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jafa
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jafa »

Yes great info. Thankyou cflegal. I also take it daily, but not enough. My natural factors double strength Theracurmin Just has 60mg so may double it. With my poor sleep I’m hoping the Theracumin and Ashwaghanda can bust some of the amyloid. I’m also starting cognitive behavioural therapy at a sleep clinic shortly, which might help.
sealypealy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sealypealy »

Jafa wrote:Yes great info. Thankyou cflegal. I also take it daily, but not enough. My natural factors double strength Theracurmin Just has 60mg so may double it. With my poor sleep I’m hoping the Theracumin and Ashwaghanda can bust some of the amyloid. I’m also starting cognitive behavioural therapy at a sleep clinic shortly, which might help.

I suffered from sleep apnea for 10 years before I got a sleep study and got on a CPAP. I won’t even take a nap without it now. I had no idea how disturbed my sleep was and how much it was impacting my brain, which is really scary. I hope I can repair some of that damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Just a note for those who are COMT met, met: Curcumin is a methyldonor. You may or may not be able to tolerate it in supplement form. Tread with caution.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
tinamalone
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tinamalone »

Plumster wrote:Just a note for those who are COMT met, met: Curcumin is a methyldonor. You may or may not be able to tolerate it in supplement form. Tread with caution.
Thanks for that info Plumster! I am COMT met/met. So far I haven't had an issue. I am using Thorne's Meriva. Have you tolerated it well?
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Have you tolerated it well?
Hi tinamalone,

Great that you don't get a stomach ache the way I did with curcumin capsules. The best way to think of it is that we with COMT++ can use a limited number of methyldonors at a time without it affecting our COMT. Too many, and we'll have problems. Turmeric, methyl B12, methylfolate, cocoa, caffeine, coq10, TMG, melatonin are all methyldonors. For a little while, I was doing a shot glass a day of turmeric spice mixed in water, but I stopped after reading the article below (mostly about MAO) because I wanted to be extra careful, not because I noticed anything different. Now I just try to cook with turmeric once in a while instead. But if you can tolerate it and your labs continue to be normal, good for you! I'm slightly envious of COMT- - :)

https://www.hormonesmatter.com/turmeric ... time-bomb/
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
cflegal
Contributor
Contributor

UCLA people

Post by cflegal »

UCLA is a big place with lots of people. Dale Bredesen was one of them who suggested curcumin use. It is not helpful to talk about UCLA generically or about "curcumin." We now have lots of information on curcumin products and it is best if they are referred to specifically rather than generically. Especially interesting now are "nanoparticulate" formulations sometimes referred to by other names such as "lipidated."