Fellowship for kindred spirits.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Early Awareness of Alzheimer Disease: A Neurologist’s Personal Perspective

Post by TheBrain »

I though you might find this short JAMA Neurology article of interest:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamane ... le/2724326
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Early Awareness of Alzheimer Disease: A Neurologist’s Personal Perspective

Post by Stavia »

I cant access the full text. Did you?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Shoot. I did but now I can’t.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
PRESCOTT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PRESCOTT »

I was unable to download the piece. My local library is attempting to locate the Journal, print a copy for me. A tremendous service the public library is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

PRESCOTT wrote:I was unable to download the piece. My local library is attempting to locate the Journal, print a copy for me. A tremendous service the public library is!
Yes, the public library is a tremendous resource. I should take advantage of it! I used to, a lot.

The article is short but gives the perspective of a neurologist who has himself been diagnosed with early Alzheimer’s. As I recall, his first symptom was a loss of smell. He’s following a Mediterranean diet and doing a few other lifestyle interventions. He’s holding his own and is hoping for more years of that but expecting Alzheimer’s to progress in time. His email address is at the bottom of the article, and I wanted to email him and ask if he’s familiar with Dr. Bredesen’s work and all the additional interventions he could consider. I’d also tell him about ApoE4.Info. But now I can’t access the article, including his email address, though I do still see his name.

So... If you wouldn’t mind sending me a PM with the neurologist’s email address, I’ll follow through on that.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

I requested the article via my universities library. I should be able to share the email address soon.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Thanks, Fiver!
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Just got the article. Copyright prevents me from sharing the full text. But it is a one page account of progression, from about 50 to 62 years of age, of a neurologist who is 4/4 and participating in one of the BACE inhibitor trials. Interesting, but nothing really new to those who frequent the site. Dr. Gibbs is presently doing fairly well, following a general prevention lifestyle, and hoping for another 10 years living with mild cognitive impairment.

Here is the contact information:

Corresponding
Author: Daniel M.
Gibbs, MD, PhD,
Department of
Neurology, Oregon
Health & Science
University, 3181 SW
Sam Jackson Park Rd,
Portland, OR 97239
(dmgibbs47@gmail.
com).
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Thanks, Fiver. Much appreciated.
cflegal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cflegal »

"Cure" and "Alzheimer's" do not appear together. But it is obvious that chances for cure will be enhanced by the earliest possible awareness. Also we can assume that factors relating to "cure" are very similar to factors relating to "prevention."