Any NORCAL folks interested in a get together?

Conferences, webinars, and other gatherings; online and in person.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Any NORCAL folks interested in a get together?

Post by KatieS »

Thanks Mike for suggesting a NorCal gathering. I live a few hours away, but please keep me posted.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Sure thing. Does anyone have a minimum number of participants before we try to pick time and place? Any particular topics of interest?
Sonoma Mike
4/4
PSu82537%a6r_dnz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PSu82537%a6r_dnz »

Hi Mike….
Glad to see your suggestion is getting some traction. I have a question: would you, or do you think others might, have a problem with someone who wanted to participate anonymously? I don’t mean I want to wear a bag over my head, I am fine with being face to face with other members of our community. But I would be concerned with using full real name or talking about place of residence, current employment etc. I feel the need to explain. When I first learned of being E4 positive, I was a bit unsettled, and I did some inappropriate over-sharing that I now regret. It’s a bell you can’t un-ring. Many people outside our community are unable to process the nuances and subtleties of being E4 positive, having some negative family history, but being personally asymptomatic and wanting to stay asymptomatic. I don’t really blame them, it is a complex subject that takes some real energy to focus on and process. Unfortunately, some just summarize it into “he has Alzheimer’s”. I have reasons that are personal/professional/social/employment-related that I don’t want to wear that label unless or until it is actually true. I really admire the courage of those among us who choose to use their real name as their user ID, and even post their picture. They are braver than me and I think they are great. Maybe someday I’ll get to that point, but I’m not there now.
So I would like to participate in your meetup, but only if nobody would be offended that my nametag is just “PSu82”. What do you think? Country and western fans could refer to me as “The boy named Sue”.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

PSu82537%a6r_dnz wrote:...I have a question: would you, or do you think others might, have a problem with someone who wanted to participate anonymously? I don’t mean I want to wear a bag over my head, I am fine with being face to face with other members of our community. But I would be concerned with using full real name or talking about place of residence, current employment etc... Country and western fans could refer to me as “The boy named Sue”.
Hi "Boy Named Sue"!
I won't presume to speak for Mike, but know that I wouldn't mind at all meeting you for coffee--especially if I could startle people by saying "Meet my friend Sue!" Personally, I know of people who have used their dog's name as their user name (which was cute in their case, but in my case would make me "Wilbur"). So I hope you do get the chance to join a NorCal meet-up, and use whatever nom de plume suits you. It is reasonable for many people to keep this information to trusted family for multiple reasons. As for your current name, I'd guess you are either a high-level "coder" who writes unbreakable computer code in your sleep, or a savant with photographic memory. Either way, we're glad to have you, bag or no bag.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

PS, one of our Indy meetup members did the same. I’m sure that Mike will agree; any level of disclosure is fine. No judgement.
Metta4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Metta4 »

Hi all,

Count me in. I live in the East Bay, but don't mind driving to other counties (on a weekend).
I'm fine disclosing my name P2P, but don't want identifying data available to be scraped from a web site. There is no perfect online security and I admire all of you who are "out."

In the US I think we're a breath away from losing coverage due to pre-existing conditions, and I am not sanguine about insurance companies refusing coverage based on genetic status. As we've learned, any law can be overturned.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

How are we supposed to pronounce PSu82!? I'm okay with whatever name, and completely understand anyone wanting to stay In the closet about this. I myself am about to get a government pension, so I'm feeling less concerned than I might otherwise. It's already too late for me to get long term care...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
PSu82537%a6r_dnz
Contributor
Contributor

I'm going to say the "P" is silent, and the digits are overlooked, so that leaves me with Su, which can be pronounced as "Sue", or maybe "Sioux". Again, thanks for your suggestion of this meetup and I look forward to the selection of a date and venue.
PSu82537%a6r_dnz
Contributor
Contributor

NF52 wrote: I wouldn't mind at all meeting you for coffee--especially if I could startle people by saying "Meet my friend Sue!"
When I noted your location of "Eastern U. S." I somehow assumed that meant the New England area so it was unlikely our paths would ever cross. But I do have plans to be in the Daytona, Florida area in early May, and that is also part of the Eastern U. S.. So if you're anywhere near Daytona in early May, the coffee would be on me. And if you ever come to San Francisco, the coffee would be on me there too.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

PSu82537%a6r_dnz wrote:When I noted your location of "Eastern U. S." I somehow assumed that meant the New England area so it was unlikely our paths would ever cross. But I do have plans to be in the Daytona, Florida area in early May, and that is also part of the Eastern U. S.. So if you're anywhere near Daytona in early May, the coffee would be on me. And if you ever come to San Francisco, the coffee would be on me there too.
Have to pass on both for now, more's the pity. More mid-Atlantic, although New England is a favorite place to visit.
4/4 and still an optimist!