Sweets

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Sweets

Post by Richard McG »

52 years of age, 4/4, BMI ~19, Omad, No cognitive decline as of yet ;)
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Here's a pretty good recipe found on Dr. Fuhrman's site. He's got several others:

FIVE MINUTE CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
INGREDIENTS:
2 large bananas, frozen (see note)
2 tablespoons soy, hemp or almond milk
2 regular dates or 1 medjool date, pitted
1-2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract or pure vanilla bean powder
INSTRUCTIONS:
Add non-dairy milk, dates, cocoa powder and vanilla to a high-powered blender and start to blend. Drop frozen banana pieces in slowly. Add additional non-dairy milk if needed to reach desired consistency.
Note: Freeze ripe bananas at least 8 hours in advance. Peel bananas and seal in a plastic bag before freezing.
Calories 175; Protein 3 g; Carbohydrates 43 g; Sugars 26 g; Total Fat 1.1 g; Saturated Fat 0.4 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 10 mg; Fiber 5.3 g; Beta-Carotene 46 ug; Vitamin C 12 mg; Calcium 22 mg; Iron 0.9 mg; Folate 33 ug; Magnesium 61 mg; Potassium 633 mg; Zinc 0.5 mg; Selenium 2.5 ug
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
WifeOfJoel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by WifeOfJoel »

thjj wrote:Dr. Gundry wrote that soy contains lectins, fyi..
I believe it's made from coconut; here are the ingredients from mint chip flavor:
ORGANIC COCONUTMILK (FILTERED WATER, ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM), CHOCOLATE FLAKE [ORGANIC COCONUT OIL, COCOA, CHICORY ROOT EXTRACT, ERYTHRITOL, CHOCOLATE LIQUOR, NATURAL FLAVOR, STEVIA LEAF EXTRACT), CHICORY ROOT EXTRACT, ACACIA GUM, ERYTHRITOL, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, PEA PROTEIN, GUAR GUM, SEA SALT, LOCUST BEAN GUM, MONK FRUIT EXTRACT, NATURAL FLAVOR.

physician scientist
Me: APOε3/3, MTHFR (C677T) homozygote
Partner: APOε4/4
Mother: APOε3/4
tesslo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tesslo »

I have been on a combined Gundry/Protocol for a couple of years and I have had good results with my eye doctor raving about the health of the vessels in my eyes but this last holiday season I went off the deep end with Quest cookies and bars....It looks like I gained a lot of weight afraid to weigh myself but dug some clothes out of the garage to wear....

The cold weather I believe has triggered extreme hunger anyone else experienced this?
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

WifeOfJoel wrote:
thjj wrote:Dr. Gundry wrote that soy contains lectins, fyi..
I believe it's made from coconut; here are the ingredients from mint chip flavor:
ORGANIC COCONUTMILK (FILTERED WATER, ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM), CHOCOLATE FLAKE [ORGANIC COCONUT OIL, COCOA, CHICORY ROOT EXTRACT, ERYTHRITOL, CHOCOLATE LIQUOR, NATURAL FLAVOR, STEVIA LEAF EXTRACT), CHICORY ROOT EXTRACT, ACACIA GUM, ERYTHRITOL, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, PEA PROTEIN, GUAR GUM, SEA SALT, LOCUST BEAN GUM, MONK FRUIT EXTRACT, NATURAL FLAVOR.
Oh, so it's So Delicious Dairy Free No Added Sugar Ice Cream, not Soy Delicious. Yum, I'll have to try that!
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
baysidewalk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by baysidewalk »

I agree about staying away from the artificial sweeteners, even stevia. I've found I don't miss it as much when I can have a small piece of DARK chocolate. I'm doing 1/4 square of 92% Then I heard that many brands of chocolate contain lead -- some a little, some a lot. So I did some research. The Ghirardelli Intense Dark Moonlight Mystique is not supposed to have any lead. It's 92% cacao but I've gotten to like it and it's a daily treat or when I'm depressed. Also they sell it at Target and it's under $4 for a large bar. I miss ice cream too. Especially chocolate chip.
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Plumster wrote:FIVE MINUTE CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
INGREDIENTS:
2 large bananas, frozen (see note)
2 tablespoons soy, hemp or almond milk
2 regular dates or 1 medjool date, pitted
1-2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract or pure vanilla bean powder
INSTRUCTIONS:
Add non-dairy milk, dates, cocoa powder and vanilla to a high-powered blender and start to blend. Drop frozen banana pieces in slowly. Add additional non-dairy milk if needed to reach desired consistency.
Note: Freeze ripe bananas at least 8 hours in advance. Peel bananas and seal in a plastic bag before freezing.
Hi Plumster--Looks like a nice recipe for when you just need something a little sweet. Is it ok for me to add this to the Recipes Wiki?
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Is it ok for me to add this to the Recipes Wiki?
Yes of course!
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
PSu82537%a6r_dnz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PSu82537%a6r_dnz »

here is a completely unscientific, purely personal account of what sweets can do: I was on a hike that was much too long and physically demanding, completely out of my league. I must have looked pretty pitiful, because a woman riding by on horseback stopped and gave me a Snickers bar. I hesitated but was unable to resist. About an hour or two after eating the candy bar I got back to my car overwhelmed with the urge for more sugar. I was driving through Petaluma desperately looking for an open donut shop, but it was late evening so I found nothing. I am absolutely sure if I had found one, I would have eaten a dozen donuts. When I finally got home even the Mexican Restaurants were closed, so I ended up in my own kitchen. Fortunately no donuts there. It had been about a two and a half hour drive from the hike site to my home, and that entire time was spent fantasizing about finding a donut shop or a Mexican Restaurant and stuffing myself silly. My will power was completely absent. It reminds me of things I have read about drug addiction or alcoholism...how powerless the addict is in the presence of his target substance. For me at least, that substance is sugar. I don't know anything scientific about any differences between "real" sugar and sweetness from other sources, but I feel like I need to avoid it all.