Hi! I'm new, and have ApoE questions

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
ann9787
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hi! I'm new, and have ApoE questions

Post by ann9787 »

Thank you for this. I did read that abstract and I also saw something here as well in a different thread - "Here's some possible good news:
The original 2004 study that suggested an increased risk was done with only 148 people, all of whom came from a referral center for AD in Calabria, Italy. We don't know if those 148 people happen to be all DNA relatives or otherwise had common environmental or lifestyle risk factors. Finding that people who have Alzheimer's carry a particular SNP is much less conclusive proof of its risk association than a population-wide genomic analysis.".

I just wonder why sites include this snp when it is based on a single study of just 148 people. It is very scary to see such a thing. I do feel a greater sense of assurance and appreciate the help here. Thank you for your time.
srbogert
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hi! I'm new, and have ApoE questions

Post by srbogert »

ann9787 wrote:Thank you for replying to my question. I was finally able to figure it out after a lot more reading and it turns out that I am e3/e3 which is neutral but I have the rs669 (g,g) which is not so good. Thanks again,
Hello ann9787, Welcome to the group. I'm glad that others here were able to give you some help with the rs699 gene. This appears to be another one of those areas where the research is ongoing. Even though you are 3/3 and relatively low risk, I'll suggest that its still a good idea to pay attention to the health and lifestyle strategies described in the Primer. These strategies tend to be good for all kinds of health (cardio, detox, etc) not just cognitive decline. Best Wishes..
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach