Should I be concerned about losing so much body fat?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Should I be concerned about losing so much body fat?

Post by TheBrain »

mike wrote:
TheBrain wrote:Thanks, Mike. Somehow, I missed the fact that carbs and protein together can spike BG more than either alone. I've been thinking that protein curbs the BG spike from carbs.
Fat can slow the spike from carbs, but protein AND carbs give a higher spike than just the carbs. There is debate about protein alone. Some will argue that most is converted to glucose eventually and will raise glucose over a longer period. I've seen research that it is more demand driven - protein is converted to glucose as the body needs it. When doing an extended fast, my body keeps my BG high even though I'm not eating anything! I follow a way of eating where MINIMUM protein is set based on sex and height so as to not lose lean body mass, and it is much higher than most here follow. Likewise there is a max carb allowance. Fat is a range, depending on what you are trying to achieve - if you have your own stores of fat, then you consume less fat and use your body stores, whereas if you are skinny, then you eat more fat to maintain or increase weight.
I just made a batch of eight smoothies with two TB avocado oil per serving. I also added in an extra avocado. I do use berries but no other kind of fruit. (I made eight servings, ate one, and froze the rest.)

Do you have a formula you use for calculating the minimum protein based on sex and height (and I imagine it would include plant-based protein as well)? And is there also one for calculating the maximum carb allowance? I see the point about fat. I obviously need to eat more of it. I was eating more fat before I started on the low sulfur diet.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

TheBrain wrote:Do you have a formula you use for calculating the minimum protein based on sex and height (and I imagine it would include plant-based protein as well)? And is there also one for calculating the maximum carb allowance? I see the point about fat. I obviously need to eat more of it. I was eating more fat before I started on the low sulfur diet.
Here is a link that shows the chart. https://ketoconcern.com/okl-chart/
Remember, this will probably be a shocker to you - most folks here do not eat this much protein. For your 5'1" it says you should have at least 85 gr protein (animal or vegi) daily and a MAX of 21 gr net carbs and fat would be in the range 64 to 149 gr
Sonoma Mike
4/4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

You might be surprised that I'm not shocked by the recommendation to consume at least 85 grams of protein for my height. I've definitely needed more protein than most folks here. I recall using Cronometer a while back and coming up with a number in the 70s. And that was when I trying to limit my protein intake.

I look at Dr. Gundry's recommendation for animal protein (4 oz of white fish per day, if I recall correctly), and there's no way I can do that.

I'm most likely over the carbs limit. I need to do Cronometer to see where I stand on that, as well as on fiber intake.

Thank you again, Mike. You've been a big help.

P.S. And I definitely check out the other information on this page and this site.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

TheBrain wrote:I'm most likely over the carbs limit. I need to do Cronometer to see where I stand on that, as well as on fiber intake.
There is no set fiber, just subtract from total carbs - don't count towards your max carbs. Also, if you are thinking of following this "Way of Eating" (as they refer to it, as opposed to a diet, since this is forever.) you might want to look at the Optimal Ketogenic Living group on Facebook. It is a closed group, but you just need to ask to join. Once in, after reading the various intro docs, I would ask the originator Raymund Edwards about your specific conditions - he knows a lot, but can be hard to follow at times - thinks faster than he writes, probably.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

mike wrote:
TheBrain wrote:I'm most likely over the carbs limit. I need to do Cronometer to see where I stand on that, as well as on fiber intake.
There is no set fiber, just subtract from total carbs - don't count towards your max carbs. Also, if you are thinking of following this "Way of Eating" (as they refer to it, as opposed to a diet, since this is forever.) you might want to look at the Optimal Ketogenic Living group on Facebook. It is a closed group, but you just need to ask to join. Once in, after reading the various intro docs, I would ask the originator Raymund Edwards about your specific conditions - he knows a lot, but can be hard to follow at times - thinks faster than he writes, probably.
I understand that net carbs doesn't include fiber. I'm thinking of fiber intake because my GI doctor suggested I determine that.

Thanks for telling me about this closed Facebook group and Raymund Edwards. I am considering following this way of eating. I'll check out what else is on the site first and decide then if I want to ask to join the group.