Shock news from 23and me.

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Shock news from 23and me.

Post by hairyfairy »

Iv`e just had a new report from 23and me. Apparently I have a 22 percent risk of type 2 diabetes on top of all the other diseases that I`m predisposed to. It seems that alzheimers, age related macular degeneration and coeliac disease weren`t enough, Mother nature decided to dump something else on me as well. is a predisposition to diabetes linked to the apoe4 gene?
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Shock news from 23and me.

Post by mike »

hairyfairy wrote:is a predisposition to diabetes linked to the apoe4 gene?
Diabetes is a risk factor for AD, but I don't think they've officially linked it to E4. I don't know about the reverse. I've been a diabetic for 20 years, and I've always been an "interesting case" in that I did not respond the way other diabetics did to various medications - which I now believe is because of my 4/4 status. Did 23andMe not specify which genes resulted in the higher risk?
Sonoma Mike
4/4
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hairyfairy »

No.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

I looked at my Diabetes report from 23andMe, according to them, I have a slightly higher (27%) than normal of getting it between now and when I die... :lol:
Sonoma Mike
4/4
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hairyfairy »

I can`t figure out how one person (me) can be predisposed to so many diseases. My ancestors really sucked!
Creekside
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Creekside »

hairyfairy wrote:I can`t figure out how one person (me) can be predisposed to so many diseases. My ancestors really sucked!
The silver lining from my perspective is that one key step (lowering insulin levels and in consequence glucose) seems to be helpful for all of those diseases.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

mike wrote:
hairyfairy wrote:is a predisposition to diabetes linked to the apoe4 gene?
Diabetes is a risk factor for AD, but I don't think they've officially linked it to E4. I don't know about the reverse. I've been a diabetic for 20 years, and I've always been an "interesting case" in that I did not respond the way other diabetics did to various medications - which I now believe is because of my 4/4 status. Did 23andMe not specify which genes resulted in the higher risk?
FWIW, according to https://permalinks.23andme.com/pdf/23_1 ... ch2019.pdf it appears they base the genetics on this GWAS study:
Scott, R. A. et al. An Expanded Genome-Wide Association Study of Type 2 Diabetes in Europeans. Diabetes 66, 2888–2902 (2017).
Scott et al, Risk allele frequency.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

hairyfairy wrote:I can`t figure out how one person (me) can be predisposed to so many diseases. My ancestors really sucked!
I sympathize, some of my ancestors did too & unfortunately we cannot choose our parents :lol:
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
AnnK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AnnK »

Hi Hairy Fairy!

Looking at the brighter side of life...always remember that genetics are not destiny. My soon to be 87 year old Mother is a 3/4 and per 23andMe [like yourself] she has genetic risks for AD, Macular Degeneration, and Celiac Disease, plus a 25% lifetime risk of Type 2 Diabetes. As of today, she has not been diagnosed with any of these diseases. She is borderline obese, has high cholesterol but cannot tolerate statins, eats a Standard American Diet including plenty of gluten, smoked heavily all the way through her 50's, and has consumed alcohol regularly as well. As a ray of hope for others, there surely must be some modifier/protective genes offsetting her genetic risks...remain hopeful that your ancestors passed along plenty of the good genes too :)

Take care,
AnnK
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hairyfairy »

I was taught that evolution was survival of the fittest, which begs the question, what am I doing here? My genes should have been eliminated thousands of years ago.