Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
smuller
New User
New User

Post by smuller »

I am so grateful to have learned about this community of people who have the APOE4 allele. I was tested at age 50 - 14 years ago in a clinical trial and it changed my life in a positive way. I vowed not to put things off that I loved to do. My mother had Alzheimers at age 65 and she had put off so many dreams until my father retired, but it was too late. It was helpful to know that I have the genetic predisposition so that I could make changes in my life. So far so good. I am a nutritionist and was reminded by an on line conference to follow the anti inflammatory diet - which I usually do except when I eat the cakes I love to bake... But, I have been taking a turmeric capsule since I received my results 14 years ago. A physician in training said: "Start taking turmeric now" and I did. Who knows if it has helped. I am great and now my focus is on reducing stress and that is a challenge in our world today.
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Member

Post by CoachMT »

Welcome to the ApoE4.info community smuller! It’s great to have you join the community and hear how learning your ApoE4 status has empowered you to make lifestyle choices that have positively impacted your life for the past 14 years- what an inspiration! You definitely sound like you take the axiom “knowledge is power” to heart and have incorporated the preventative measures you learned into your diet and lifestyle. If you haven’t seen it already, the primer is a great place to learn about the resources available on the ApoE4.info site that you may want to incorporate into your own learning journey. Additionally, you may also be interested in checking out Our Stories forum to learn about community members embarking on this journey, too. Feel free to keep us posted on how you are doing and don't be afraid to ask when you have questions!
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Member

Post by Magda »

smuller wrote:I am so grateful to have learned about this community of people who have the APOE4 allele. I was tested at age 50 - 14 years ago in a clinical trial and it changed my life in a positive way. I vowed not to put things off that I loved to do. My mother had Alzheimers at age 65 and she had put off so many dreams until my father retired, but it was too late. It was helpful to know that I have the genetic predisposition so that I could make changes in my life. So far so good. I am a nutritionist and was reminded by an on line conference to follow the anti inflammatory diet - which I usually do except when I eat the cakes I love to bake... But, I have been taking a turmeric capsule since I received my results 14 years ago. A physician in training said: "Start taking turmeric now" and I did. Who knows if it has helped. I am great and now my focus is on reducing stress and that is a challenge in our world today.
Welcome to apoe4.info Smuller!

Thank you for sharing your story with us! I love your positive and proactive attitude!
As a nutritionist, you are more than well aware how crucial is what we eat to our overall health.
Importance increases even more when we have a specific health goal to achieve.

It sounds like you are already following anti-inflammatory diet, which is great!
If you are looking to learn what kinds of dietary approaches our members follow, I invite you to read Dr. Bredesen’s book “The end of Alzheimer’s”. You can also find a summary of this book in out Wiki page:
https://www.soler7.com/IFAQ/TheEndOfAlzheimers.html
The PRIMER is a great please to learn more about dietary tips and strategies. In general the entire forum is filled with great information on food and dietary factors related to prevention and reversal of cognitive decline. You can search the forum by clicking on three squares next to your name or simply go to this link to learn "how to get the most of the forum".
https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/%22How-To% ... fo_website

We have also discussed turmeric supplementation in several threats. Here is one of them:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5828&p=64177&hilit=turmeric#p64177

I am glad to hear that you are working on lowering your stress load. You are absolute right, that this task is not easy especially nowadays witch so many factors around us influencing and disturbing our bodies homeostasis. If you need some inspirations and tips, I invite you to take a look at this link: https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Stress

We are glad to have you here! Please do not hesitate to post if questions arise. We are here to help and support!

My best,
Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline